BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78570 - 02/04/09 02:34 PM 100+ games, a new ball, & a lesson from Erin
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
Well first off the ball doesn't make the bowler. I love my new LM Terminator but I still have to throw it correctly. My first Video is a game with my old BW Bite with the bridge fixed and now the pin is under the ring finger instead of above it; I like the early roll.

This second Video is my next game with my new LM Terminator with the pin next to the ring finger:

I started with the Terminator inside my BW Bite line, but changed after three frames to my exact Bite line; 18 at the dots to 8 at the arrows.

I think I am getting lower at release and that helps my balance arm do its job.
Also, the ball is still working its way closer to my slide ankle.
My trailing leg is still slow to get out of the way.
I still accelerate the ball at release but maybe not as much.

It’s still me bowling and I'm not about to give up my night job yet.

What’s the good, bad, & ugly?

~ John

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#78574 - 02/04/09 02:42 PM Re: 100+ games, a new ball, & a lesson from Erin [Re: ijohn83]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
You are definitely getting around the ball early, and accelerating the downswing like you mentioned, but its not bad or ugly by any means.

Just a friendly help with lining up, to shoot the 5-7 split try moving your feet 5 boards left of where you throw your strike shot and target the same mark. It will look like the balls going to go in the gutter but it will recover and you will make it 90% of the time like that. I would say I make 11 out of 12 5-7 splits and I never change how I shoot them.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#78576 - 02/04/09 02:45 PM Re: 100+ games, a new ball, & a lesson from Erin [Re: ijohn83]
A K
Unregistered

while watching this it looks like you're tugging the ball a lot which is either you gripping probably or a fit problem. will edit also

can you answer.. i know you were practicing so was the video about the actual bowling or were you just showing your approach etc and not caring about score?

if the first you are not a bad bowler at all and you have two nice moving balls. i say if you haven't already trying standing farther outside and a straighter line and letting the balls work. i noticed you were just throwing them straight at the head pin a lot.

also i shouldn't be so ignorant, as some of those were you just tugging the ball. im not very good with words im very sorry. wait for someone more experienced to help.

Edited by A K (02/04/09 02:53 PM)

#78585 - 02/04/09 03:33 PM Re: 100+ games, a new ball, & a lesson from Erin [Re: ]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Turning the ball early will almost 100% of the time result in a tugged or pulled shot.

But to me the pulling seems caused by the elbow not staying tucked in. And that's where you need to lead with the ring finger, the forearm lined up with your ball path, the ball weight on the pad just beneath your index finger and that elbow snugged into your side.

Oh and John, We forgot to charge you extra for all the strikes we put in that Terminator.

Erin

#78590 - 02/04/09 03:52 PM Re: 100+ games, a new ball, & a lesson from Erin [Re: Atochabsh]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Man I am obviously not paying my Pro Shop enough because if thats what it takes to throw a lot of strikes I have some extra money haha...

I agree after watching again, I didn't notice the elbow being out away from the body a little bit. I am still working on reading people and breaking down their mechanics. I learn something new every time!
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#78596 - 02/04/09 04:38 PM Re: 100+ games, a new ball, & a lesson from Erin [Re: sk8shorty01]
MJA Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/Ft. Wayne IN
I'm impressed with spare game. I'm by no means in a position to cretique someones game but I would maybe try to keep the elbow in toward your side in the stance. From the angle I saw it looks as if your pushaway may be leading off left. Something to try maybe. Also try to keep your sweeping leg on the aprouch, it will help with good knee bend and balance.
15# Crossroad
"all with switch grips"

#78645 - 02/05/09 02:11 AM Re: 100+ games, a new ball, & a lesson from Erin [Re: MJA]
ijohn83 Offline
4x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 54/male/Palmdale, California U...
sk8shorty01 - I'll try the 5 board move left for the 5 - 7 pick-ups my next opportunity. Yea - my early turning just kills me.

A K - my tugging the ball is a mental problem not a fit problem I believe. Erin says it is my early turn. The funny thing is that when I bowl I am telling myself do not turn at all; lead with ring finger. As far as my practicing goes, I am a little gun shy on what to post. When I practice I bowl the first half of the first game with my spare ball only - I shoot head pin, ten pin, seven pin and pick up the corresponding spares. The last half of the first game I'm reading the lane looking for the best line. The second game I am going for score but no Video. The third & forth games I am also going for score. I Video those two games and I post them wither they are good games or bad. My last three games I do different things depending on my goals for the session. I may shoot an entire game with my spare ball. I may keep on the best strike line and work on keeping the ball in the pocket. I may work my extreme left comfort zone then go to the right to roll down the one board. I have fun practicing by myself, but on Thursday mornings I bowl strictly for score against my bowling team mate. If I lose series and majority of games - I'm paying for both of us.
As far as the outside line, that is my favorite place to play; pointed at the pocket. But I am working hard at trying to be a good bowler and just not depend on total accuracy. If I ever get my release right and pick up some side roll I will be able to hit the break points without standing right of ten. Some day...

MJA - Would you elaborate on my "sweeping leg". I've been trying to get it at 7:00 forever but it just likes to be behind and under me. I think it is related to my hip not getting out of the way.

~ John

#78647 - 02/05/09 02:35 AM Re: 100+ games, a new ball, & a lesson from Erin [Re: ijohn83]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

Quote:
sk8shorty01 - I'll try the 5 board move left for the 5 - 7 pick-ups my next opportunity. Yea - my early turning just kills me.

For me is 5 1/2 boards. The sad part of that is that I've left that leave enough times to know its 5 1/2 boards.

Erin

#78648 - 02/05/09 02:42 AM Re: 100+ games, a new ball, & a lesson from Erin [Re: Atochabsh]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

You have it backwards John. You need to depend on total accuracy. Because when the chips are down and conditions are really tough, only accuracy will help you. You have good accuracy. Accuracy is not easy to come by. Its learned from years of patient hand/eye coordination. That's why most youth do not have it and are "area" bowlers. So fall back on your accuracy because you have it, and it will hold you in good company when going gets tough. Do not sabotage it, by second guessing it.

You just need to keep that elbow in, get a bit lower at the line and it'll come to you.

As far as where you play the lanes. It doesn't matter as long as it works. Do you know how frustrating it is for the crankers to be fighting the shot by covering too many boards on a spotty shot, when you are stable in the pocket with a simple point to the pocket? It drives them crazy. So learn to live with your strengths.

Erin

#78657 - 02/05/09 06:43 AM Re: 100+ games, a new ball, & a lesson from Erin [Re: ijohn83]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
John, you are still not dropping the ball into the swing. You keep stopping your swing and pulling the ball back then pulling it forward.

Let the ball swing stop trying to control it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 10/17/20 08:32 PM
Undercover Boss Bowlero
by BOSStull - 10/12/20 07:16 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.