BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77536 - 01/28/09 01:33 PM New to Bowling Community need advice
Nuten Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 38/Oshawa/Ontario/Canada

Please be kind I just started Bowling 5 months ago
I went from 3 step 5 pin to 4 step 10 pin so I am still fighting
not to three step. Any advice would be muchly appreciated. laugh

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#77539 - 01/28/09 01:57 PM Re: New to Bowling Community need advice [Re: Nuten]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Well the good news is that you don't look like you are trying to throw the ball, and your swing looks somewhat free. Now as far as fixing a few things lets start.

1- A bigger push away with the ball at the start of your approach would be good. Rather than just letting the ball drop straight down, try to push the ball out as if you are trying to set it onto a glass table. I think this will help with your feet being a little fast.

2- Your third step is really fast, it would be better to try and slow that step down, as this is where all the power of a bowling release comes from. This is the power step, where you "coil" up and then unload into the foul line. The longer you can make this step, the more stable and powerful you will be at the line.

3- Follow through is really short. It would be better if you tried to extend it up to shoulder height and let the elbow break slightly, then recoil back and forth keeping that free swing mentality.

4- Keep your body down at the foul line. If you watch you are "popping" up at the line which is usually a symptom of yanking on the ball a little bit. This might not be what is causing you to end taller than your slide, but you should be down at the line, well balanced and posted. Remember you are throwing a perfect bowling shot so you have to give those camera men plenty of time to get a good photo haha!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#77554 - 01/28/09 03:32 PM Re: New to Bowling Community need advice [Re: sk8shorty01]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
Originally Posted By: sk8shorty01

4- Keep your body down at the foul line. If you watch you are "popping" up at the line which is usually a symptom of yanking on the ball a little bit. This might not be what is causing you to end taller than your slide, but you should be down at the line, well balanced and posted. Remember you are throwing a perfect bowling shot so you have to give those camera men plenty of time to get a good photo haha!

I saw this right away too, and it looks like you are falling back onto your back foot after the ball is gone. To me, that would indicate that you have too much weight on your heels in your stance and through your approach. You want to start your CoG over your toes/balls of your feet and keep it there all the way through that longer, more fluid follow-through that sk8 is talking about. Keep it up, you're doing well!

Edited by Chubbs (01/28/09 03:34 PM)

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#77557 - 01/28/09 04:07 PM Re: New to Bowling Community need advice [Re: Chubbs]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Just to elaborate on what Chubbs said, this is true but you want to walk with a heel-toe cadance. Do not walk on your toes or you will end up losing a lot of leverage and end up sticking in the slide. The walk is similar to walking down a ramp or slope. You want your heel to come in contact with the approach first, then the weight transfers to the ball and toes as you take the next step.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

#77574 - 01/28/09 07:19 PM Re: New to Bowling Community need advice [Re: sk8shorty01]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia

This is the power step, where you "coil" up and then unload into the foul line. The longer you can make this step, the more stable and powerful you will be at the line.

Hmm.. Are you sure? Isn't the power step supposed to be short to allow you to get lower and set you up in a good position to push yourself into the slide?

Bowling klub

#77617 - 01/29/09 07:57 AM Re: New to Bowling Community need advice [Re: Nuten]
Nuten Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 38/Oshawa/Ontario/Canada
I just want to thank all who has given me advice. I think this is great to be able to get advice on my bowling form from such great bowlers. I will post more videos after next lesson. thumbsup

#77623 - 01/29/09 08:41 AM Re: New to Bowling Community need advice [Re: Luksa]
sk8shorty01 Offline

Originally Posted By: Luksa

This is the power step, where you "coil" up and then unload into the foul line. The longer you can make this step, the more stable and powerful you will be at the line.

Hmm.. Are you sure? Isn't the power step supposed to be short to allow you to get lower and set you up in a good position to push yourself into the slide?

Remember that slow does not mean long. The step should be roughly a normal walking step, but it should take more time. I didn't say to elongate the step, I said to slow the step. You can't build up power if you don't give your body time to "load up". Sorry for any confusion.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by djp1080 - 5 minutes 12 seconds ago
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:28 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/16/18 12:26 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - 05/03/18 03:10 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.