BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78806 - 02/06/09 09:16 AM Working on release, comments?
kwik8 Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/m/Md
Hey everyone first I know the quality of this video is pretty bad,(camera phone video) but I hope you can still see enough to comment. I will take a better quality video with more angles and shots thrown this weekend. Anyhow, I have just started bowling again after several years not bowling. Have been working on my release and have toned it down a bit to get a more free swing, I also have heard a lot about "staying on the inside of the ball". I get the general idea but any advice on how to do that correctly? I think I stay behind the ball decently but know with my hand position the top of the ball stays pointing about 11'oclock. I find if I come completely straight through the ball (12'oclock)reaction is just too lazy and I get a lot of ringing tens with more deflection then I would want and I would also lose ability to play deep inside. Just let me know what you guys think about any part of what you can see. Thanks and sorry again for the quality of the video........

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#78807 - 02/06/09 09:30 AM Re: Working on release, comments? [Re: kwik8]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
edit your post and put a space between all the periods and the URL. That way the message board software will turn it into a hyper link

#78809 - 02/06/09 09:46 AM Re: Working on release, comments? [Re: Lefty]
kwik8 Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks Lefty.

#78810 - 02/06/09 10:07 AM Re: Working on release, comments? [Re: kwik8]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Nothing looked majorly bad... Impossible to really see any finer details with that video though.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#78819 - 02/06/09 10:51 AM Re: Working on release, comments? [Re: cgeorg]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
The only thing that I saw that was obvious to me was that your power step is all on your toe. You should be walking heel-toe all the way to the foul line, your power step loses a lot of energy when you are not allowing yourself to coil and burst out of the power step and into the slide. By being up on your toe through the entire step it is actually making your body rise up in that step, then back down into the slide. It should be a progressive lowering of the body throughout the entire approach, I think going heel-toe would increase your accuracy and power as well (not that you are lacking power).

That is the only thing I could see that I would work on, other than that things looked pretty stable, video quality being a factor of course.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#78822 - 02/06/09 11:16 AM Re: Working on release, comments? [Re: sk8shorty01]
kwik8 Offline
Virtual League Champion

sk8 hey thanks, I knew something had to be going on in my footwork as I used to stand with my heel hanging half off the appoach at start of approach and ended up right up to the foul line at delivery. Now I found that I was a good foot or more back from the line so I moved up halfway between the first and second row of dots to get me closer to the line at release. Thought this was odd, another thing though is I had two nice pair of linds (1 wood, 1 synth.)that I was comfortable with and as I couldn't go replace everything I threw out I bought a pair of etonic strike 2's until I can get a nice pair of dexters. I found that with the house shoes and etonics I don't seem to slide as smooth at all, obviously. Either way I am going to work on my power step this weekend in practice. Thanks again.

#78826 - 02/06/09 11:40 AM Re: Working on release, comments? [Re: kwik8]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Your welcome, also make sure that in your power step you are pushing off of the big toe side, or straight over the top. Its hard to tell due to the quality issues but it almost looks like you are pushing from the outside of the foot to get into your slide, which also kills some momentum transfer to the ball. Just another thought to look at, as with the video I cannot actually say with certainty that you are doing this.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - Today at 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.