BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80387 - 02/17/09 06:57 PM Pocket Splits
LadyYork Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: United States
How can I get away from pocket splits ? I am left handed. I have moved to the right , moved up and back. Any suggestions ?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#80392 - 02/17/09 07:24 PM Re: Pocket Splits [Re: LadyYork]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Well, typically a pocket split is caused by a ball deflecting too much off of the pins. This ball deflection is caused by a number of things. If the ball is moving quite slow, it will loose energy faster as it rolls down the lane. Less energy means less hit on the pins. If the ball is lightweight, say 11# or less, maybe eve 12#, They start putting cores in the 13# balls sometimes, if they are generic cores though. The actual core shapes, since they are so heavy, can only be put into balls weighing 14, 15, or 16 lbs. The lighter the ball the easier it is for the ball to kick off the pins. The whole deck of 10 pins weighs close to 40 lbs whereas even the heaviest of balls only has 16. If you are using a 10# ball you're hitting the pins with about a fourth of their weight. Imagine a school yard fight with those odds...

also, if the ball hooks late and hits too far back on the head pin the pins will kick out differently due to both light and heavy shots. Too much through the nose leaves nasty splits, and too much on the 3, for right handers and 2 for the leftys, and you also get weak leaves.

If the ball is revving very little, like a straight ball, there is a much higher chance that the ball will not drive through the deck at the proper entry angle and will bounce upon hitting the pins rather than following the angle through.

Finally, if the ball rolls out and ends up hitting flat, means the ball looses a lot, most, of its energy down the lane, it won't have the necessary hook power to pull through the rack and will again kick off the pins.

To stop this problem, it is a solution of each issue. Use a heavy enough ball, get enough speed down to avoid early hooking, shoot a line that will avoid hitting high or low in the pocket, avoid rolling out when on too dry a surface by playing through the oil remaining in the heads, and don't try to force revolutions since it often kills them instead. (Also, revving isn't everything so don't be overly concerned if you can't get it spinning like tommy jones)

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#80402 - 02/17/09 08:20 PM Re: Pocket Splits [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
What splits are we talking about?
HS:763

#80415 - 02/17/09 10:12 PM Re: Pocket Splits [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
As a lady bowler there are a few things that you probably are not doing that can help with this.

1. keep your wrist firm and straight, wear a wrist support if you have to.

2. use a ball weighing at least 13 to 14lbs. If you use anything 12-13 and under you will just have to live with pocket splits; there's little help for it.

3. Learn to release the ball from a lowered position. This means your knee is bent your hips lowered and you stay down at the line.

4. you do not throw a back up ball or reverse curve. So if you are right handed, your ball hooks from right to left. Left handed it should hook from left to right. If it fades back left as it gets to the pocket you are throwing a back up ball. A back up ball has considerably less power in the pocket.

5. learn not to fall off the shot to the left. If your left foot steps off, then you are losing leverage and power.

6. use a ball (drilled fingertip) with a cover suited for your ball speed and lane condition. If you have slower ball speed, don't use a dull ball.

It all boils down getitng some lessons. A series of maybe 6 lessons should help greatly in improving your average and ball reaction.

Erin

#80460 - 02/18/09 01:44 AM Re: Pocket Splits [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Sounds like you are experiencing deflection. Your ball bounces off the head pin, back to the 2. My guess is you leave a fair amount of 5-10's. It's your ball weight. It is too weak to finish.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
New Center an League
by BOSStull - 09/18/21 11:41 AM
Fall Winter 2021 Leagues
by BOSStull - 09/16/21 05:03 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by Mkirchie - 09/12/21 08:46 PM
Looking for New Balls After 5 year Layoff
by 82Boat69 - 09/12/21 03:29 PM
microfiber towel or shammy
by djp1080 - 09/04/21 07:37 PM
UBB Message We encountered a problem. The reason r
by BOSStull - 09/04/21 05:06 PM
bowling slide
by BOSStull - 09/04/21 04:58 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.