BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76123 - 01/19/09 10:53 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: cgeorg]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
A note on ball speed. I will look into it eventually, but with a free swing, there should be *no* change in ball speed, with the tiniest caveat. The muscles that control the flexibility of the shoulder will have to go through an adjustment period as they learn to counteract the new weight, which may change speed a bit. After the change has been assimilated, the speed should end up the same as it was before. If it doesn't, you've been muscling.

Thats my thought as well. I think dropping in weight magnifies a preexisting muscling issue, but it doesn't cause you to muscle it. The heavier ball would just provide more resistance to the muscling.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#76125 - 01/19/09 11:05 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: cgeorg]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I was fortunate to get a 15 1/2 Hammer Anger. And while this ball feels heavier and is more difficult for me to throw, its carry is drastically different from my 15s. Even the 1/2 pound makes a big difference to me.

So I still stand by the idea of throw the heaviest you comfortably can.

Erin

#76126 - 01/19/09 11:19 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Atochabsh]
Fgreco Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/Male/Brick, NJ
How do you stop muscling the ball?

Arsenal:
Ebonite Mission 2.0 16#
Ebonite V2 Sweet 16#
Ebonite Maxim Spare ball 16#
Colombia 300 Shadow/R 16#

#76129 - 01/20/09 12:01 AM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Fgreco]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I guess my experience told me there is a certain weight resistance in the arm swing with any ball. You become used to that weight when you roll it for a while. When you drop in weight, the normal ball resistance is lessened, and you notice that in your swing. Generally, one would try to regain the memory of the former resistance, and that would require the use of muscles to do it.

It generally starts by pulling the backswing up because that is where you notice the weight drop. And, could continue in the down swing through the release. This will affecting your timing, eventually.

This is just what I gather from my 15# experiment and conversations with my Coach.

Where's Mkirchie???

Edited by Dennis Michael (01/20/09 12:02 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#76133 - 01/20/09 12:21 AM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Dennis Michael]
Fgreco Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/Male/Brick, NJ
Thanks for the tip.

Arsenal:
Ebonite Mission 2.0 16#
Ebonite V2 Sweet 16#
Ebonite Maxim Spare ball 16#
Colombia 300 Shadow/R 16#

#76135 - 01/20/09 12:45 AM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Fgreco]
SilentTuba Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/NJ
I dropped to 15 lbs. from 16 lbs. a few months ago. I like it. No significant difference in speed that I can see, and I don't think there's more revs...what I notice, is less wear on my arm. My arm isn't as tired after bowling a bunch of games as it used to be, and I like that a lot.

#76144 - 01/20/09 02:05 AM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: SilentTuba]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: SilentTuba
I dropped to 15 lbs. from 16 lbs. a few months ago. I like it. No significant difference in speed that I can see, and I don't think there's more revs...what I notice, is less wear on my arm. My arm isn't as tired after bowling a bunch of games as it used to be, and I like that a lot.

This statement confuses me. I have routinely bowled in 2 leagues in 1 day, afternoon and evening. And, I sometimes bowl again before evening. I can say that I easily bowl 20 games a week. In Summer, often more with a group of practice friends on Monday and Tuesday. Generally 6-8 games per night, plus any Summer league.

I have yet to feel tiredness in my arm. My lean would be you muscle your ball to feel tired, and feel less tired with a lighter ball.

Just my take. My normal routine is 3 leagues and 1, try for 2, practice nights per week. Somewhere between 20-30 games per week.

With all of that bowling, I should be better than I am.

#76162 - 01/20/09 07:36 AM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Dennis Michael]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
When I started bowling, with 16, I was fine. As I was able to spend less time at the alley, and my fitness level generally worsened, I found that my forearm would grow tired at the end of a 4 game set, from keeping my wrist in a strong position at the release point. While the amount of energy you put into a release shouldn't change, the amount of that the ball's energy can affect you will change. If you are near the failure point for your muscles, that 1 pound can make a big difference.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#76165 - 01/20/09 07:46 AM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I am right their with you Dennis,
Although you bowl a few more games than me (and your better)
I bowl two leagues every week, and a third every other week, and I usually practice at least four games a week..you would think I would be better as well wink

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#76188 - 01/20/09 10:04 AM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Tim Gerard]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Tim, with a hip injury a couple of years ago, and [censored] myself up bowling in PBA leagues, I complicated my mess by only bowling an inside line, that I am not very confident in. The compilation of these changes has really screwed with my consistency, and my average has suffered 10+ pins.

Many nights, like a few weeks ago, I start with 3 opens in the first 4 frames, then I run the table, finishing with the last 7. But, as fast as it comes back, it goes away. I just can't maintain consistency through the night.

How can I go 237, 257 and finish with a 160? Something just stops working, and I don't know why.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
This is a damned shame
by djp1080 - 07/09/20 11:07 PM
Ultimate Adjustable Thumb
by EdW - 07/05/20 08:43 PM
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 07/03/20 04:35 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 06/27/20 09:00 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 06/24/20 02:10 PM
Quitting my League
by mmalsed - 06/22/20 12:42 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 06/20/20 05:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.