BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81504 - 02/24/09 02:53 PM (pearl) ball suggestion for a not so fresh THS
Lebman Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 24/m/Austria
Hi everyone

Since my Jazz is pretty much dead after 400 games and 2 revivals and the bridge is starting to crack (again after 2 redrillings) I'm forced to get a new ball for THS.

I'm thinking of getting a pearl ball, and this time I want something stronger than the jazz. I have a Rival for fresh oil so I'm pretty much set when it comes to smooth/rolly balls.

I want something skid/flippy for when the lanes break down after the 2nd game or so. I have a higher speed to rev ratio so I need something strong with a lot of recovery. I'm currently in the process oflearning how to play deeper lines when I have to, so Ineed a ball that complements that.

Balls I've been looking at:

Cell pearl
Rapid Fire pearl
Gravity shift

The rapid fire pearl looks especially intriguing.
Any other balls I should look into?
What would you guys recommend?

Edited by Lebman (02/24/09 03:08 PM)

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#81507 - 02/24/09 03:30 PM Re: (pearl) ball suggestion for a not so fresh THS [Re: Lebman]
Dan300 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40s/M/Woodbridge, VA
The Cell Pearl.

I got one last week, short pin drilled for length and snap. Bowled late shift (read: beat up THS) on friday and shot 695 with it. That's on top of the 723 I bowled last wednesday on a fresh THS.
300s: 13 total

Season (14-15):
----
HSS: 822
HSG: 300(2)

Averages(1/8/15):
----
Composite: 225
WMCL: 235
Stan Soaper: 219
Men's Automotive: 220

Balls(15#):
----
HyperCell Skid
HyperCell
Infinite Theory
Wrecker

#81508 - 02/24/09 03:31 PM Re: (pearl) ball suggestion for a not so fresh THS [Re: Lebman]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Street Rod Pearl, T-Road Pearl, Hy-Road, Wrath Dead Flush, Pin Slasher (I think that is a pearl ball), maybe the Playmaker, I think one of Hornet balls by Lane Masters I believe is a pearl (the Buzz, Sting, Hornet), the Black Pearl as well...just to name a few. grin
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#81509 - 02/24/09 03:38 PM Re: (pearl) ball suggestion for a not so fresh THS [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Lebman Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 24/m/Austria
I'm greatful for any input I get DemoMan, but why just throw out names of random pearl balls that don't even fit my criteria (except the wrath dead flush and maybe the T-road pearl)

I bought all the 2007/2008 back issues of BTM so I pretty much know every ball by name and it's rough specs.
A little bit more detail would be great DemolitionMan.

Thanks for your input on the Cell Dan300.

I'd love to hear more about the RapidFirePearl tho.

#81512 - 02/24/09 03:48 PM Re: (pearl) ball suggestion for a not so fresh THS [Re: Lebman]
tomgriffin Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 27/m/nj
2nd Dimension - I use this ball for the exact condition you describe. When there's not enough oil to carry my Virtual Gravity (OOB) down the lane, the 2nd Dimension comes out. It's worked great for me. Some folks have mentioned a lot of over/under reaction - just knock some of the polish off and it should work for exactly what you're looking for (skid/flip/continuation).

TG

#81515 - 02/24/09 03:54 PM Re: (pearl) ball suggestion for a not so fresh THS [Re: tomgriffin]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I will second Toms input. 2D would be a good ball for what you are describing. 4000 abralon would be perfect.

#81517 - 02/24/09 04:33 PM Re: (pearl) ball suggestion for a not so fresh THS [Re: General Pounder]
Sam Elias Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 15/Male/Indiana/USA
Cell Pearl is a big definite. I've had mine for about 3 months, and it's amazing. Make sure you maintain it. I don't wash my towels that much, so it's made the coverstock kind of grimy, and it tends to roll out now. Nothing that can't be helped by keeping clean towels though. And if not, a quick sand and polish will work wonders.

Anyways, just about the best ball money can buy!

#81528 - 02/24/09 05:44 PM Re: (pearl) ball suggestion for a not so fresh THS [Re: Lebman]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Originally Posted By: Lebman
I'm greatful for any input I get DemoMan, but why just throw out names of random pearl balls that don't even fit my criteria (except the wrath dead flush and maybe the T-road pearl)

I'd love to hear more about the RapidFirePearl tho.

Because a lot of those are weaker balls with pearl coverstocks which is my understanding of what you were looking for. Each of those can be drilled skid/flip and can be used on lanes that are breaking or broken down. Besides a lot of the balls people are recommending and you yourself are suggesting are too strong in my opinion.

I forgot to mention that there are a couple of Track balls in the Kinetic line that are really good set up skid/flip pearl or not.

Besides it sounds like you've already made up your mind. I would've mentioned the Rapid Fire Pearl but you already seem to like it. Why not get it? Check the reviews on it and talk to Storm and your Pro Shot. Honestly, I think that the T-Road Pearl would be better than the Rapid Fire Pearl, but that's me. The Hy-Road is a hybrid that might suit you as well.

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (02/24/09 05:52 PM)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#81568 - 02/24/09 10:17 PM Re: (pearl) ball suggestion for a not so fresh THS [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
If you look at the vids on Storms site, Jason Belmonte talks about his progression when bowling with the T-Roads. He used to go from the T-Road Pearl to the Solid when he had carry down. Now, he goes to the Hy-Road after the Pearl.

#81573 - 02/24/09 10:44 PM Re: (pearl) ball suggestion for a not so fresh THS [Re: General Pounder]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
I feel I should add my thoughts on this.

I sort of agree with Demo's thoughts. The Cell Pearl and Gravity Shift, in my opinion, are too strong for what you want. They still handle medium+ oil which is not much weaker than the Rival. The Rapid Fire Pearl is a possibility as it's not quite as strong but I've heard it still handles oil well.

I'd normally suggest something a little weaker like the T-Road Pearl, but since your speed is higher, I say the RFP would be good. It has a lot of backend which is what you're looking for, I'd lean towards that or even the Roto Grip Illusion.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Richie V. - Today at 04:06 PM
Mo Pinel "Striking Effectively In Today's Game"
by BOSStull - 10/14/18 06:16 AM
Buying new house shoes.
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:58 AM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 10/11/18 05:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.