BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76890 - 01/24/09 01:43 PM What are the rules for my situation?
bowl2beatu Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 19/Male/Durant; OK
I am a 19 year old college student who has been asked to join a Tuesday night men's league. I have been bowling in youth leagues of and on through high school. I was never able to compete in men's leagues in high school bc i was told that if i were to accept money in that league, then i wouldn't be able to compete in high school sports. Now that i am in college, i want to join a men's league. My question is, by joining a men's league will anything happen to my current scholarship money(non athletic) or my financial aid money? Thx 4 any help.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#76893 - 01/24/09 01:54 PM Re: What are the rules for my situation? [Re: bowl2beatu]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
Are you competing or bowling on College bowling team? If you are not then you dont have to worry about anything. You can still bowl men's adult league and wont have to forfiet any scholarship money or finical aid. I think the rule only applies if you are on bowling scholarship for your college bowling team or bowling on college team. But not 100% sure there a couple college bowlers on here who be able to help out more.
BowlSk: Stats

#76894 - 01/24/09 02:02 PM Re: What are the rules for my situation? [Re: Brandon510]
bowl2beatu Offline
Bumper Bowler

No i am not competing or bowling on a college bowling team. Thank you for your reply, it is much appreciated. Anyone else have any further info on this situation?

#76896 - 01/24/09 02:30 PM Re: What are the rules for my situation? [Re: bowl2beatu]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The existing scholarship monies you have accumulated from youth bowling will remain yours, but you cannot earn anymore once you join an adult league (which has nothing to do with prize money). Once you buy an adult card, your scholarship earning days are over. But the monies you already have stay in your account.

Erin

#76897 - 01/24/09 02:36 PM Re: What are the rules for my situation? [Re: Atochabsh]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
I think the skinny here is that it won't affect your non-bowling scholarships and your regular financial aid (i.e. Pell grants, student loans). As others have said, however, joining an adult league prevents you from bowling for scholarships.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#76898 - 01/24/09 03:04 PM Re: What are the rules for my situation? [Re: Richie V.]
bowl2beatu Offline
Bumper Bowler

This is great news! Thx for all of the advise. If anyone still has something to add plz do.

#76954 - 01/25/09 01:04 AM Re: What are the rules for my situation? [Re: bowl2beatu]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
Just remember once you turn adult you cant go back. So once you start bowling for money you wont be able to bowl for scholarship anymore.
BowlSk: Stats

#77127 - 01/26/09 11:39 AM Re: What are the rules for my situation? [Re: Brandon510]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I believe that will also mean that you can no longer bowl in any tournaments that are considered "youth" tournaments with or without scholarship winnings. So just a little addition that many hit on but it was never specifically brought up. This also means no "youth" leagues as well.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#77143 - 01/26/09 01:06 PM Re: What are the rules for my situation? [Re: sk8shorty01]
bowl2beatu Offline
Bumper Bowler

Good bc im trying to get as far away from "youth" league as possible lol. When i first started "youth" league it was fun and competitive. Once the older kids left, and i grew up, i was now the oldest bowler in a league filled with a bunch of wild, crazy kids. These kids took nothing serious, and they were kids that were never bowling when they were supposed to. They were always off playing with other kids instead of bowling.

#77151 - 01/26/09 01:57 PM Re: What are the rules for my situation? [Re: bowl2beatu]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
I bowled in adult leagues while in college and it didn't affect any of my financial aid. Actually, I broke the "youth barrier" when I subbed on my dad's state tournament team when I was 18. I also bowled on a college team after I had been bowling adult leagues for 2 years and I was fine there as well.

The only thing adult leagues affect is your "youth status" and ability to earn scholarships through USBC. I'm not 100% sure about the NCAA, though, because I was not on the college team via scholarship.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
PBA 2 Game Formats and Roll-Offs (No Spoilers)
by Mkirchie - 1 second ago
2019 Summer Leagues
by wronghander - 07/15/19 11:07 PM
Tips to get back to a semi-roller release?
by djp1080 - 07/15/19 12:48 AM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:08 AM
Bowling Ball Hall of Fame
by BOSStull - 07/13/19 10:03 AM
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by champ - 07/09/19 12:12 AM
So the 3-unit oil rule is dead.
by wronghander - 06/24/19 11:47 PM
tennis elbow
by TheDemolitionMan - 06/24/19 10:34 AM
Creative Bowling Solutions Power Finger Grips
by MNsportsfan - 06/24/19 09:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.