BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7919 - 09/10/01 03:27 PM Re: The $350,000 question
George Freeman Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: Florida
The $25,000 you are referring to is the profit margin the PBA has to have to consider running a senior event "worthwhile".

The figures are correct, but you are right, the only way for a host to get that kind of money is to have a Burger King type sponsor put it up.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#7920 - 09/10/01 10:22 PM Re: The $350,000 question
Anonymous
Unregistered

George & Steve - Really respect what you're doing for bowling however I believe Chimp may be right in this case. I asked Ian Hamilton the same question on my show Saturday and he said the centers are paying no more than they did last year. That leads me to believe that the "BIG" figure is for naming rights - Keep up the good work guys. E-mail me if you want to chat about it. :rolleyes:

#7921 - 09/11/01 01:08 AM Re: The $350,000 question
George Freeman Offline
League Bowler

Maybe this will help you guys. At the meeting in Newark with Steve Miller and the senior players, the following criteria was given for hosting a senior PBA event:

Any promoter/host/proprietor/outsource who wishes to host a senior event must pay the PBA $164,000. To offset the $164,000 said promoter/host/proprietor keeps all entry fees, pro am revenue, sponsorship revenues, gate reciepts. They must be able to show a $25,000 profit to the PBA.

The same formula is being used for the regular tour, only instead of $164,000, the figure is $350,000.

The problem alot of people are going to have is I'm not sure how many people are going to be willing to put up that kind of money for a professional bowling tournament. The only way to go about doing it would be to secure a major corporate sponsor like Chimp said. The money has to come from somewhere, and if a host can't find an outside entity to put up that kind of money, guess who has to pay it if they want to host a PBA tournament? That's right kids, the host.

The point was made that this might acutally be a blessing for the seniors. Some of the sites that have hosted regualar tournaments in the past may bristle at the $350,000, and see $164,000 as a more economic alternative. As it is now the senior tour is on the brink of being closed out completely, which would not be a good thing for bowling period. Now as to whether this will get more buisness for the senior tour, I don't know. I guess we'll have to wait for 2002 to know for sure. I know it would be a shame if the senior tour went defunct. As players, we're all (God willing laugh ) going to be 50 someday, and the senior tour is still a great commodity for bowling, I don't care what they say. You got some of the all time greats that have ever played the game either over 50 or coming up on it. They are still a great draw for fans, and have much more to give the bowling community.

But getting back to the original point, these aren't figures we just pulled out of thin air, this is how it is going to be in 2002...unless of course the PBA changes its mind, which may very well happen too. Who knows what goes on up there. wink

I hope this clears up any confusion. If any of you are going to be at the World Team Challenge in Melbourne,FL this weekend, feel free to hunt me down, I'll be bowling A squad. Just have them page me to the front desk and I'll gladly answer your questions.

#7922 - 09/12/01 04:53 PM Re: The $350,000 question
chimp Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Oklahoma City
To repeat, zero proprietors paid $350,000 this year for any of the PBA events, they paid $35,000. Call any of them and ask.

George, your facts are just something copied from a post off the PBA Forum, hardly "official" information.

#7923 - 09/12/01 05:50 PM Re: The $350,000 question
George Freeman Offline
League Bowler

As far as 2001 goes, I really don't know what hosts paid. If you say it was $35,000, then I'll take your word for it.

However, if you'd be so kind to actually read what I said, we are talking about 2002, not 2001. I have no idea what they did this year, so I won't comment on it.

And as far as getting my information from the PBA forum......ummmm...no. I was made aware that there was information on the PBA forum, and I used the numbers they list because I didn't know the exact breakdown. But I didnt get my information from the PBA forum. laugh

So, as far as 2001 goes, you could very well be right, I have no reason to believe you aren't.

#7924 - 09/12/01 06:30 PM Re: The $350,000 question
chimp Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: Oklahoma City
Okay, the PBA has 10 tournaments on their website in 2002. Call any of those proprietors and ask what they paid...

Same answer, $35,000.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.