BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7602 - 07/16/06 11:59 AM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
I'd say we have medium-heavy oil conditions. I normally play a deeper line but lately I've moved right, play the 5 board and as long as I can find my sharp break point the carry is usually there.

On my Friday league they lay down less oil but surprisingly a similar shot carries there. Stay slow with my feet, stay down on the shot, keep my speed up with a lot of hand in the ball at the release and keep it around the 5 board. If I do my part the ball does the rest.

Broncobilly, if you are looking at the Paradigm it's a good ball but Ebonite's The Big One is a much better ball. Ebonite has made a believer of me, the sound the ball makes when slamming all 10 in the pit is something else.
Storm - Natural

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#7603 - 07/16/06 04:18 PM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
Rollin' Cowboy Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39/M/Atlanta
AHHHH..Summer leagues. Don't you just love' 'em?

I'm not an ardent fan of summer leagues either because you never know if/when your teammates are gonna show up. Generally...you find yourself outclassed in terms of handicap. Example: On our Friday night mixed team...between all of us combined...we have 93 pins of handicap. Every week we are giving anywhere from 180 to 290 sticks per game. Needless to say that we are definietly on the lower end of the standings and we've got 2 weeks to go with no chance to recover. However: summer leagues are a good venue for those who are new to the sport and it's always hopeful that they will spill over into the fall season.

Cal Russell

It takes balls to play this game.

#7604 - 07/17/06 12:51 AM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
BSchaff Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23/M/Florida
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by Rollin' Cowboy:
AHHHH..Summer leagues. Don't you just love' 'em?

I'm not an ardent fan of summer leagues either because you never know if/when your teammates are gonna show up. Generally...you find yourself outclassed in terms of handicap. Example: On our Friday night mixed team...between all of us combined...we have 93 pins of handicap. Every week we are giving anywhere from 180 to 290 sticks per game. Needless to say that we are definietly on the lower end of the standings and we've got 2 weeks to go with no chance to recover. However: summer leagues are a good venue for those who are new to the sport and it's always hopeful that they will spill over into the fall season.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">I agree with what you said 100%. In a summer league you're almost penalized for your good bowling... as absurd as it seems, my 52 handicap (90% of 220) is among the lowest in the league but I did this league with my girlfriend and we're all having a lot of fun which is the most important thing right now. This is my first league experience and I look forward to doing this again in the fall. However, it's not without it's share of frustrations... when you're going up against a team with 400+ pins of handicap (not at all uncommon in my league), you really feel like you're down 12-0 before you ever come to bat in the bottom of the 1st. On the plus side it teaches you to just sack up and deal with it ahead of time but that doesn't make it any less irritating when you're trying to dig out of what seems an impossibly deep hole. It seems like you'll never catch up, and some nights you can't. That's just how the handicap system works I guess.
12/25/05, 11:09 PM... the time I dropped two C-notes on the lanes for the first time.

League goals: 500 series, 150+ average. None down, two to go...

#7605 - 07/17/06 01:50 AM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
The handicap system is suppose to bring both teams to the finish line at the same pace.

If you are taking on 300+ pins per game handicap its a huge hurdle no doubt, but you are not expected to make it up in the first 4 to 6 frames of bowling. You are supposed to be challenged to the line of the 10th frame. If you catch them by the 9th frame you done great.

When giving many pins handicap, take the above into consideration.

Erin

#7606 - 07/17/06 05:51 AM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
What hurts is when you run into a team that has sandbagged or just shoots way over their normal scores AND you're giving up pins like that. You could have 15 frames some nights and it's not enough.

Usually though like Erin said if you give up that many pins it's because your team is that much better. By the end of the game you should be in the neighborhood of winning/losing within reason.
Storm - Natural

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.