BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76086 - 01/19/09 05:54 PM Visual Target and Quiet Eye
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
So I've been doing plenty of research on bowlingknowledge.info and found the 3 point targeting method as well as quiet eye. I truly believe that they will both greatly help my accuracy problems.

But here's the dilemma: My visual target is probably not where it should be and my eyes are seemingly swimming on my head.

So where does everyone place there visual target? Not so much as in arrows or further because I understand how to adjust the length with this but I am more interested in what board/arrow you look at? Is it the same board you want the ball to slide to as it exits the pattern/hits the breakpoint? Or is it not the same board/arrow?

Secondly, do you ever feel like your eyes are swimming and bouncing around the visual target you want? If so how do you stop this and quiet your eyes?

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#76098 - 01/19/09 08:13 PM Re: Visual Target and Quiet Eye [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Your primary target is usually in the vacinity of the arrows. That's why they were incorporated into the lanes. The breakpoint is further down the lane of course and if you target this, its really too far away to be very accurate. So when you visualize your ball path, all the way down the lane, to the breakpoint and into the pocket you then draw your eyes back down to your primary target and go.

There was a Ron Clifton tip about this that helps me. And I'll be darned if i can find it again. Anyway, it goes something like this. You focus on your primary target for 2 seconds (real seconds slow) then move your eyes down your imaginary ball path and focus on your breakpoint for 2 seconds. Then pull back to your primary target, 2 seconds and go. This will actually give your eyes something to do, rather then just trying to be "quiet".

Erin

#76099 - 01/19/09 08:21 PM Re: Visual Target and Quiet Eye [Re: Atochabsh]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
That was a Slowinski tip I believe, not a Clifton tip. Both great coaches that come up with some really good tips/drills. I think their sites should be required reading.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#76101 - 01/19/09 08:31 PM Re: Visual Target and Quiet Eye [Re: cgeorg]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

Yeah it was Slowinski. that was the tip I've been focusing on to start with that actually spurred this thread lol. Well its good to know that I'm asking the right questions. I also agree that those two sites should be required reading for any bowler that wants to excel. hugely helpful.

But my question that the Slowinski article did not quite go into enough depth on was based on the fact that your exit point, or breakpoint, is your target down lane while your visual target is up near the arrows or so. That being said, the exit point for a righty should typically, or at least on a swing shot for sure, be further right than the visual target? This would allow the bowler to compensate for the slide they wish correct? This could be part of my accuracy issues if I'm right since I have been placing my visual target too close to my exit point board wise. So am I right in saying this? or no?

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#76105 - 01/19/09 08:43 PM Re: Visual Target and Quiet Eye [Re: cgeorg]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
I was never taught to do it but through a lot of trial and error I pretty much do exactly what Erin said and it works good for me. I have some reading to do it looks like.

When I first started I use to "area" bowl. I'd spot reflections on the lanes and aim for that. I had good nights but I was never accurate enough to be as consistent as I am using the arrows. Steadying your head during the approach goes a long way to keeping your eyes fixed on a specific point. Ever see a Cheetah chase it's prey? The body flails wildly but the head is dead steady. Now I can only focus like that on my favorite napping chair or a steak dinner.
Storm - Natural

#76107 - 01/19/09 08:56 PM Re: Visual Target and Quiet Eye [Re: Silent Mike]
Adam Keene
Unregistered

in my house you don't need to play boards. you just throw it to the right and it will hit pocket. :s

#76109 - 01/19/09 09:05 PM Re: Visual Target and Quiet Eye [Re: ]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

that seems odd. How does any lane condition actually allow you do to that?

#76111 - 01/19/09 09:15 PM Re: Visual Target and Quiet Eye [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Adam Keene
Unregistered

ill ask the owner.

voted easiest lanes around.

#76121 - 01/19/09 10:39 PM Re: Visual Target and Quiet Eye [Re: ]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Yes that's the tip. Sorry to not get the right coach.

Anyway, what's so hard about that? You do it, you make a point of one one thousand, two one thousand....move your eyes, one one thousand......... You do it. This will teach you how to quiet your eyes and have usefull focus on your target and ball path.

Now I will say that if you are trying to fix about 3 or 6 other things at the same time then no, you probably cannot do it. This is why every coach reguardless of viewpoint, will tell you that you cannot work on more then maybe one or two things per session. You cannot fully focus on the tasks when there's too many of them. Once you get comfortable and automatic on a skill then you can move on to the next. But it takes over 10000 GOOD repetitions of a task to start getting it set in muscle memory.

Erin

#76147 - 01/20/09 02:18 AM Re: Visual Target and Quiet Eye [Re: Atochabsh]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Whoa, 10000 good repetitions!!!!!! If I have a bad one in the middle, do I have to start all over???

Let's see..... 2 balls per frame over 10 frames is 20 balls per game. THAT'S 500 GAMES!?!? At 20 games a week, that's 25 weeks, and all of the perfect ball.

Boy, I'd better remember how to do it after that.

Is the number up for negotiation?

Edited by Dennis Michael (01/20/09 02:19 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.