BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#79565 - 02/11/09 10:01 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
Don't forget about kenny simard
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#79579 - 02/11/09 11:06 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: Sam Elias]
pavlam05 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: Green Bay, WI
Originally Posted By: Sam Elias
I bet Norm Duke will dominate this tourney. He already plays little enough hook already, I don't see him having much complication with this.

I certainly agree with this. And you have to put Walter Ray right there as well. Not only does he throw with very little hook, but he is very, very accurate, and has pretty good speed on the ball as well.

I think the two biggest factors with be accuracy/consistency which the above two have, and speed. When it comes to speed, I think you will be looking at guys like Robert Smith, Sean Rash, Tommy Jones, and Kenny Simard to name a few. I know all of the above have a lot of revs too, but I don't think that will play as big of a factor, as the polyester balls obviously don't react as much off the dry, regardless of how much dry area there is. So, I think speed will make more of a difference than revs in terms of pin carry.

One other thing to note is that they will be using a modified Cheetah pattern, with a lower than normal volume of oil.

Lifetime High:
Game: 300
Series: 762

In the Bag: 15#
Storm Frantic
Brunswick Smokin' Inferno

#79582 - 02/11/09 11:40 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: pavlam05]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
The polyester balls will deflect a lot. The more revs you can accurately put on the ball the better. I Think PDW will make the show. along with Barnes and Brad Angelo. I think those with soft hands and ball speed control will go farthest. Remember, Walter Ray uses the dullest balls he can find, ditto for Duke. I think Duke has a better shot at making the show over Walter Ray. I think Tommy Jones might do well and my wild card would be Michael Fagan. He seems to be bowling very well right now and he has a ton of revs. He can play straight or hook it. So can Tommy. I almost forgot about Malott. I see him as doing well. I think ball speed will be big. Robert Smith might kill this shot. He can let loose with no penalty.

I mean think about it. They have to worry about carrying the 5 pin and the 10 pin. I think Walter Ray will have a pin carry issue. I see many flat 10's. Obviously he won't have a problem getting to the pocket, as he never does. Walter Ray is high speed and little revs. He lets the ball do the work. Well, the ball won't do squat. Advantage PDW with his high axis rotation and no tilt.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

#79586 - 02/12/09 12:31 AM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: Smooth Stroker]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
Walter Ray actually used his polyester ball on the short pattern (very similar to the cheetah) at the world championships, so don't count him out.

Bowling klub

#79607 - 02/12/09 08:40 AM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: Luksa]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Luksa, I know he did that, but didn't he also struggle mightily?

WRW and Duke are great talents, but I don't see them making the show this week. Forgot about Simard when I made my list - he might fit in that 5 spot. I don't think Malott will get this one, nor will PDW. I just don't think their rolls will match up to the polyester.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#79611 - 02/12/09 09:03 AM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: cgeorg]
Handful Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 32/male/St Pete, FL/ usa
I think this tournament will depend on how modified the cheetach pattern is. if they reduce to amount of oil alot and players can get some movement, I see high rev guys doing well like Malott and Tommy doing well, but if the oil is just to much for a good area to play accuracy will rule and WRW and Duke will be taking this tournament
Slingshot

#79618 - 02/12/09 09:53 AM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: Handful]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
No matter what the volume, there is still 25 feet of dry lane at the end. I have used a white dot on a house shot and gotten plenty of movement - the high rev guys will not struggle to get their balls to turn. Heck, Belmonte uses plastic on the PBA patterns quite often - he was going straight up 5 with one in the [censored] Weber Open during match play last week. The issue will be one of carry, and it will be the high rev players that overcome it.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#79627 - 02/12/09 10:41 AM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: cgeorg]
cowboybrad27 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 26/M/Carrollton, TX
If I am not mistaken I believe Norm is not bowling in it. I only say this because I went to sign up for fantasy bowling and this was the first event I could get into. When I went to make my selections it said that he was not playing in it.
Balls: Brunswick Copperhead 15lb
Columbia White Dot 15lb (spare ball)

#79719 - 02/12/09 06:36 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: cowboybrad27]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
They were talking on the show this past weekend that Duke was talking about taking some time off during the season like he did last season when he was going through some injuries and sickness. That would be a good week for him to take off.
HS:763

#79728 - 02/12/09 09:24 PM Re: Geico Plastic Ball Championship [Re: cgeorg]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
Luksa, I know he did that, but didn't he also struggle mightily?

Yes, he did use plastic on the short pattern. And yes, he struggled mightily. So badly that he got benched for the team event!

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 10:12 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:39 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 09/26/20 09:32 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.