BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76177 - 01/20/09 09:22 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: sk8shorty01]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
The problem I have with coaching is that many bowlers don't practice what they learn. Just bowling in a once a week league doesn't give you enough time to really learn what you have been taught. Practice is important at this time.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#76179 - 01/20/09 09:39 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
I saw my coach on Saturday, and went and practiced Sunday. At first it was awkward implementing what the coach told me to work on. But with repetition it started to come along, and by the end of my practice session I felt fairly comfortable. You are right Dennis,..the more you practice, the easier you engrain what you learn from a coach. I wish I had more time to devote to practice, but bowling in two leagues,.. and one every other Saturday, and practice every Sunday morning, I start to get that look from the wife...LOL.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#76192 - 01/20/09 10:29 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: Tim Gerard]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Hey, I got that look from the wife last week. The old girl still has it.

If that's what you mean?
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#76197 - 01/20/09 11:01 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
UUHhhh...I don't think that was the same look...not the come hither look you got Dennis. It was more like where the heck do you think your going look.

If thats what you mean? LOL

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#76204 - 01/20/09 11:43 AM Re: Summer situation [Re: Tim Gerard]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
What's this wife thing you talk about? wink

I guess it's a tough call between regular practice and semi-regular coaching with little or no additional practice. There are positives to each of them. But if you're only bowling buddy is the one you describe as not being helpful to pointing out things you need to work on, and you feel you are doing things wrong or that you could just be doing things better, then I still think a some lessons are a good idea. You can always just do 1 lesson a month instead of 2, and use the money saved to get a few practice games in each week (or every other week). Or do what I'm getting ready to do, sell a few things on Ebay to support your habits...er...hobby!

#76210 - 01/20/09 12:07 PM Re: Summer situation [Re: TenPin_]
Adam Keene
Unregistered

addiction*

and yes, my bowling buddy isn't too helpful. He said he doesn't want to bowl much anyways cause he doesn't want to "waste money".

I guess I'll join a summer league find a coach around here or maybe even join the PBAX league at an alley near here.

my uncle bowls 3 nights a week, averages 225 on the house shots and always complains that the lanes are too dry... and i don't want to be doing that.. though I'm already accustomed to the dry lanes.. even dryer cause my league is 2 leagues after his smirk i wish i was lefty.

#76220 - 01/20/09 01:00 PM Re: Summer situation [Re: ]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
During the summer, I bowl in a Sport league. That is the only time of year that I can find one near me. I work on my game during the summer time. My teammates know upfront that the summer is for me to work on my game. Last summer, I changed all of my equipment to no grips. I struggled for a long time last summer before I got the hang of it.

If you can get a coach every other week, go for it. I would ignore your buddy. There are a lot of people who are content with where they are at. Doesn't sound like you.

#76222 - 01/20/09 01:06 PM Re: Summer situation [Re: General Pounder]
Adam Keene
Unregistered

Nowhere near content. I'm not a pro so I must not be the best and I'm not staff for anyone so I must not be too great.. My friend was content with his 185 average last year and he's content with his 183 this year.. If he wants to be there and not improve that's fine I guess. That seems to be the attitude of a lot of house bowlers anyways.

#76223 - 01/20/09 01:14 PM Re: Summer situation [Re: General Pounder]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Originally Posted By: General Pounder
I would ignore your buddy.

I would agree with this completely. The best advice my coach has ever given me is to pick and choose who you listen and take advice from because there are a lot of people out there that bowl well in league but have no clue as to what you are doing right and wrong. I have about three people I trust enough to take advice on my game, other than that I listen but never take them completely serious as I know most of these people are not telling you what they know, but rather what they have heard, which isn't always right.

IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#76224 - 01/20/09 01:21 PM Re: Summer situation [Re: sk8shorty01]
Adam Keene
Unregistered

I agree, I used to bowl where people would say "your hand looks like an eagle when you bowl, you're going to break your wrist" and that i was bowling wrong and stuff like that and it was basically just like Tommy Jones' ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VMdyhBgByw ) but never understood what they meant

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - Yesterday at 07:42 AM
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.