BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#80225 - 02/16/09 04:44 PM Switching from bowling right handed to left handed
Chris O Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 25/M/CT
Has anyone ever converted from righty to left. I'm really dissapointed. I finally am getting my game going great. I started bowling around December with an average around 100. My average is now about 165-170 and I'm improving every week.

A couple years ago I broke my right hand really bad. I have plates and screws holding my 4th and 5th metacarpals together. (The bones on the top of your hand that go from your wrist to your ring finger and your pinky)

Well last week when I was bowling I re-injured the hand. I threw the ball normally but after my release I had a sharp pain right where my hand was broken and a week later I still can't support much weight with my ring finger. I'm going to go to a doctor but I have a feeling my hand won't be able to support the load of the ball over and over a couple times a week without me hurting it again after it heals this time.

I have league night tonight, I'm going to just use a house ball and bowl lefty tonight. I'm just curious if anyone has ever been able to successfully switch bowling hands.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#80229 - 02/16/09 04:59 PM Re: Switching from bowling right handed to left handed [Re: Chris O]
johnw1 Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 66/m/Wynantskill/ny/usa
If you switch hands due to an injury you need permission from the league's board of directors to do so. At no time can you be switching back and forth between right and left hands. Once your injury is healed you have to notify the bd of directors again to let them know that you will be using your right hand again. This rule applies to each league you are a member of. It is legal to bowl rignt handed in one league and left handed in another league. Don't forget that when you are given permission to bowl left handed that you will need shoes for a left hander unless you decide to rent a pair of house shoes which can be used by lefties and righties.

#80230 - 02/16/09 04:59 PM Re: Switching from bowling right handed to left handed [Re: Chris O]
JSmith2009 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 16, Male, WI
I've switched from left to right to left to right. Of course, the first switch (left to right) was when I was 5 or 6 and broke my left arm and I only bowled once every month or two. I bowled seriously after I turned 7 or so, and stayed right until I was 13 or 14, of which I was around a 180 average. I switched to left for a season and managed to average 165 or so, but have since switched back to right handed.

Being a natural lefty, I've always figured I would (eventually) be a better bowler left-handed than right, but decided against doing so now as I didn't want to miss out on youth tournaments/high school bowling and such when I figured it would take me at least a year or two to get to the level I was/am right handed. I still occasionally bowl left handed when I'm practicing for hours though and find no problem in getting/averaging 170 or so.

With all that, just because you can't support the ball with your opposite hand/arm doesn't mean you're out of the game. I know a few local bowlers that don't even use their arm to help them. One gets the ball set normally (chest/waist level) and pushes out normally and has a free swing. The other starts with the ball straight down/arm straight down, pushs up and out, and has one of the free(est) swings I've ever known. Both average over 200.

It's not impossible to do that, but it does require quite a bit of muscle and concentration/focus on every shot not to have your muscles take over, but it is possible.
Hammer No Mercy Beat'n
Ebonite Total NV

HG - 289 (dang 9 pin)
HS - 746
'09 Summer Avg - 219/178 (adult-jr. house shot / sport shot)

#80232 - 02/16/09 05:02 PM Re: Switching from bowling right handed to left handed [Re: Chris O]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
You can switch. But you need to get permission from the league first. In your case that is probably going to be easy. You tell your team captian who then talked to the President (not the secretary) and they will call a meeting of the league officers (including each team captain). The situation will be presented that you have a prior injury, have reinjured and wish to switch hands. The league will either allow to to do so or not. If so then you reestablish with your opposite hand.

Now lets say in a month you feel pretty good. You will again need permission to switch back. You cannot just go back and forth depending on how you feel that week or month.

You cannot switch without league permission. Doing so will cause your team to take a zero (not absentee or your average} for your score.

Erin

#80233 - 02/16/09 05:03 PM Re: Switching from bowling right handed to left handed [Re: JSmith2009]
Chris O Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 25/M/CT
I'll see how it goes tonight. It's going to suck using a house ball now that I'm very comfortable using my own. I'm going to go an hour early and bowl a couple practice games and see how it goes.

As far as notifying the league's board of directors and all that stuff, it's not that big of a deal. It's a beginners league. It's nothing that serious. I don't even think there is a board of directors.

#80237 - 02/16/09 05:27 PM Re: Switching from bowling right handed to left handed [Re: Chris O]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
My friend did it when he broke his right hand. He switch right to left. Though he only bowled the summer that way until it healed enough for him to bowl with his right hand again. you do need to ask permission, i would show up a little early and talk to your officers to get permission to do so.

There a few user who change one comes to mind is Brian Logo. Hopefully he chime in and talk about his expeirence.
BowlSk: Stats

#80243 - 02/16/09 06:43 PM Re: Switching from bowling right handed to left handed [Re: Brandon510]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Chris, is your league USBC sanctioned? If so, you have to notify the league officers, and they will need to keep the scores separate so that you have 2 averages, one for each hand. If it's unsanctioned, it's whatever the league says.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#80257 - 02/16/09 08:01 PM Re: Switching from bowling right handed to left handed [Re: cgeorg]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
As far as notifying the league's board of directors and all that stuff, it's not that big of a deal. It's a beginners league. It's nothing that serious. I don't even think there is a board of directors.

Beginners league or not, if its sanctioned then there are rules to follow. That's why you sanction to begin with so there are rules to follow.

Erin

#80286 - 02/16/09 09:50 PM Re: Switching from bowling right handed to left handed [Re: Chris O]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: Chris O

If it's a sanctioned league, it is a big deal. You have to establish a completely different average as a left hander, and that's only if you get permission.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by 82Boat69 - 0 seconds ago
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - Today at 08:42 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by 6_ball_man - Today at 08:29 AM
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - 05/20/18 07:28 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.