BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#78139 - 02/02/09 02:24 AM The two handed delivery, pros and cons!
looseleftie Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 50m
Anyone help me out on this, as I would love some info about this style, tried it last week for a joke, however was pleasantly surprised by the action and feel of the shot (my score was also pretty good considering)...

Any help appreciated.
LL

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#78140 - 02/02/09 02:35 AM Re: The two handed delivery, pros and cons! [Re: looseleftie]
wuphat Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 34/M/NJ
I could be way off base here, but I think the USBC frowns on the two-handed delivery for any non-junior bowlers.

My 12 year old daughter uses a two-handed approach because she's so small, she can't even swing a 7 lb ball.

#78143 - 02/02/09 03:35 AM Re: The two handed delivery, pros and cons! [Re: wuphat]
Adam Keene
Unregistered

im almost tired of seeing two handed bowlers. people need to stop bieng 'trendy' and just stick with being unoriginal. unless you're 10-60 pounds and you can't throw a ball.. and i was 50lbs when i started bowling and never even thought of two hands.. if i would have done that im sure my grandpa would have slapped me.

#78145 - 02/02/09 05:42 AM Re: The two handed delivery, pros and cons! [Re: ]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
The pros: 500-600+ revs from the top players. That kind of revs sends pins flying tripping out all kinds of stuff. It can create a larger area for you.

Cons: it puts a lot of torque on the ball and your body, not sure what kind of longevity there is with the new style. Sometimes having too much power can work against you.

It doesn't bother me what style they use. I guess it would bother me if there were a few on the pair eating up the oil making the lanes tough to play without that kind of power game. I have yet to come across one in leagues and I bowl a decent amount so it hasn't caught on that much. To me it seems like a modified version of 2 fingered bowling except there is another hand to stabilize the ball and add more revs to what is already a power shot that generates more revs than the above average thumb user. I can see why younger players would be drawn to it.
Storm - Natural

#78147 - 02/02/09 06:13 AM Re: The two handed delivery, pros and cons! [Re: Silent Mike]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
The USBC is actually doing an extensive study on the two-handed delivery right now.

To add to the cons that Mike mentioned: the two handed delivery requires you to be much more athletic, there is no free swing, although you can still swing the right or the wrong way (most of the folks that try the two-handed release, swing the ball totally wrong - nothing like Osku or Belmonte). Because of the lack of the free swing, accuracy is compromised, but this is counterbalanced with the increase in revs.

Bowling klub

#78150 - 02/02/09 07:44 AM Re: The two handed delivery, pros and cons! [Re: Luksa]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Question on this:

I know there are USBC rules that apply to a right handed bowler switching to left handed in a game, a match and through the year. But, as of now, there is nothing about switching to a 2-handed delivery at any time.

How do you think it should be handled?

You could still maintain your preferred side dominance rolling 2-handed. It's just a matter of time that someone switches in the middle of a game. If it hasn't happened already.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#78156 - 02/02/09 09:22 AM Re: The two handed delivery, pros and cons! [Re: Dennis Michael]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Dennis, I think you should be able to change between 2 handed and right or left handed (which ever was the dominant in the 2 handed release) because its no different than changing your release or hand position in all reality. I think that is what the USBC will eventually come up with as there is no change on what side of the lanes you are playing.
VISE Staff Member
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 7
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#78185 - 02/02/09 01:49 PM Re: The two handed delivery, pros and cons! [Re: ]
Domokun Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: male/DC Metro
With you on the being slapped down. Started bowling in the mid 70s, and I recall (fondly) my junior league's coaches forcing those bad (but now fabulous) filmstrips on us. Standard 5 step approach/correct hand position/blah blah blah, all of which will be obeyed at all times.

Them whippersnappers today with the double handed hoo hoo and the hey hey...sigh. What's the world comin' to?

Feh, they'll come crying to us when someone puts their eye out. Just keep off my gol-durned lawn!

Ebonite: Challenge, Exceed, Innovate
Storm/RG: Cell Pearl, Tropical Breeze

"Only NBC or CBS for me. New Ball Carry or Clean Ball Strikes. Channel 4 and 14 or nothing." -- D. Ryan

#78186 - 02/02/09 01:50 PM Re: The two handed delivery, pros and cons! [Re: sk8shorty01]
howiegroove Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/M/Orlando, FL
Here is a video that I put together on the 2 handed release. Hope this helps..

http://www.bowlingcommunity.com/b/ubbthr....html#Post68989

15# Ebonite NVD
15# Hammer Hot Sauce
15# Track Uprising
15# Track Kinetic Pearl
15# Hammer Emerald Vibe
15# Roto-Grip Clear (spares)

VISE IT System

#78215 - 02/02/09 03:38 PM Re: The two handed delivery, pros and cons! [Re: howiegroove]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
The pros on the style is that you can get a lot different lines that you normally couldn't if your release isn't as strong in your normative style. Also your rev rate with skyrocket. Hence one of the big reasons why a lot of people have been adopting it or at least fiddling with it, and why people have been getting sick of seeing it (also because you can do it with house balls easily). Also it is way better than palm bowling. You have a bit more control over the ball's path in my opinion. On the up side you can actually get a free swing or at the very least a lightly semi-controlled swing. But that is, again, if you work at it and tinker with the style.

The cons of the style are for one, spare shooting. It takes a little bit of time to get that down and even then it can be tough because of the increase in revs on the ball. You have to come up the back of the completely to get the ball to go straight. And that is tough trust me I've tried it and succeeded but not without some major adjusting. Additionally, if you can't throw two-handed at spares then you have to put your thumb in the ball and throw straight, causing you to change your whole approach and swing. On tough nights when you aren't carrying, this will just create even more problems both that night and in the long run.

The other thing that bothers me about the style is a physical aspect of it and that is the little hop to get into the slide. WATCH YOUR SHOES. If you step in something and try slide with style your knee is gone. I haven't seen one two-handed bowler who hasn't hopped to get into their slide. Even Osku and Belmonte do it. You simply have to do it because your body is so compact that you have to hop a little to unwind it and transfer all of that energy into the ball, as well as get the ball out and into the lane. That's the biggest reason why I don't use it as my way to bowl, among other things. Additionally, that little hop is effectively changing your whole body position and where you are ending up. You could do your approach and that little hop and end up drifting three to four boards of where you wanted to finish. Again consistency is an issue.

Lastly, all those revs that you create with this style can sometimes make it difficult on you and make it hard to play the lanes.

Also you could check out bowlingknowledge.info. There is an article on ther about two-handed bowling and one on there about how to coach two-handed and palm bowlers. They might be helpful.

Just remember, like any other sport it takes practice, practice, practice. I hope this helps out, and I didn't completely persuade you to not adopt these style or at least try it out. There are some things that you can pull away from this style and apply into other styles.

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (02/02/09 03:47 PM)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowling for Peanuts
by BOSStull - 03/13/21 03:47 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2021 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.