BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 24 of 29 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 28 29 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#97969 - 07/14/09 06:19 AM Re: USBC Open [Re: beefers1]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
Wow, sounds like you guys are having quite an experience. I would like to try this some day, when I get good enough. Just 1 question, though: you go all the way to Vegas just to bowl 9 games?

Some people do, when I used to bowl in it, I would bowl in all of the satellite tournaments as well, it would be close to if not more than 20 games.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#97973 - 07/14/09 06:52 AM Re: USBC Open [Re: beefers1]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Beefers, there are 2 divisions, regular and classified, and it really is over/under 185 sanctioned average. There is also a Senior Division over 55. So, you have an opportunity to bowl against a reasonably close group in average and age.

In Vegas, I don't know the exact amount of entrants, but let's say there are 120,000 bowlers from all over the Country that you are bowling against, in the same pattern, and can compare your results against. And, you do that in a 5-man team event, Doubles and Singles competitions. So, yes that is only 9 games.

It is kind of humbling, but you know where you stack up against some equal quality, and what it is you should work on.

The added interest is the brackets of many types that you can enter. So, there is a little wagering that goes on too. But, it is a good time for most too get away for a bowlers weekend or short trip.

But, hey, It's Vegas for a getaway with or without your significant other.
http://www.bowl.com/tournaments/usbcopen/national/main.aspx

And, the opening ceremonies are cool. All bowlers march in together, in lane assignment order, and walk to their lanes. The Cashman Center looks massive and intimidating with wall to wall 60 lanes. Reno has 80. You go through a pretty serious ball check-in and weigh procedure. I found a ball 2 oz over in top weight a couple of years ago. You get to rub elbows with the major Ball Mfgrs in their booth, and talk the newest and most improved equipment. Ask questions of the reps, and get a good appreciation for their equipment. All are partial, of course.

After 3 hours of bowling, you go off and enjoy the nightlife of the town, and most have a really good time, even though you may find out you rank 24,345 out of those who bowled. That can be humbling.

http://www.bowl.com/tournaments/usbcopen/National/lowtocash.aspx

These numbers really aren't that intimidating, are they?

Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#98562 - 07/20/09 06:11 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: Dennis Michael]
Richie V. Offline
Virtual League Secretary,
Virtual League Champion x4

A/S/L: 52/M/Brockton, MA
http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15800&f=1

Entering the final week of competition, the excitement of last weekend was generated by tournament rookie Jonathan Schalow of Marshfield, WI, who had games of 299, 255, and 253 in doubles for an 807, the 6th 800 series of the tournament, and PBA Hall of Famer Wayne Webb of Sacramento, CA (Erin probably knows him wink ), who had the 34th perfect game of the Open Championships in his singles event.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs
Avg.: 197 (Summer 2008)
Book: 186
Series: 707
Game: 288

Current
Brunswick Mixed - Avg: 168 HS: 615 HG: 255
Composite avg. (w/ Sun. night sub): 170

The Tenth Board: My bowling blog
Richie's BowlSK profile

#98980 - 07/24/09 05:25 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15819&f=1

First-timers Robert Carter (636) and Michael Warren (614) of Clinton, NC teamed for a 1,250 to take the Classified Doubles lead with the tournament winding down this weekend.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs

Current

Richie's BowlSK profile

#99014 - 07/25/09 05:42 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: Richie V.]
Richie V. Offline

http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=15822&f=1

A record-breaking 2009 USBC Open Championships are now in the history books. The article linked above has a good recap, including photos of all of this year's champions.
IQ Tour Fusion
Reign of Fire
Tropical Breeze
Fast
T-Zone

Career Highs

Current

Richie's BowlSK profile

#102344 - 09/08/09 09:36 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: Richie V.]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Well, it looks like I may not have a team for Reno. I am in charge of my 4 teams next year. I have contacted everyone and so far I have received back 10 people who are not going or have other teams already. Looks like I will be spending my Memorial Day at home next year. At least the wife will be happy.

#102362 - 09/09/09 06:42 AM Re: USBC Open [Re: General Pounder]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I might have a spot available that weekend on my team. Jonathan my doubles partner (when I could bowl) may not be able to go, he and his wife are having twins due in december, I think he will have his hands full and will most likely not be able to make it. He barely made it last year, so I would be shocked if he made it this year.

The only thing is the team I bowl on is no where near the caliber of bowlers you are used to traveling with, but I'm sure they would be happy to have you. They aren't horrible, but they aren't bringing home any eagles any time soon either, we cashed in 300th place 4 years ago in team and they all usually cash and do ok in brackets.

Let me know if you are interested and I will ask if the spot is available.

#102424 - 09/09/09 08:39 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: CoachJim]
General Pounder Offline

Thanks Coach. I promised my wife though that if I got on with another squad that I would try to do it a different weekend. She doesn't like her Memorial Day "ruined" every year by me going away. I have a few guys around here who have been asking me if I want to go that I have a spot with them. I'm going to make a few more phone calls/send a few more e-mails to my current teammates and see where they stand. I have a feeling that most of the rest will still go but they procrastinate. They are the reason why we always get the zombie squads.

#103804 - 09/25/09 01:20 PM Re: USBC Open [Re: General Pounder]
VampyreBowler Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 45/Male/Thurmont, MD
I've been going out there the last 6 years. Last year was the Tues/Wed following Memorial Day. Every other year was the Tues/Wed before Memorial Day. Next year I'm going out with a different squad and will be going early July which is better for my wife as she works in the school systems and the end of May is very hard for her to get off. When it goes to Baton Rouge, we will be going out at the same time as Mardi Graus which actually falls on Spring Break for her. The guy is is setting all this up has family in that area. In my 6 trips out I have cashed twice in Singles and Twice in Doubles. 2 years ago we got the DVD of us bowling teams and I used that to figure out where I need to play and I felt this years tourney was my most consistant.

#104409 - 10/03/09 09:42 AM Re: USBC Open [Re: VampyreBowler]
General Pounder Offline

It' official. My teams aren't going. I was able to get a few of the guys but most of them don't want to go to Reno again. If it was anywhere else, I wouldn't have any problems fielding at least 2 teams. I'm going to wait on the results of my wrist before I commit to a new team though. I went to NM a couple years ago when I was 3+ months removed from ACL surgery. Hindsight I shouldn't have gone. If I have to have any work done on my wrist, I won't go. It's wouldn't be fair to my new team.

Page 24 of 29 < 1 2 ... 22 23 24 25 26 28 29 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.