BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7608 - 07/11/06 07:27 PM Anyone else like this...or am I too serious?
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Central Florida
I'm not much of a social person unless I get to talk to people I really have common interests with.

Where I live, even the scratch leagues are filled with people that bowl well, and the league itself is good, but I don't like the people on the teams I always end up with. The teams with people I might like to bowl with always seem to stay together and I have tried to 'seek out' other bowlers, but everyone is 'taken'.

Even this summer, I am on a team where one guy is like 80 and the other guy has no idea what the difference is between reactive resin and particle balls. The old guy always tells me, "Calm down, we're just bowling for fun."

Yes, it is fun, but it never seems to be fun when I am on a team. I never get on a team with bowler. I get on teams where people may bowl well, but they are not serious or they are not competative.

On the flip side, I love bowling on my own in tournaments. Even the local district tourneys I bowl in are fun and I enjoy the company. I would love going to more PBA events even if I didn't cash because the atmosphere is great and the people are great. And, I just like bowling as an individual much better and being able to hold the concentration and not worry about socializing (while bowling, at least).

My wife suggested that I don't bowl any leagues this fall, and just practice as much as I can, get a good coach (which I have not done ever before but I want to), and just bowl tournaments locally and others like PBA events that are within a state or 2.

At first I kind of shrugged the idea off, but the more I thought about it the more I kind of liked it.

I always complain about my teams every year it seems. Unless I drive more than an hour (one way), it seems like I always get on the teams I don't want to be on and I am miserable and sometimes lose interest in the league. This summer one has been the worst.

I'd love to know if anyone else has started to bowl just individually and not in leagues, and whether they enjoyed it more or not. I'm really starting to consider her idea.

All thoughts and pros and cons of the idea are welcome. smile

Thanks!

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#7609 - 07/11/06 08:39 PM Re: Anyone else like this...or am I too serious?
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
I sort of have that problem but it's only because I moved to a state where I knew no one so any house I bowl in I get stuck on bad teams by not knowing any better. The up side is I know enough people now to put together a team or I've been asked to be on a bunch of teams so I don't have to worry about what you're going through as much.

Having 3 others that have their heads in the game and come ready to bowl has been a huge help. The experience is enjoyable, we are clinging to 1st by a point but in general I like the people and I enjoy the night out.

I'd try to assemble a team on your own. People always drop off assembled teams so that could be an in. You could also sub this way you get league experience (beats reg practice and your scores count towards something) and you are not committed to any one team. You could still enter tournaments on your own and still have a better league experience by subbing. I'm not sure practicing on your own or with coaching and zero league play will exactly help your game. That's just me, I could be wrong.
Storm - Natural

#7610 - 07/11/06 08:56 PM Re: Anyone else like this...or am I too serious?
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Like Mike says, you can form a team on your own. Or if you don't really know who to ask, then I'd bowl in a handicap league (so you get discounted open play) and try to sub or at least hang around the scratch league. Don't wait until fall league to get lessons. Start now so that other people in your house (maybe scratch league bowlers) see you working and see you improving. That might give them more comfort in taking you on in the scratch league.

Erin

#7611 - 07/11/06 09:17 PM Re: Anyone else like this...or am I too serious?
sawmill Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: ??/M/AZ
Another idea is to find out when it is a good time to find serious bowlers practicing and go practice at those times. That would be Sunday morning and afternoon at my center and now I know enough people to ask around for any good teams looking for bowlers. That's also how I got onto my current handicap league team. I bowled on a summer league team that was not very good then somebody I met while practicing was sitting next to me and talking to me at the winter league meeting and his captain asked me if I wanted to join their team. We made the playoffs the year I joined and barely missed the playoffs last year. It's a lot more fun when your team is serious and competitive yet can still have fun.

#7612 - 07/11/06 10:58 PM Re: Anyone else like this...or am I too serious?
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/MD
Silent Mike, have you been to Hannover for the Glenn Blair tournament thats running?

#7613 - 07/12/06 04:52 PM Re: Anyone else like this...or am I too serious?
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Central Florida
Would a practice league possible suit my needs? It is more performance-based and individualized? Anyone have experience with a practice league?

#7614 - 07/13/06 04:45 PM Re: Anyone else like this...or am I too serious?
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by mkee19:
Silent Mike, have you been to Hannover for the Glenn Blair tournament thats running? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">No unfortunately, how far is that from Mt. Pocono if you know by any chance? I try to keep an eye open for local tournaments but I must have missed that one. Between work and what bowling I do M-F, I find myself playing catch up on life on Sat. and Sunday. It's a ways off but States is coming through the local lanes this coming year. I plan on being at that without fail and what ever ones I can take in along the way.
Storm - Natural

#7615 - 07/13/06 05:33 PM Re: Anyone else like this...or am I too serious?
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/MD
I dont know, the tournament runs until October. Its every weekend until the end of October.

#7616 - 07/13/06 07:02 PM Re: Anyone else like this...or am I too serious?
ORobbed1 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 48/male/so. cal
Pin Bomber, Iím not sure whether the practice leagues at your center are like mine, but my experience is that you will mostly have low to mid range bowlers and a few really good bowlers. I like to bowl them because at my center they are cheap (very low prize fund collection and discounted lineage) and you receive a minimum of three free practice games every day of the week and I take full advantage of that perk. For the $44 to $48 per month (4 weeks x $11 or $12) you get 90+/- free games + the 12 during the league gives you a potential of 100 games @ less than $50 or < $.50 per game. It can be quite a bargain if you are able to take advantage. Even if you only use half the beni youíre still only paying a net of $1.00 per line. Good luck in your search, I have joined leagues 'blind' before and find that bowling just isn't much fun if you don't enjoy the company of the people that you bowl with.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by Mkirchie - 05/28/20 10:19 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.