BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7627 - 07/16/06 06:35 PM Re: smoking in the lanes how can it be
sawmill Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: ??/M/AZ
One of the reasons that I stopped bowling for years besides severe lack of time was that I grew tired of having somebody light up on a lane next to me and having the smoke on my lane as well. Breathing second-hand smoke is no fun not to mention unhealthy. If bowling centers here were still like then I would've never started bowling again. I can't count the number of times other bowlers have told me that same thing. (Same goes for Sport Bars.) Smokers still bowl at my center; they just smoke in the bar or outside. There's also a restaurant section outside of the bar for those who might want to eat and/or imbibe without smoking.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#7628 - 07/16/06 11:16 PM Re: smoking in the lanes how can it be
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Our lanes have started non-smoking nights for the first time this fall. They have always had non-smoking during Juniors or HS bowling leagues, and afternoons.
I talked with the manager recently, and she said the non-smoking nights are dead. They can't fill up a league, even with a mimimum of bowlers. She can't wait much longer. She may have to revert back.

I really haven't heard comments or seen any problem with ventilation. less than 20-25 % of bowlers smoke, and most smoke behind the lanes at tables.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#7629 - 07/17/06 05:54 AM Re: smoking in the lanes how can it be
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
During league play I haven't seen smoking banned here in NE PA. They do how ever have certain time for open bowlers where it is smoke free. They usually make 1/2 the lanes available as smoke free and the other half they can smoke. As a non smoker I think that's fair to the best of their abilities. If I went for open lanes and all they had was smoking lanes I'd take it but I'd opt for smoke free if it was available.
Storm - Natural

#7630 - 07/25/06 10:30 AM Re: smoking in the lanes how can it be
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

The City of Chicago has passed ordinances banning smoking in Public Places, including restaurants, bars, and bowling alleys, and within 15 feet of doorways on the outside. This has caused a large number of leagues to break-up, lose bowlers or move entirely to the surrounding suburbs. The suburban houses are usually newer and larger. They also have better ventilation systems.
This has been a boon for these houses.

There seems to be a generation gap in this ruling. The younger 20-30 age group, generally doesn't smoke. While the 40-50 age group still does. Then the over 60 group has stopped. This is affecting only one segment of the population, which comprise the majority of bowlers. In most cases, the majority rules, not in bowling.

#7631 - 08/04/06 08:37 PM Re: smoking in the lanes how can it be
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

Attended the league officers barbecue at our bowling alley. Another nice touch by them. New league and House rules were discussed after the dinner. One new house rule raised a stir. It seems, the alley will no longer allow cigar and pipe smoking inside.

2 league presidents, who I don't know, objected strongly to this rule, and continued an argue for at least a half an hour. The issue was the cigar smoking ban. One league president said he now has to have a captains meeting to see if the league will stay in this bowling alley, got up and walked out. The second president followed.

Didn't know that was such a touchy subject.

I have since heard that the first president has notified the House that his league is pulling out in favor of another bowling alley. I guess cigars are more important than bowling.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - Yesterday at 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.