BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80317 - 02/17/09 05:53 AM Sport/PBA Conditions
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
In general, what equipment and lane play strategies do you guys use on these tougher conditions? Do you try to apply "straighter is greater" or do you find it easier to swing the ball a decent amount? Do you prefer balls that are smoother or balls that provide more change of direction downlane?

In my PBAX league I think I deal with a good amount of over/under, and I'm constantly searching for a line that's going to minimize that. Depending on where the breakpoint is supposed to be, which I have a tough time identifying as it is, I have troubles staying right of 10 at the arrows on most patterns. That's where I'd like to play to keep it pretty simple.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#80322 - 02/17/09 08:46 AM Re: Sport/PBA Conditions [Re: Jay R.]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
For me it all depends on the pattern:

Cheetah I play 20-6 (feet-target) on most ocassions. This is also on Synthetic surfaces.

Shark I play deep and just have the ball roll up onto the pocket. Something like 29-16 ball gets out to about 14 and flips right before the pocket. Very similar to the lines Pete Weber plays with that quick move to the pocket.

Chameleon I actually play way outside, usually 8-1. I know this is not the normal alignment but I would say I get better carry from there than most get playing the prefered line. I just let the ball feed straight up 1, make its move down lane and square up to the pocket. I would say this is my best pattern average wise.

Viper, sorry no help, never bowled on that pattern.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#80356 - 02/17/09 02:19 PM Re: Sport/PBA Conditions [Re: sk8shorty01]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I tried my hand at these patterns myself. It wasn't the greatest experience, mostly because I didn't understand a lot of the mechanics of the game that I do now i.e. free swing, your fit being right etc.

Regardless, I prefer to go up the boards myself. I found that straighter, but further outside, on the Shark and Chameleon worked well for me. Playing 20-10 on the Viper seemed to work well for me as well. The Cheetah I couldn't figure out so well. I'm not a big bender player. I found that weaker balls seemed to work well on the higher scoring patterns like the Cheetah for me. The Scorpion was the biggest pain for me. It was like longer heavier house shot. I just couldn't get the ball to hook.

Take this with a grain of salt though. Like i said, my game was vastly different then. And on top of that, there was a junior league that bowled before us on the lanes. So by the time I got to the lanes, they already had 4 games on them, so I never got to see a fresh shot.

I think I'll try one of these types of leagues again, but in 2-3 years when my game as evolved a bit more and my fundamentals are solid.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#80376 - 02/17/09 05:33 PM Re: Sport/PBA Conditions [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
With the little experience I have on PBA patterns I learned I had to be a lot nicer at the line than your grip and rip routine of a THS. I found the Cheetah and the Shark the most troubling. Too much friction on the Cheetah and a severe over under with the Shark.

Basically I played them all with the straighter is greater mentality except the Shark. I had to play deeper and couldn't swing it as far right as I was use to in leagues. I found success with slowing my feet down and getting out of the ball clean. Miss your mark a little bit, tug or push it and you paid full price. I only had 1-2 passes through the patterns but I found them very playable(HGS: 277 on the Chameleon). Youre room for error was a lot smaller. I also found it really screwed my timing up going back to a THS.
Storm - Natural

#80380 - 02/17/09 06:13 PM Re: Sport/PBA Conditions [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
On the fresh patterns, I play fairly straight and will match ball surface with the length/volume of the pattern. On the fresh, you need to stay away from balls that make a very sudden move at the break point. Arc is what you want. After plowing an area out on the right side of the lane, I'll gradually move in and stay with the same ball until it stops carrying. At that point, I'll swith to a ball with a little more pop at the break point.

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#80384 - 02/17/09 06:32 PM Re: Sport/PBA Conditions [Re: Silent Mike]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: Silent Mike
With the little experience I have on PBA patterns I learned I had to be a lot nicer at the line than your grip and rip routine of a THS. I found the Cheetah and the Shark the most troubling. Too much friction on the Cheetah and a severe over under with the Shark.

