BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76039 - 01/19/09 10:16 AM 16# vs 15# comment yesterday
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
It was during the Jones match yesterday, when Randy mentioned that TJ has been working with his Coach, Baker, for almost a year to correct a problem. Seems like he switched from 16# balls to 15#, I gather last March. In doing so, his backswing became too vertical and his arm was forced, per Randy.

Finally, TJ switched back to 16# balls, under the advise of his Coach, and he is bowling much better.

I have been cautioned about this by my Coach repeatedly as in his opinion, I would tend to carry my backswing too high by using my arm, and it follows through to my release. I even purchased 15# balls to try, and found this to be true.

I guess 15# is not for everyone. And, the switch should not be done in an attempt to gain revs. This is a formula for muscling.

Edited by Dennis Michael (01/19/09 10:19 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#76052 - 01/19/09 11:25 AM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Dennis Michael]
Russ I. Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 43/m/wis
I switched to all 15# this year. Maybe I should tell my wife I have to go back to 16# due to muscling. This would be my feabile attempt of an excuse to get more Balls in my aresenal.
Do you think it would work?
PAP 4 7/8" x 0

#76070 - 01/19/09 02:54 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Russ I.]
MJA Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/Ft. Wayne IN
I found this to true in my game also. I was muscling the 15# balls and actually losing revs. 16# has me at a more relaxed swing. My accuracy and revs are up as a result.
15# Crossroad
"all with switch grips"

#76072 - 01/19/09 02:57 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: MJA]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
raggity, your wife married you. She must be gullible. JK, LOL.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#76089 - 01/19/09 06:20 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Dennis Michael]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I have found myself muscling few times here and there but I don't think jumping from my 15 to a 16 is the answer. I can't imagine me using a 16 based on my weight, but then again I have gotten much stronger. But still, don't think the muscling is always based just on the weight. I also have made a stupid mistake by using an old 11# ball for giggles and it has caused me to muscle more. I have stopped lol!

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#76102 - 01/19/09 08:35 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
For healthy adults, their body weight doesn't have much effect on the ball weight they should use. I've seen some small females using 15s and 16s. It's about what you can use comfortably and pain free.
HS:763

#76104 - 01/19/09 08:40 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I agree. I mean I'm a 19 year old guy who only weighs 120 or so. I dislike it but have been told I'm pretty in shape and strong for my size. I have gone to the gym and all that stuff and tried to bulk up. But still, I only see some results. As far as using bowling balls though, I have no trouble with the 15# unless I have let the muscle tire out by not bowling for 2 weeks or so. I think 16 is definitely doable but the question is, do I get a strong enough reaction and contact with what I've got now? The other night a strong bowler who averages 213 was bowling next to me and giving me some advice. He knew his stuff for the most part and though he places pretty straight and in, which I usually don't, he was very good. He complimented my follow through on being natural and said that when I've got my shot together I have an explosive ball. I suppose that being the case, I don't really need to up the weight just yet.

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#76113 - 01/19/09 09:26 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Adam Keene
Unregistered

i wouldn't worry about moving to 16# at all unless 15 starts giving you some kind of problem.

also, on the ball weight subject... i know people who throw dozens of games a week.. a guy who bowl(ed) in 2-3 leagues a night every day and averaged around 90 games a week and neither have any problems with being tired while bowling and they both have a non muscled armswing.

i think you just have to get in 'bowling shape' by bowling enough that your body gets used to it. 6 game / 9 game sets.. maybe even 12 games every so often. we're athletes and we have to improve ourselves to keep in bowling shape just like any other sport..

maybe if you muscle the ball you'll be feeling fatigue easily.. but i've noticed since working on a free armswing kind of like norms that I've been able to bowl in a faster pace without getting tired.

#76118 - 01/19/09 10:13 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: ]
Fgreco Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/Male/Brick, NJ
I was thinking of going to a 15# from a 16# ball. Sometimes I feel like it is hard for me to reach 14.5 MPH. Now I dont know if I should go to the 15# because I am going to buy another ball real soon. I just dont know what weight to get. I think I will go with the 16# since all the balls I own are 16#. What do you guys/gals think?

Arsenal:
Ebonite Mission 2.0 16#
Ebonite V2 Sweet 16#
Ebonite Maxim Spare ball 16#
Colombia 300 Shadow/R 16#

#76119 - 01/19/09 10:24 PM Re: 16# vs 15# comment yesterday [Re: Fgreco]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
I will be posting the full article soon to CMGBB, but in the meantime, here's the summary from the calculations I just did on ball weight vs. rev rate:

Originally Posted By: cmgbb.wordpress.com
What can we take away from this? One thing that stands out is that the difference is not very significant dropping from 16 to 15 gave, at most, a 4% gain, which is not a great deal. Another thing that stands out is that if the RG of the ball goes up as the weight goes down, the gain is much smaller. When the RG dropped, the gain in rev rate was magnified. My conclusion? A higher rev rate is not a great reason to drop in weight.

A note on ball speed. I will look into it eventually, but with a free swing, there should be *no* change in ball speed, with the tiniest caveat. The muscles that control the flexibility of the shoulder will have to go through an adjustment period as they learn to counteract the new weight, which may change speed a bit. After the change has been assimilated, the speed should end up the same as it was before. If it doesn't, you've been muscling.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.