BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#77372 - 01/27/09 06:41 PM Re: Getting a bit frustrated with the 10 pin. [Re: Scott Gannon]
Cobb Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 22/M/Butte; MT, USA
I personally miss the 6-10 the most i believe. I either shoot too deep and only pick up the 10, or i pull it too far inside and chop the 6 leaving the 10. Lol it's like my pet peeve of bowling.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#77375 - 01/27/09 06:49 PM Re: Getting a bit frustrated with the 10 pin. [Re: Cobb]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Originally Posted By: Cobb
I personally miss the 6-10 the most i believe. I either shoot too deep and only pick up the 10, or i pull it too far inside and chop the 6 leaving the 10. Lol it's like my pet peeve of bowling.

I was having a little bit of trouble with that spare as well a little while back as well. And still do every now and again. I usually, blow right by the 6 pin and hit the 10. I had to re-work my spare targeting and line for that spare so that I could get it.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#77376 - 01/27/09 06:50 PM Re: Getting a bit frustrated with the 10 pin. [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
Originally Posted By: TheDemolitionMan
[quote=Dan300]

That's what I did and still do. I'll "waste" practice game simply shooting at corner pins. It's helped me tremendously. And if you need spare shooting practice in general, take your spare ball or your least reactive ball and throw it straight down 20 and shot the leftovers to practice your spares.

I would not call it a "waste" to shoot for spares in practice. I guess it all depends. We get enough practice time that I often will shoot at the 10 pin and seven pin and then shoot for the pocket on the following shot. Nothing is worse then coming out of the gate opening 3 of 4 because you did not practice spares.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#77392 - 01/27/09 07:41 PM Re: Getting a bit frustrated with the 10 pin. [Re: Scott Gannon]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

It isn't a waste. That is why the word, "waste" is in quotations. I only did that because in the eyes of some, it would seem like a waste of time, game and practice. Trust me, they're out there and they have berated me a few times.

I actually prefer bowling with another person and you bowl round robin format or at least I think that is what it is called. But you have one person bowl and if they leave a spare the other person picks it up and you keep going back and forth that way the two of you get both spare and strike shot practice.

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (01/27/09 07:50 PM)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#77410 - 01/27/09 09:46 PM Re: Getting a bit frustrated with the 10 pin. [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
It isn't a waste. That is why the word, "waste" is in quotations. I only did that because in the eyes of some, it would seem like a waste of time, game and practice. Trust me, they're out there and they have berated me a few times.

I know a few bowlers that are the same way, they call it practice but bowl for score. I've thrown whole games of nothing but the 10 pin, or corner pins, or picking certain pins I want to hit to practice spares. The same thing for other parts of my game.

I actually prefer bowling with another person and you bowl round robin format or at least I think that is what it is called. But you have one person bowl and if they leave a spare the other person picks it up and you keep going back and forth that way the two of you get both spare and strike shot practice.

That's referred to as Scotch Doubles. The two bowlers alternate every delivery. We used to do this as side pots after my Saturday league last season. It actually helped with spares, other than when the games became carry contests, and with some of the guys that got involved it did often.

Round robin is more of a direct competition where each game is against different people, much like how the PBA runs some of it's later rounds in it's tournaments.
HS:763

#77411 - 01/27/09 09:55 PM Re: Getting a bit frustrated with the 10 pin. [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

Thanks for clearing that up Cal. I've spent many a game throwing at the corner pins as well as many games throwing at certain pins to get the targeting right like the 3 or 4 pins. Additionally, I think that is why I hit a lot of my double wood leaves because I can go straight through a 1,2 or 3 pin and pick it up because I practiced it.

#77518 - 01/28/09 12:00 PM Re: Getting a bit frustrated with the 10 pin. [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
We would play a game to learn corner pin shots. We would play lowest score at the end of the game wins, with a gutter on the first ball counting as a strike (strike rules apply) and second ball gutter is a spare. The object is to pick the 10 or 7 pin, then fit the ball into that same hole again. Its actually pretty fun and makes shooting spares a contest. Its harder than you think and if you can finish with less that 20 pins you did a great job.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#77524 - 01/28/09 12:20 PM Re: Getting a bit frustrated with the 10 pin. [Re: sk8shorty01]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
O.k. I got you Demo. I do not see many people except me practing on spares either and to be honest most of them think I just missed my mark bad because a few times they have said "oops","uh-oh" or something like that. For me we have ample practice (15 minutes but lately seems more like 20) so once I get my strike ball lined up with a few shots I go for spares.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#77534 - 01/28/09 01:14 PM Re: Getting a bit frustrated with the 10 pin. [Re: sk8shorty01]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I really want to play this way once in a while! Sounds fun and can really get my 10 pin spares better!

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#77535 - 01/28/09 01:22 PM Re: Getting a bit frustrated with the 10 pin. [Re: Atochabsh]
cherry scented Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 31/m/vt
I am SO thankful for this thread - it is actually the reason I started looking for a bowling forum in the first place! I just got back into bowling - 3rd season ever. I joined a mixed, non-money league which ends up in me getting a free ball which I figured I could use for my next money league.

Anyway, I left eight 10 pins in 11 shots!!! ARGH!! I tried moving up, moving everything over and aiming further down the lane. I tried moving way left, throwing through the oil and slowing down my shot - everything I could think of. What didn't I try? Moving BACK or moving 1/2 board to the right! This is two weeks in a row where I got robbed of exceptional scores because of the 10 pin - and lots of 'em.

I only have one ball and it likes to turn. I've practiced 10 pins with it, but now with league conditions there is too much variation from frame 1 to frame 30 to be consistent. Lots of people tell me I need to keep practicing, but I decided to prepay the league and get my new ball now so I have something for the 10 pin (Lane 1 XXXL or Ebonite Bash red/black). The 7 has also been a challenge due to varying lane conditions and thus varying ball reactions. Hopefully this will all be a thing of the past with the help of this thread and a spare ball!!! Thanks!
Elite Death

Avg: 210
High Series: 725
High Game: 287

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - Today at 03:49 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by Dennis Michael - 04/14/18 04:37 PM
Better Polish
by W9JAB - 04/14/18 09:03 AM
Recommendations requested
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:34 AM
It can't come fast enough
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 08:21 AM
Original Gamebreaker
by BOSStull - 04/14/18 07:28 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by Jason_C - 04/09/18 07:08 AM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by champ - 04/07/18 08:39 PM
A question of degrees
by Fin09 - 04/06/18 01:28 PM
The final cut (Balls in the bag and their job)
by mmalsed - 04/04/18 12:09 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dylan585 - 03/31/18 11:30 PM
12 pound ball?
by Jason_C - 03/30/18 12:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.