BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76205 - 01/20/09 11:45 AM Diary of a new bowler.
Methofaroketskick Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 23/F/FL
I'd like to see if I can keep this online journal going of my progress as a new bowler in hopes that maybe others can read it and be encouraged if they're having a hard time or not getting something. This will be for every time I go to the lanes.

Yesterday (Jan. 19th 2009) I went in for my first lesson and figured out why my ball kept going to the right. I was pulling the ball. Through the at least, 45 minute lesson I pretty much have down how to throw the ball.

Being left handed I start out with my left foot bringing the ball down to my side collapse my right foot on my 3rd step to slide into my 4th and throw the ball evenly, smoothly and follow through.

I did this a few times and I do still sometimes pull the ball, but I did get some good shots doing this. I just need to practice.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#76213 - 01/20/09 12:28 PM Re: Diary of a new bowler. [Re: Methofaroketskick]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Metho, you will be surprised how pulling with your arm is often caused by the steps you take. Through your trek, you will find many inter-related things that logically, don't seem how they fit. But, one will affect another.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#76251 - 01/20/09 05:04 PM Re: Diary of a new bowler. [Re: Dennis Michael]
Junior Master

Thanks! I think whats going on is, I pull my arm way to the left and out on my back swing and it goes across my body to the right. I'm a left handed bowler. My hardest things is keeping my arm straight. I figured that out that today's practice.

#76255 - 01/20/09 05:34 PM Re: Diary of a new bowler. [Re: Methofaroketskick]
Fgreco Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/Male/Brick, NJ
I used to side are the ball when throwing it. Somewhat like Randy Johnson LOL. I am a right handed bowler. I stoped doing it with a shorter stroke and keeping things just simple.

If you see me bowl you wont see a cranker or a guy with a lot of spin or rotation on the ball or anything. Not to say there is something wrong with crankers because they usually are very good bowlers, that i see anyway.

Arsenal:
Ebonite Mission 2.0 16#
Ebonite V2 Sweet 16#
Ebonite Maxim Spare ball 16#
Colombia 300 Shadow/R 16#

#76273 - 01/20/09 07:27 PM Re: Diary of a new bowler. [Re: Fgreco]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I have a similar issue once in a while with tugging. Usually however, the ball will either tug left and I know it was my release and I in turn keep the elbow locked and as straight back as possible to fix it (no pulling the ball behind my back on the backswing, I have video of me doing that once and it was the most awful thing to see myself do. Never again do I want that because it caused me to then compensate and swing out the wrong way on the release. Yuck.) and sometimes I will slide the ball out too far right, I'm a righty, and the ball will skid further downlane that I intended and won't have enough to come back pocket, if its a deep inside swing shot, or If I'm playing a closer line, the ball will find more dry and kick like the dickens. I wouldn't say I'm a cranker but a tweener for sure. My slower ball speed also aids to get the angle going. But the good thing is that knock-on-wood my slower ball speed doesn't seem to affect my hitting power at all. In fact, I've been told I have an explosive ball reaction and hit, which surprised me based on my speed, yet based on the pins reaction I am hoping they find it pretty explosive too lol!

The online public diary is a nice touch. I will be sure to check this thread out to see how far along both your and my improvements are coming.

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#76275 - 01/20/09 07:52 PM Re: Diary of a new bowler. [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Junior Master

I don't know what a cranker or a tweener is, but I guess just keep practicing until I get it?

Anyone can use this to keep progress on their game. It's open!

#76277 - 01/20/09 08:02 PM Re: Diary of a new bowler. [Re: Methofaroketskick]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Methofaroketskick
I don't know what a cranker or a tweener is, but I guess just keep practicing until I get it?

A cranker, tweener, and stroker are the three categories for describing hook style releases. Stroker is very smooth off the hand and up the side of the ball, not overly intending on imparting too many revs to the ball and often allows players to bowl straighter lines. A cranker is pretty much the opposite, big hook, lots of wrist action, and strong finger position and imparted revs, often play big deep inside swing shots where they pull the ball out far right towards the opposite gutter side of the lane and hook it back pocket. A tweener is in between the stroker and the cranker, where the release is medium in imparted revs, strong finger position and wrist action. Some bowlers can manipulate their release to match more of other styles at whim in order to better fit lane conditions, playable lines, and the overall look and hit to the pocket.

Some people also relate the styles based on the number of revs they can attain, which is fairly understandable in my book seeing as how each style generates different ball reaction and revolutions. But you can easily have a low rev cranker who still releases like a cranker but has a ball reaction more like a tweener and so on and so forth. Revs for each category in my opinion are estimated. Who is to say that a cranker can't release with the cranker style unless he imparts a certain number of minimum revs?

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#76768 - 01/23/09 12:46 PM Re: Diary of a new bowler. [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Junior Master

Thanks for exaplaining it to me.

Last night I went bowling and it all came together and flowed very well without hardly going into the gutter (check out my videos).

I ended up bowling a 113, 77, 93, and 112. I know, bad scores for most people, but good for me considering I've only been bowling since September and started out in the 50's.

#76778 - 01/23/09 01:38 PM Re: Diary of a new bowler. [Re: Methofaroketskick]
Fgreco Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/Male/Brick, NJ
Well you came a long way so far. You say 50's now your in the hundreds. You will just keep progressing.

Arsenal:
Ebonite Mission 2.0 16#
Ebonite V2 Sweet 16#
Ebonite Maxim Spare ball 16#
Colombia 300 Shadow/R 16#

#76790 - 01/23/09 02:42 PM Re: Diary of a new bowler. [Re: Fgreco]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Nice bowling, and don't try comparing your scores to other bowlers. This game is more about battling yourself than battling others within the sport. As long as you are bowling over your average and improving yourself thats what is most important.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
no one on for 5 days
by djp1080 - 5 minutes 12 seconds ago
True Motion vs. Black Widow Urethane
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:28 AM
Summer Leagues 2018 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/16/18 12:26 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/12/18 06:43 PM
2018 USBC Open Championships Syracuse NY
by 6_ball_man - 05/03/18 03:10 PM
For the good of the sport?
by Dennis Michael - 04/29/18 10:29 PM
Superstitions?
by Dennis Michael - 04/26/18 06:09 PM
Better Polish
by BOSStull - 04/24/18 12:24 PM
I'm pizzed at my ball driller
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 09:55 AM
Some awful lane conditions
by 82Boat69 - 04/24/18 06:46 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.