BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 72 of 315 < 1 2 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 314 315 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#81190 - 02/22/09 02:14 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
Awww, Demo...sorry about your Thursday, but you came back, so well, feather in your cap for rebounding.

Speaking of cocky and being wary of it, Demo, shot a comfortable 222, 235, 225: 682 on Saturday morning. Lanes were so cake, really...I mean, had a huge oops line both in and out of the mark. Shift's working just fine--balls out and in pocket as advertised, but I made really stoopid, careless spare mistakes that cost the easiest high 700 (maybe 8? Coulda...maybe. Guess we'll never know.)

I mean, primo conditions, but what I think brought me down was listening to other bowlers. It's a VERY small, friendly, social league with people I like, and truth be told, they're, you know, not good form bowlers and that's fine, but I have to be careful to tune out their "Oh, you should be a pro..." and "You must've bowled lots of 300s..." and "I wish I could bowl like you." Oh, wait...a new one I haven't heard either in a while or ever: "Your worst is our best." Nice, real nice for the ego.

Just sssssshhhh...don't listen. There's no answer for them: "Oh, there are WAY better folks out there, they're just not here!" and "Meh, lanes're cake, and I'm lucky today." And my personal fave: "It costs a lot of money to bowl like this." (To the tune and manner of Dolly Parton's "Costs a lot of money to look this cheap.)

I do my best to keep a level head, laugh and carry on with them, but well, ya get a little too relaxed on first ball after a few, measured off/on strings of Xs, leave a 7-10 split or easy spare in the 9th and get all "Oh, well, I'M an up and comer and KING KONG ain't got (so censored) on me--boo yah!" WHAM! "Oh...so tanked that 6-10. Ummm. I. Don't. Miss....those. Heh, heh."

Don't get like that on Thursday where competition is high, majority of bowlers are great and better than me, and I can roll my game and be shhh about it.

What's my point? Big fish + small pond does not equal or worse than little fish + big pond? Something like that. Mind your Ps & Qs? Your bowling prowess is all relative to the moment and place? What?

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#81201 - 02/22/09 02:56 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Domokun]
g00b3r Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 22, Eastern Iowa
Went cosmic/glow bowling solo...there were riots around me but for some reason I felt pretty good.

217-239-190 for a 643 series. I think I did will second game because of a guy beside me who is a "shovel" type bowler and was trying to show me up...subconsciously I really wasn't having that.

Brings my year-to-date average back up over 200.

On a bad note, my thumb slug on my wild ride got hit by something on the way back up the ball return and is now jammed about a 1/4 inch into the thumb hole...I didn't notice it during my third game and ripped my thumb up..finished last game with my Shock Zone.

Edited by g00b3r (02/22/09 03:02 PM)

Series Bowled: 14
Total Pinfall: 8676
Average: 206.6
High Game/Series: 279/738

Bag: 15#
Brunswick Wild Ride
Brunswick BVP Sidewinder
Brunswick Shock Zone Pro
Storm Trauma Recovery
Storm Fear Factor

#81240 - 02/22/09 08:55 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: g00b3r]
One Pin Standing Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 44/Male/Forsyth Co., GA. USA
I bowled with the wife today just for fun. I bowled the last two games as "spare practice". I let my wife bowl first and I "cleaned up" what she left. Kinda fun. The only drawback was when she didn't leave anything, which today was a higher percentage than usual so..........good for her!!!!!!!!!!! If she gets much better I'll have to abandon this practice........LOL.

In the bag:

811C/T
300C
300A
912T
508A
811ASE

#81336 - 02/23/09 05:40 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Domokun]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Thanks Domo, but it still isn't an excuse though. I didn't execute, and that is something I have to do on a consistent basis. Hopefully, I'll get it down this week. What is going to be scary for a lot of teams is that since I've been slumping my average is lower and if I start throwing 600+ series we'll get a lot of points.

I got a compliment the other night by some of the bowlers on the team we were bowling against. Both were coaches for a long time in the sport and said that I had one of the smoothest and nicest approaches they've have seen. That actually made me happy because I don't think my swing is the smoothest, but if bowling coaches with 50+ years experince are saying otherwise, who am I to disagree.

