BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 17 of 29 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#92807 - 05/22/09 09:34 AM Re: USBC Open [Re: Richie V.]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I leave in a few hours. I made a last minute arsenal change. I am taking out the Special Agent and adding the X-Factor. I have thrown the Special Agent a few times over the last few weeks and it doesn't feel right. Hasn't since the redrill. Here is a pic of the X-Factor that is going instead.

Attachments
IMAGE_006.jpg

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#92853 - 05/22/09 02:32 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: General Pounder]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Good luck GP, win some money for all of us!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#92854 - 05/22/09 02:35 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: sk8shorty01]
IanTyler Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 27 m illinois
good luck!!

246 High Game in league
600 High series in league
130 league average gained 18 pins in my first season

#92864 - 05/22/09 05:44 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: IanTyler]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15608&f=1

I usually don't post about 299s in and of themselves, but there was a notable one this week, thrown by Kenny Parks, the defending USBC Senior Masters champion. He left the 3 pin in his first game of the team event bowling for D's Pro Shop 5.

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15607&f=1

The Classified Singles lead changed hands once again this week, this time to Vernon Daniels of Bermuda, who posted games of 236, 224, and 232 for a 692 set.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#92889 - 05/23/09 02:14 AM Re: USBC Open [Re: Richie V.]
mikeyyy44805 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: Ohio/m/US
a guy from columbus ohio bowled a 300!!!!

he is about 1 hour from where i live....
the pressure had to be so tremendous!!! laugh

Here is an article about it:
http://bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15610&f=1

#93128 - 05/26/09 04:37 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: mikeyyy44805]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15614&f=1

Michael Burns of El Cajon, CA had a run at perfection in his Open Championships debut in 1998, running eight before a 10 pin bit him. Yesterday, he had another chance in his second game of doubles and completed it for the 23rd 300 game of the tournament.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#93183 - 05/27/09 10:30 AM Re: USBC Open [Re: Richie V.]
General Pounder Offline

Well, I'm finally back and sitting at a computer. First let me say that I had an absolute blast out there. I hadn't been to Vegas in 10 years. So many things have changed. Some for the better, some for the worse. Progress I guess.

Team event: Lanes were playable but you couldn't get it too far outside unless you had a ton of hand. My out of bounds was about 7. 8 I was fine, 7 I was shooting at a wash out. I started out with my Cell at 1000 from 15-10. I had a decent look to the pocket but I was having a heck of a time with my spares. I have no confindence in my spare ball and in hind sight, I should have stopped at the Storm booth and just had a new one drilled up. After about 6 frames I moved to my Hy-Road at 4000 and it gave me a little more at the back end. I was rolling the ball pretty good but not scoring well. Also, missed spares killed me. Team was my low set for the tourney thanks to a fabulous 130 game to finish up (6 opens with 5 of them in a row). No one on my pair did anything for team. Others in my group did okay. One of the guys shot 650 with a 180 the last game. As a team, they shot 2932 and will get money back.

Doubles: Lanes were getting toasted. Actually, the heads were getting toasted. I was playing my Hy-Road from 15-10 but I was basically lofting it over the heads. I was doing okay but not getting the ball to do much so I went to straight up 7 with the Cell. There were others who were having success out there. Did okay but again, missed spares killed me. A team doubles teams from my group shot around 1200 and will cash. Not a lot but enough to go out to dinner on.

Singles: Heads were gone. Completely. I went back to my Hy-Road. I tried my X-factor for a couple of shots but it just didn't feel right. I had my best set of the tourney (which really isn't saying much). I moved left and was throwing about 21 to 8. There were a few of my group who scored okay during Singles but everyone pretty much said the same thing. Fried heads. One of the girls who I bowled team with shot really well. 238, 289, 182 for 709. She had a great look on their pair. Had the front 10, grabbed at #11 and went high and left a 6 pin. She kind of lost it for a little in the last game and recovered for the 709.

My sets were embarrasing. 473, 490, 540. I literally had at least 2 opens in every game. I had a few splits but mostly missed opportunities. I found that when I was throwing my spare ball, my swing plane was WAY off. ball was going way out on the back swing and was way in on the follow through. Hence, I was missing all of my spares right. When I stopped using my spare ball, I started making more of them.

Consensus was that they need to start re-oiling after team. With all of these teams now using a lot of surface to break down the lanes, by the time you get to singles and doubles, the lanes are getting to be toasted. Be that as it may, there was a playable shot out there and you can score on it if you make your spares and stay out of trouble. I could have easily been another 150 pins higher.

