BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80976 - 02/20/09 06:04 PM Your Advice?
tomgriffin Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 27/m/nj
This is the second time I've posted. I'm trying to take the muscle out of my arm swing, but it loses its fluidity at the release. Anyone have any other tips?

Ball is the new 2nd Dimension by Storm.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#80985 - 02/20/09 07:27 PM Re: Your Advice? [Re: tomgriffin]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
I think the first thing you have to work on is getting to the line. You've moving the ball way to early and then you run to the line. You should be walking to the line.

If you're going to take 5 steps, you shouldn't be moving the ball until your second step. You're a full step early now. On top of having to run to the line, you have to slow the ball down to.

So slow down and move the ball a full step later than you're moving it now. Then you can move on to other things.

#80987 - 02/20/09 07:36 PM Re: Your Advice? [Re: Lefty]
tomgriffin Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 27/m/nj
I try to drop the ball in sync with my second step. Should I be waiting till my second step is complete (should the ball drop when my right foot hits the approach)?

#80999 - 02/20/09 08:15 PM Re: Your Advice? [Re: tomgriffin]
Lefty Offline
Legend

Looking at it again, it's not as early as I originally thought, but it's still early. You're in time by your 3rd step, but you have to rush your feet to get there.

The traditional 5 step was to push the ball out with the second step and then let it drop when your right foot hit the floor. The ball and your left leg should pass each other at the bottom of the swing during the 3rd step. You have that part, but again, your feet race to get there.

A lot of people now advise against pushing the ball out all the way because it tends to pull you over and people will catch the ball and control it as it swings.

What I'd do is delay the ball dropping until your right foot hits the floor and see how that effects your footwork. You should be able to slow down. Once you get the feel for that cadence, you can then possibly work on a "sliding hinge" armswing where you don't extend the ball the whole way.

#81003 - 02/20/09 08:22 PM Re: Your Advice? [Re: Lefty]
Lefty Offline
Legend

Also remember, letting the ball drop means exactly that - Let it drop like it's going to hit the floor. You're still guiding it and slowing it down. put the weight of the ball in your left hand and make yourself completely relax your right hand, shoulder and arm. Let the ball drop by removing your left hand and focus on not engaging your right arm muscles at all for the entire swing. The ball will swing faster and higher than it does now.

#81014 - 02/20/09 08:51 PM Re: Your Advice? [Re: tomgriffin]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
On top of the great advice Lefty has already given you, try to just walk to the foul line, start the ball with your right foot, don't extend the ball so far out in front of you, try not to let your elbow straighten until the ball passes it, let the ball swing your arm, and lay the ball down 6" past the foul line without trying to hook the ball.

Hook comes from keeping your hand in a strong position until the release and then letting the ball roll off your hand, not yanking and cranking on the ball, you are working way too hard, so stop trying to hook the ball and just roll it.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.