On a side note I'm getting my plastic ball for my spares drilled today. Hopefully, I'll have it by Wednesday and I'll be able to log some hours with it before league.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#81410 - 02/24/09 01:12 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Upriser Offline
2 x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 34/male/australia/south austra...
leauge last night, 204,172,179 = 555. team won first two and took series. went 3 from 4 on the seven pin (very troublesome!) and am finally starting to win that battle!
Storm Heat
Track Spare

#81417 - 02/24/09 02:38 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Upriser]
Columbee Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 35 / Male / Singapore
Going for league games on thursday for the first time. Although have played a couple of tournaments for the few months, league games will definitely test my consistency. Hopefully, i won't let my teammates down.
Lanemaster - Terminator Rebellion
HG: 266
HS: 652
Avg : 190

#81430 - 02/24/09 07:34 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Columbee]
Dan300 Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 40s/M/Woodbridge, VA
(posted this in Fall/Winter Leagues 2008, figured I'd post here too)

I think I'm finally getting off the schneid. Well, kinda. For 7 series in a row I was right around my average (206). Nothing higher than 629 nothing lower than 603. The past 4 series have seen me roll 723, 613, 695, and tonight I went 199-233-224-656.

But more importantly, going into tonight we were tied for first. Tonight was position round and we SWEPT the other team. We're in first by 7 points with 9 weeks to go in the season. This is a big money league too. But that said, every other week is position round so it'd be very easy to slide back. Gotta stay aggressive.
300s: 13 total

Season (14-15):
----
HSS: 822
HSG: 300(2)

Averages(1/8/15):
----
Composite: 225
WMCL: 235
Stan Soaper: 219
Men's Automotive: 220

Balls(15#):
----
HyperCell Skid
HyperCell
Infinite Theory
Wrecker

#81432 - 02/24/09 08:35 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Dan300]
ruleof72 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 46/M/Atlanta, GA
I had our Monday night mixed league last night and probably bowled my best ever. It wasn't my highest series but it was my most consistent. I bowled a 170-157-179 for a 506. As you may have seen I posted a video the other day and got some great feedback. The major thing was that I looked to be afraid to throw the ball, mostly due to a poor fit.

Well last night I got some tape for the thumb hole, which made a big difference, and concentrated on a smooth, tension free swing. It seemed to work and I feel a lot better about my game. I made a bunch more spares than normal and the strikes were more solid.

I'm getting the ball re-drilled to a finger tip grip this week. Hopefully that will help things even more once I get used to it.

Arsenal:
Power Grove Reactive 15#

My Book:Beyond The Twelve-Ounce Curl: The Beer Lover's Guide to Having Your Brew and Being Fit, Too!

#81455 - 02/24/09 10:28 AM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
Hey, the experienced coaches were paying attention to you, AND paid a compliment, AND they were the opposition. That's an even bigger feather in your cap! I'm predicting a quick end to the slump.

Had a big burp last night myself: 226, 154, 202: 582. Just didn't put the burned out Shift away soon enough. Need to learn to not force it beyond its lifespan. I could blame the blocked lanes, but feh, I know better than that. Team split points so well, it is what it is.

Wish you good Execution this week, Demo.

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#81494 - 02/24/09 02:26 PM Re: What'd You bowl today? [Re: Domokun]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Originally Posted By: Domokun
Hey, the experienced coaches were paying attention to you, AND paid a compliment, AND they were the opposition. That's an even bigger feather in your cap! I'm predicting a quick end to the slump.

Wish you good execution this week, Demo.

Thanks Domo. I hope I execute well this week as well. Unfortunately, I won't have any time to get used to my plastic spare ball before Thursday night league. That has me a little concerned. I might just forgo using it and wait until I can figure out a targeting system and whatnot. I don't know.

As for the compliment that I received that made me very happy as well. I think I'm close to being out of this slump. I haven't thrown under 500 in three weeks (knock on wood) grin, my spare shooting is getting better and aside from some minor approach issues like drifting I'm doing pretty well overall. Hopefully, once I get things straight I'll be able to expand and move onto things like different releases and axis rotations and whatnot. Plus it helps well you have a beast like the BW Solid to help you out. thumbsup
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Page 72 of 315 < 1 2 ... 70 71 72 73 74 ... 314 315 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Any interest in a winter virtual league?
by SteveH - 11/19/17 10:22 PM
Nothing worse than falling apart late in a game
by Jason_C - 11/19/17 10:04 PM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - 11/19/17 09:15 PM
Which ball
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 06:18 PM
Entry Angle
by djp1080 - 11/19/17 12:09 PM
Honor scores 2017-18
by Fin09 - 11/17/17 07:27 PM
My low track
by Jason_C - 11/17/17 01:38 PM
Back-up Bowling
by djp1080 - 11/16/17 08:31 PM
Has this happenned to any one
by 82Boat69 - 11/14/17 01:24 PM
Two handed with pinky and ring
by Dylan585 - 11/13/17 02:48 PM
2017 U.S. Open
by Dylan585 - 11/12/17 05:48 PM
Storm Hy-Road Surface
by SteveH - 11/05/17 09:51 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2017 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.