For Vegas itself. I did a lot of walking around, a decent amount gambling, and way to much drinking. Video poker at the MGM is great. You can bet the minimum and get drinks. Bartenders are really friendly. Dealers at Hooters (male and female) were great. Played Pai Gow there and had an absolute blast. Waitresses came around a lot as well which is not always the case. Planet Hollywood is a very cool looking place with a lot of yuppies and money floating around. If you want to people watch, go there. If you want to gamble, don't. Dealers don't talk at all. They basically stare at the table and just deal. No interaction. Ballys and Bills Gambling hall were pretty good. Dealers at the Flamingo were fun. I pretty much gave them money at all of the above.

While I was there, I had a Bachelor Party and a wedding. The Bachelor party turned out to be just a bunch of us heading to Toby Keith's bar at Harrahs and gambling. The wedding was awesome. They have a wedding chapel in Mandalay Bay. Very nice. Afterward, we were driven around Vegas in a stretched Hum-V. No sun roof but it was too hot to open any window. We had our picture taken at the Vegas sign. Dinner that night was in Paris at the Eiffel Tower. That was one of the best meals I have ever had. Don't know if it was worth what I paid, but it was phenominal. Plus, we had a great view of the water show at the Bellagio. Perfect night.

For those people who have thought about going to Nationals, go. At least once. Get as many teams as you can and go. The one regret I have about this year is that we stayed pretty far from the rest of the group. Since it was Vegas, everyone pretty much stayed where they had their perks and the best deals. We were south of the strip at a Fairfield, there was a couple guys at the Stratosphere, and the rest some where in between. I think that the most fun we had was during the day on Tuesday just hanging out in one of the guys rooms (they had a HUGE suite for 5 of them), drinking, playing cards, and telling stories. For the people who want to bowl every day while they are out there, you can do that. There are a bunch of side tourneys. Next 2 years are in Reno. One of my teammates who just came back to the game is going with a different team next year. Another who came just because it is Vegas said that he will be back year after year. Great experience. Great fun.

#93185 - 05/27/09 11:11 AM Re: USBC Open [Re: General Pounder]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Thanks GP for that great report. We go at the end of July. Looking forward to it. After having gone to several Nationals, I don't have high expectations. But Vegas should be fun. We're staying at Excalibur. We're driving so we'll have a car to get around.

Erin

#93188 - 05/27/09 12:01 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: General Pounder]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I'm glad you had a good time GP.

I'm still in Vegas, my wife and I are having a great time too. It seems we went to many of the same places and had similar experiences. We had a great time at Planet Hollywood and just driving around and seeing the sites. We saw Dane Cook Sunday night and Legends in concert last night, both were good, Robert Kelly who opened up for Dane, was even funnier than Dane was imo.

Legends in concert was great, the guy that impersonates James Brown was as good as the real James Brown and would have made him proud. The Britney Spears was better than the real deal and had 75% fewer stretchmarks. My wife is still ga ga over the Elvis impersonator who seemed to really enjoy preforming and was outside shaking hands and taking pics and making sure everyone had fun and we did.

My team bowled their usual, everyone around 550 each set, and threatening to score well if they could just stay lined up and not make mistakes every third shot. The shot seemed to break down quickly this year, the heads started drying up after the first game of team, this helped open up the lane, to the point where the shot was very deep between the 4th and 5th arrow out to the 8 to 10 board as GP mentioned. The key was not to try to hook the ball, and just let the lane do the work, but it is hard telling yourself you don't need to hook the ball when moving in that deep.

There was another shot with an aggressive ball with high speed and marginal side rotation, but you had to be accurate and be able to maintain a high ball speed without grabbing the ball at the release. Two of my teammates were able to shoot a couple of mid 600 sets playing this line, would have been higher if they were more polished at playing this line, like I said mistakes every 3 to 5 frames killed off what could have been some great scores.

I stopped by the storm booth and checked out the storm staff members' balls they had on display. It is funny how Norm Duke and Pete Webber's hands are bigger than Wes Malott who is a foot taller. Wes uses a ton of bevel in his thumb, Norm's holes are fairly sharp and his thumb looks like a triangle shape. Check it out at the storm booth if you are out there.

#93190 - 05/27/09 12:03 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: CoachJim]
General Pounder Offline

We bowled team at 8:30pm on Sunday and D/S at 11:30pm on Monday. Didn't get there until 8 on Sunday and the Storm booth as well as most of the others were already closed. When we got there at 10:30 for the D/S, the only place left open was the bar.

Page 17 of 29 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 28 29 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.