BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75921 - 01/18/09 12:54 PM scores decreasing massively?
chipmunk bowl Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 14/M/UK
i seem to be decreasing scores alot during league play

i usually throw a 180 or 190 game in the first
then i throw between 130 and 150 in second then sometimes go down to below 110 but usually stays around 120 to 130

i have a feeling its making adjustments as i make adjustments to the left when i am going high but then it goes light so i move back and go high again i have a feeling its carry down

anyone got any tips and advice

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#75923 - 01/18/09 01:00 PM Re: scores decreasing massively? [Re: chipmunk bowl]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
It's hard to pinpoint the exact issue, but this is where you learn how to read the lanes. If you move left but the ball's not moving, it could be carrydown or it could be that you're in a part of the lane that reads later. You might also be moving your feet, but not your line, and you're throwing the ball outside the preferred breakpoint. Sometimes when you move your feet, you need to move your target - not necessarily a parallel move, either (i.e., a 2-2 move which is 2 boards left with feet, 2 boards left with target), but maybe even a 2-1, 3-1, 5-2, etc.

#75924 - 01/18/09 01:02 PM Re: scores decreasing massively? [Re: chipmunk bowl]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
It could be, but at those scores, you are missing spares. Leaving spares could be due to carrydown. Missing them is another reason.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#75927 - 01/18/09 01:18 PM Re: scores decreasing massively? [Re: Dennis Michael]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
It could be adjustments, or it could be something physical. In my experience as the series progresses along some people start to throw harder or get lazy with their release, or let a couple bad frames get to them mentally or fatigue sets in. Sometimes as people get warmed up and the games progress they get looser swings and start getting more on the ball, I know I get like this and lately my last game I am feeling in the best form of the night. It could be a combination of several of these.
HS:763

#75954 - 01/18/09 09:18 PM Re: scores decreasing massively? [Re: chipmunk bowl]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
My guess would be that as you get warmed up your ball speed increases faster than the lanes dry out. What happens a lot is during warm ups and the first game, you aren't up to full speed and when you do the ball starts over/under reacting which gets exaggerated as the oil disappears off the lane.

Learn to let the ball swing your arm this will take the muscles warming up out of the equation since they shouldn't be dictating the ball's speed in the first place.

#75967 - 01/18/09 10:28 PM Re: scores decreasing massively? [Re: CoachJim]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
My scores have been going down lately two but I have been trying to pin point the exact issues myself too. I have come to a recent conclusion by researching bowlingknowledge.info that my accuracy gets worse or even starts off less than great and that my mental game gets full of anger, according to the quiz on that site I took, and just gets clouded to the point where my accuracy gets worse. Also my timing and form can get off when that happens too but I've noticed myself missing right or left of my target most often. When I look at my visual target I have noticed my eyes rapidly moving, like buzzing in my head all around the target I am trying to focus on. According to the reading I've done, this is bad lol. I realized this before but couldn't stop it. I started my approach even when this was happening and I wondered why my target was varying. no wonder?

Also, I have started doing mental training. Envisioning calm scenarios and my bowling at its peak even when I'm not at the lanes. This way I will be able to get there and calm my mind at will, hopefully. Like what I imagine Chris Barnes is often seen doing sitting with his eyes closed.

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#76095 - 01/19/09 07:47 PM Re: scores decreasing massively? [Re: Rack Wrecker]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
Trying to stay consistent is one of the top challenges of bowling. Lately I seem to be really good for one game and the rest I fall off the pace. I know a lot of it is physical things I am doing (Dropping my side, not folowing through) but it is caused by a lack of focus. I need to find that right combination of focus along with not over thinking things.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#76103 - 01/19/09 08:36 PM Re: scores decreasing massively? [Re: Scott Gannon]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
another thing to look into is the mental game. If your games go from really strong to rather weak it is most likely at least partly to do with the concentration required to score high the first game and then the mind and body's natural withdraw into a less focused state after such concentration was used. Try mental practicing when you're at home or something. For 10-20 minutes a day almost meditate on your surroundings at the bowling alley. The sounds, the feels, the smells, the proper form you desire, the perfect looking shot, the approach, everything is to be visualized and envisioned as vividly as possible. Try to get your body to that relaxed state where you feel completely calm. This will slow your breathing, blood pressure, and heart rate, which will in turn relax your muscles and body so that you can react as focused as possible all over again. If you watch Chris Barnes while he's sitting waiting for his opponent to bowl, he often has his eyes closed and breathing slowly just trying to keep his concentration at a peak of relaxation.

I strongly recommend reading Slowinski's articles on mental game at bowlingknowledge.info

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

#76155 - 01/20/09 06:58 AM Re: scores decreasing massively? [Re: Rack Wrecker]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
my mental game gets full of anger

Here is the problem! Ask your self this question, "Why are you getting angry?" Write down the answer then and there so you don't forget all of the details as to why, and post it back.

Anger causes your blood pressure to rise, this causes constricting blood flow to the brain which then causes your eyes to try to take in all of the surrounding visuals in case you are getting attacked, (this is the primal reaction to anger).

What causes anger?

1. Frustration
2. Someone else' actions

What causes Frustration:

1. Not knowing what to do in certain situations, like when my ball starts hooking too much or not enough and no matter what I do (because I don't know what to do) nothing seems to resolve the problem.

2. Making the same mistake over and over.

3. Ball slipping/hanging on your hand.

I used to have severe anger/frustration issues before I started taking lessons and reading and learning as much as I can. It helps to just say to yourself, "I don't know what to do" when you do this your brain stops putting pressure on you to maintain your usual scoring standard and focus on solving the problem and at very least your eyes will stop darting around.

Rhythmic deep breathing helps deal with pressure, but not anger or frustration. So before hyperventilating doing breathing exercises try paying attention, practicing, and learning how to make adjustments. Remember Fred Borden's LASER adjustment technique:

All adjustments are achieved by altering:
Loft
Angle
Speed
Equipment
Release

So if you haven't practiced learning all of the above adjustments, then you will be frustrated and angry when the time comes to adjust and not know what to do.

#76203 - 01/20/09 11:34 AM Re: scores decreasing massively? [Re: CoachJim]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
I was just talking to a youth bowler (bowler #1) about anger management yesterday. He has been the best bowler in the youth league for awhile, but gets very angry at the littlest things and is known to bowl very badly at times (I think because of his anger / lack of patience). Currently he averages about 200, but could be much higher, and more importantly he could be more consistent. He also doesn't take his time, so often rushes the shot and will miss, making him more angry. Last week a new bowler joined the youth league, and last night he shot a 300 in his first game, and a 288 in his last game. The new kid had a low 2nd game and was a bit frustrated, but didn't let it get him angry, and recovered well in the 3rd game. Bowler #1 saw this and I think it both made him angry (now he wasn't the best) but also made him realize what I and his dad and others have told him for years is true. He needs to relax, slow down, calm down, and focus.

So last night after we talked about it a bit he took out some white tape and wrote "relax", "breath", and "stay calm" on them, and put them on his shoes. Now when he goes up to bowl he will see his shoes as he is setting up, and hopefully remind him of those things. And hopefully he won't ignore them...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.