BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#17365 - 03/11/05 01:34 PM Re: axis rotation & axis tilt *****
Darrell Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 46 Male Michigan
Hello Bowling fans! Cheetah, I think you mean to say axis of rotation. When the bowling ball is released at 90 degrees axis of rotation, the ball tends to skid longer on oil, but when it hits the dry... left turn hard! To achieve 90 degree rotation of axis your hand must come around the ball and release the ball at about 3 o'clock. You must be coming up the side of the ball. Try experimenting coming more up the back of the ball, releasing at say 5 o'clock or between 4 & 5 o'clock producing about a 45 degree rotation of axis. This you will find will tend to produce a more controlled hook. Check out this web sight: Watch the stroker release (5 o'clock) verses the Cranker release (4 o'clock).
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/kennmelvin/kVideo.htm#Ball

--------------------
May all your corner pins fall

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#17366 - 03/11/05 02:13 PM Re: axis rotation & axis tilt
cheetah Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Seattle, WA/Right-handed
Darrell,

Yes, I think you're right. Whichever the case, my ball is rotating such that the axis is pointing back at me.

#17367 - 03/14/05 07:07 AM Re: axis rotation & axis tilt
Darrell Offline
High Roller

Hello Cheetah. It seems like you are releasing the ball at 3 o'clock. Your hand is apparently coming around the ball and coming up the side. You will be looking at the axis point of the ball in this case. When your ball hits the dry therefore, the reaction is going to be a violent hook on certain lane conditions. Obviously you can control this in most situations because you have a nice bowling average. But as you know some lane conditions will not allow you to use your "A" game, so you MUST develope a "B" game. I am working through the same problem as you. I am using a new release the league play and work on my "B" game in every practice session. I am going to consult a Gold level coach in the off season. May I suggest, that you do the same. You already have a great game. Think continuous Improvement.

--------------------

#17368 - 03/14/05 04:47 PM Re: axis rotation & axis tilt
cheetah Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Seattle, WA/Right-handed
Darrell,

I tried different releases in practice this weekend, working on releasing with my hand closer to 5 o'clock. By reaching out a little further in my release, it was a lot easier to stay behind the ball. Even on dry lanes I was able to keep the ball outside of the 10 board from the lay down point to the breakpoint, and even shot a 279 in one of my games.

I figure that under different circumstances, my axis of rotation had been less than 90 degrees, but I never realized it, let alone knew what it took to control it.

802dave,

You talked about forward roll creating more pin-clearing action. Do you think this applies to single pins too, particularly when shooting the 7-10? I've never come even remotely close to picking up the 7-10, probably due to the way I throw the ball. I use a plastic ball, but my 90 degree axis rotation doesn't kick the pin up at all or send it off the back wall. I tried the new release on the 10 pins, and wouldn't you know it, I had the 10 pin roll across the 7 pin spot 5 times in the 10 games I bowled (if only I had left the 7 pin too).

#17369 - 03/15/05 10:06 AM Re: axis rotation & axis tilt
Darrell Offline
High Roller

Hello all. Cheetah, you can shoot 211 averages with that kind side rotation, thats great. Next season you are going to be truly awesome. By the way, if you can bottle it, I will buy some. Happy Bowling.

--------------------

#33039 - 08/23/06 03:43 AM Re: axis rotation & axis tilt [Re: Darrell]
Gutter_Cleaner Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: OK
Hmm, 7-10 conversions and axis tilt. Well, I've been lucky enough to pick up two 7-10's, luck being the key word, and on both conversions the rotation or roll of the ball really had no impact on the way the ball contacted the corner pin. Both times I through at the 10 pin (right handed) because it was easier to generate speed and momentum aiming towards the pin that was outside of my right shoulder. Also I didn't want to chance cracking my ankle!=) The key for both of my conversions was to focus on creating a "dead roll". In terms of axis tilt and axis rotation, well, I didn't want any. I kept my wrist completely broken throughout the swing and release; this allowed a very free swing as well as eliminated wrist action at the point of release, ofcourse no "snapping" allowed! The second thing I focused on was to release the ball with fingers and thumb at the same time. By doing this there is a skid that occurs not from axis rotation, but from an honest "dead" rolling ball. Have you ever seen a beginning bowler lob a house ball down the lane at what seems to be at a hundred miles an hour and you can actually see the thumb hole on top of the ball at it plain out skids through across the entire lane? Well, that's the release you want. Hardest part: try not to rocket the ball into the pit! Just flow with your natural rhythm and swing, the power will be there if you trust your natural momentum.

#33070 - 08/24/06 10:28 AM Re: axis rotation & axis tilt [Re: Gutter_Cleaner]
nublet Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: male

#33094 - 08/25/06 02:23 AM Re: axis rotation & axis tilt [Re: nublet]
Gutter_Cleaner Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: OK
Hey nublet, that was an awesome little document on axis and rotation. I'm surprised it was so simply explained considering it was from a ball manufacturer. I've learned so much from this thread; this is great!

#50165 - 02/20/08 03:08 PM Re: axis rotation & axis tilt [Re: Gutter_Cleaner]
BackToStorm Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: CA
oops! Used my mobile and accidentally posted in the wrong thread. sorry!

Edited by BackToStorm (02/20/08 03:11 PM)

#76388 - 01/21/09 01:02 PM Re: axis rotation & axis tilt [Re: BackToStorm]
warhog19 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 49/m/Germany
Let me make sure I'm "tracking". Axis tilt refers to front to back and axis of rotation refers to side to side?
Storm Rapid Fire #15
Roto Grip Rogue Cell #15
Hammer Razyr #15
Brunswick T-zone #14

HG 253
HS 661
AVG 202

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.