BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76128 - 01/19/09 11:46 PM Summer situation
Adam Keene
Unregistered

Me and someone were talking about this summer... usually we go bowling every so often.. I noticed this year my average jumped 20 pins pretty effortless and his stayed the same, after spiking 20 pins and then going back down. well as the league is almost ending.. just a few months left.. i was having a conversation with him and asked him what he was going to do.

I told him i might skip going bowling every week and get a coach for every other week... he told me I was an idiot and I tried convincing him, using pure logic, that he should do it as well or at least try it. I'll quote the exact reply "you do that man, i don't need it im already the best in the league"

now, i know he's wrong and makes no sense.. but what do you think would be the best scenario. League, casual bowling or a coach every other week.. There are quite a few months between bowling being over so I figure once a week going bowling I can work on a lot of different things.. but obviously a coach would be a "fast forward" thing.

anyone do something during the summer?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#76131 - 01/20/09 12:12 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: ]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I don't think I will bowl league this year. I just need the mental rest.

But, I certainly will take advantage of the PBA practice on Monday night for only a buck a game. 6 games each Monday on a challenging pattern is a good practice.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#76134 - 01/20/09 12:22 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: Dennis Michael]
Adam Keene
Unregistered

that sounds really good.. i wish there was something like that around here.

#76136 - 01/20/09 12:46 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: ]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
I bowl league in summer. Otherwise I cannot afford open play.

I also am not that solid with my game that I can take off 4 months and come back at the same level. The struggle of getting back to the level I want to be at, is too frustrating to NOT bowl summer and keep my game fresh.

I'll never argue with anyone that wants to take lessons. But I still think at least one league in the summer is a good idea.

Erin

#76138 - 01/20/09 01:27 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: ]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
Regular practice is great, but unless you can see your own problems or bowl with some one who sees them practice alone won't fix what's wrong or give you suggestions of things to try to improve. So I say get a coach if you can afford one.

Last summer I bowled in a PBAX league which was a nice challenge, but I'm not sure if we will have that league again this summer so I may end up going the coach route myself. If my finances will allow it.

#76143 - 01/20/09 01:56 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: TenPin_]
Adam Keene
Unregistered

the thing about my friend, and bowling partner, is that he thinks he's the best and there isn't anything he needs to change.

if he posted a video of himself everyone here would be on his case about his approach, him muscling the ball, him lofting the ball over the dots every throw. him not following through.. a number of things (this isn't a rant to say he sucks) so it's hard to get advice from him "hey did you see me do anything really wrong" I was chicken winging my old ball for years and he never mentioned a thing..

#76152 - 01/20/09 06:14 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: ]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Summer is also a good time to bowl a different format. Find a scratch league, a different house, a different league. Of course its a great time for coaching being that averages do not go into the book and you are freed up from that mental push. Around my place, I cannot afford open play prices without league membership benefits.

Erin

#76159 - 01/20/09 07:24 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: ]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I would get the coaching and practice as much as you can over the summer. After you start averaging 30+ pins more than your friend then he may have a different opinion of coaching, if not you will enjoy taking his money.

#76167 - 01/20/09 08:14 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: CoachJim]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I think I'm going to try a PBA league again this year, and practice more on synthetic lanes, because my house is converting for next years season. But the one thing I am definately going to do is see my coach on a much more regular basis. I have struggled this year, and my average has dropped considerably. I need to get my game back to where I am more consistant. Its not much fun when you bowl badly,...coaching will surely help.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#76174 - 01/20/09 08:55 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: Tim Gerard]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
In the summer I usually bowl in one league (keep that adjustment phase fresh) and I take a lesson with my coach every other week. This gives me one week with league only, and one with both. This really works well for me, and if it fits within your financial restraints I would definitely look into a similar situation.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
End of Days
by steveA - 10/16/19 06:00 PM
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - 10/04/19 06:17 PM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 11:01 AM
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 09/22/19 10:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.