Basically I played them all with the straighter is greater mentality except the Shark. I had to play deeper and couldn't swing it as far right as I was use to in leagues. I found success with slowing my feet down and getting out of the ball clean. Miss your mark a little bit, tug or push it and you paid full price. I only had 1-2 passes through the patterns but I found them very playable(HGS: 277 on the Chameleon). Youre room for error was a lot smaller. I also found it really screwed my timing up going back to a THS.

We're trying to get a Sport League going here for next year. I think it would be very interesting, and am looking forward to the challenge.

Anyway, my question for you is, how is it that your timing would get messed up for THS? I would expect that bowling on a tougher condition that a Sport League presents, would make your Execution better, which I would think would translate to even better scores on the easier THS???
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

#80386 - 02/17/09 06:56 PM Re: Sport/PBA Conditions [Re: trekguy]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Since you are bowling on a tougher shot, you start to try to control things, or give the ball a little more help, etc. Things you would not normally do on a house shot where you have lots of room and free hook near the gutter. Bowling on a sport shot doesn't fix your problems, it magnifies them. If you don't have a good pair of eyes watching/coaching you, it can make you a worse bowler, and be no fun to boot.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#80413 - 02/17/09 09:59 PM Re: Sport/PBA Conditions [Re: Chubbs]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
Quote:
On the fresh patterns, I play fairly straight and will match ball surface with the length/volume of the pattern. On the fresh, you need to stay away from balls that make a very sudden move at the break point. Arc is what you want. After plowing an area out on the right side of the lane, I'll gradually move in and stay with the same ball until it stops carrying. At that point, I'll swith to a ball with a little more pop at the break point.

I assume arc is what you want if you're having troubles getting the ball to hook and if you're playing straighter. On all the patterns, hook was the least of my troubles(unless I missed right of course). It's been a matter of accuracy/consistency more than antyhing. Either I have to hit a certain board or I lose the pocket. The plus side is, my carry is really good from outside where I play. I don't know if moving in gives me more room but I imagine it takes a toll on my carry.

The only pattern I got a little room on was the Viper when I play almost straight up 5.

Is there a breakpoint for each pattern that's set in stone, give or take? I was thinking you could play varying breakpoints by switching the line up(i.e swinging it out to 8, but playeding a straighter line to 5 for the breakpoints). At that point, it comes down to where you feel most comfortable and what will give you the most room for error, right?

#80421 - 02/17/09 10:44 PM Re: Sport/PBA Conditions [Re: cgeorg]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
Since you are bowling on a tougher shot, you start to try to control things, or give the ball a little more help, etc. Things you would not normally do on a house shot where you have lots of room and free hook near the gutter. Bowling on a sport shot doesn't fix your problems, it magnifies them. If you don't have a good pair of eyes watching/coaching you, it can make you a worse bowler, and be no fun to boot.

I couldn't have worded it any better.
Storm - Natural

#80424 - 02/17/09 11:19 PM Re: Sport/PBA Conditions [Re: cgeorg]
trekguy Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 56/M/Mn
Originally Posted By: cgeorg

You could also say that an easy house shot covers up your problems, and even though scores may be good, that does not necessarily make you better. You will never work on your game, if the weaknesses are never really exposed. Of course, that point is moot if you are always on THS. smile Also, on a tougher condition, Execution wise, you could be a much better bowler, even though you don't score as high as you would on an easy shot.

Maybe I'm coming from a different perspective, as I grew up bowling on lanes that were "dressed" with a bug sprayer and a linoduster... and they could be anywhere from greasy slick to dry as dust. Your choice of equipment consisted of rubber or plastic. The target area to the pocket was maybe 2 boards. Accuracy was key. The best guy in the house averaged 190, and you needed a 170 avg to be invited into the "Classic" league. Now, it seems, all you need is $200 for a ball, and chuck it in the neighborhood of 2nd arrow, and you can avg deuce.

Yeah, yeah, I know... those were the old days. wink
Motiv Venom Shock
Motiv Arctic Sniper
Motiv Tank

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Ultimate Adjustable Thumb
by EdW - Today at 05:53 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 10:05 PM
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 04:35 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 06/27/20 09:00 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 06/24/20 02:10 PM
Quitting my League
by mmalsed - 06/22/20 12:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 06/20/20 05:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.