BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7592 - 07/05/06 10:49 PM One of those weeks - one of those leagues
BillinPhilly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 50 / M / Malvern, PA
Am not enoying the summer league I joined this year. Lots of stuff going on.

One of our 4 guys disappeared, hasn't shown up for 4 straight weeks. Two of our other guys have been bowling out every week and not doing well. It seems like every player on every team we bowled for the last month bowled 50 or more pins over their average against us every game.

We lost 3 out of 4 games tonight to the dead last place team - who won 5 games to date all year. If not for them, we'd be dead last.

It's only a 5 team league. One of the teams (the one in first) is made up of 3 guys who work at the bowling alley and probably bowl a hundred games a week. And 2 of them are 127 average and 154 average. And these guys bowl 50-70 pins over their average every time. We gave these guys over 100 pins last week, and they beat us by over 100 scratch every game. I know that has happened with at least 2 of the other teams, too. Everybody gives these guys 100 pins or more, and nobody can make it up against them.

Definitely not having fun. And to top it all off, they cut the lane oil way back from what it was in the winter, and now I can't use any of my good balls - they're all too aggressive.

Now I know why no one I asked wanted to bowl a summer league. Since it only has about 7 weeks left, I'll go ahead and finish it out. But I don't think I will ever bowl a summer league again after this.

What a disaster.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#7593 - 07/05/06 11:15 PM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
Jdhaze Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/M/NH
I would agree to be weary of bowling in a summer regular league. Instead, see if they have any sports shot or scratch leagues. People in them seem more dedicated and will show up to bowl. They arent always easy to find though, but you wont have to worry about lack of oil! smile

Hang in there, its almost over!

JD

#7594 - 07/05/06 11:40 PM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
BSchaff Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23/M/Florida
I am doing a summer league too and we've had some drama go on already... other teams are complaining about us weekly for our averages being "too high". For the record it IS the Lousy Bowler League, so I can't really say I didn't expect it. It's almost flattering being considered too good for them with an average at such earth shattering heights as 140, but at the same time it does get annoying. I've very quickly learned to loathe the handicap system, as we've given 200+ pins of handicap in each of the last 2 weeks after averages got established.

We're playing the biggest bunch of whiners out there next Monday, I'm not eagerly anticipating it. We've already heard it from them as myself and my teammate appear together on the high game/series sheets in different spots (mine for handicap game and one of my scratch games, his for scratch game/series). I just find it amazing that people who are getting so much handicap help complain about people with higher averages... shouldn't it be the other way around?

In any event keep your head up Bronco, it's a short season and the **** will be over soon enough.
12/25/05, 11:09 PM... the time I dropped two C-notes on the lanes for the first time.

League goals: 500 series, 150+ average. None down, two to go...

#7595 - 07/06/06 12:12 PM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Kansas
It seems our summer leagues are the same way. The last 3 weeks we're lucky if 3 of the 7 teams show up (and this is doubles!) What the heck happens to all the bowlers? I cut back from 2 leagues to 1 over the summer but I couldn't imagine not bowling a league at all. It's hard enough waiting 7 days to bowl, let alone 3 months!
15# Quantum (Forest Green) - Dry/Wood
15# White Dot - Spares

#7596 - 07/07/06 05:15 PM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
My Friday night league sucks. I joined a new house and was placed with 3 other bowlers with no team. One guy is a great bowler in the 214 average range and always shows up ready. The other guy shows up but has missed a few weeks and the other guy misses many weeks and has come late into the first game 3-4 times. The last guy has some issues he deals with so I try to remember that but as a team we have no flow and as such we are going no where. We get trounced weekly, the fun isn't there and I struggle at times with my focus. The average is on the move though, had a 693 last week and a current 204 average. it should be much better, but I don't really care about Friday nights anymore.

Weds I bowl locally with a strong mixed team. We bowl well together, always show up and if not we have subs. As a team we are in 1st by a point and routinely roll 800+ scratch, we had an 855 2nd game this week in route to taking all 7 points. All cylinders are firing and individually I shot a 679 and moved up a few tenths to 225.76.

The Summer has mixed as you can see but the Weds night experience is worth going through 3 Friday night leagues.....OK not really but it sounded good.
Storm - Natural

#7597 - 07/07/06 10:33 PM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
BillinPhilly Offline
Action Bowler

Wow, they must actually have some oil where you guys are bowling - The One, The Paradigm, etc. Those balls wouldn't stay on the lane where I bowl now.

Oil, yeah, I sort of remember what that is.....I think.

My recent arsenal is: 1) AMF VP2 - Picked it up for a song. Jeez, they're GIVING them away right now. Most aggressive ball I can use on the (lack of) oil they're putting down. And by the 3rd game, this ball is too much. I've gotten alot of use out of this ball, and some real good games, though, so it was more than worth what I spent. 2) Columbia Fear. Bought it on Ebay real cheap. Works great on drier lanes. and 3) Brunswick Target Zone. Even this hooks!

I also bought a Tropical Storm, but haven't had much luck with it. That one doesn't move much at all. I think the Target Zone hooks more. I'm pretty disappointed with that one.

I'd love for them to put some oil out again, I hear they're doing it at other houses....

Waiting in the wings, I have:
- Storm Depth Charge from last season
- Storm X-Factor Ace (Pro CG, newly drilled, not thrown once yet)
- Storm X-Factor Deuce (not Pro Cg, but also newly drilled and not thrown yet)

And I'm thinking of getting a Paradigm. I'm liking these Storm balls.

#7598 - 07/08/06 03:56 AM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
BSchaff Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 23/M/Florida
Silent Mike sorry to hear about your lack of team chemistry... that's why I'm bowling with who I am now. We all know each other and I'm happy with everybody involved so it makes for a much easier experience. I could have recruited a better bowler but people do not like him, so I basically sacrificed some pins for good team chemistry (which, in a handicap league, is not a bad thing). In fact our team consists of 2 dating couples... me and my girl and my other teammate and his. It honestly helps having everything loose and having everyone comfortable with each other. This is my first league experience, but I will definitely take this lesson with me. What this season early has showed me is if you need to sacrifice some pins for great team chemistry, you need to do it... I am glad I learned this lesson now instead of later.

Personally I am all about people who bowl for the team. For example... last week my girl couldn't hit anything in her last game and we ended up losing it. She did not mark the entire game... it was the the worst I have ever seen her bowl and she ended up with a 68. I was more upset with myself that I could not pick her up than I was about her bowling poorly. I ended up with a 143 that game, over my average, but in the end it was not good enough to win. I realize that "it happens" so to speak, but as someone who is depended upon on this team I was far more upset with myself for not picking my teammate up. It's this mentality that I really believe wins leagues, that when you have this sort of camraderie that things get done. We are still 9-3 on the year and looking to improve upon that on this coming Monday.
12/25/05, 11:09 PM... the time I dropped two C-notes on the lanes for the first time.

League goals: 500 series, 150+ average. None down, two to go...

#7599 - 07/08/06 09:04 AM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
sawmill Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: ??/M/AZ
broncobilly, What is a Pro CG?

#7600 - 07/12/06 10:53 PM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
BillinPhilly Offline
Action Bowler

I didn't know my Ace was a pro cg ball when I bought it. I'm really looking forward to trying it - when they lay a little more oil. Anyway...

So called "pro pin" and "pro cg" balls are balls that have either their pin or their center of gravity outside the bounds of where it would be normally found on a regular ball.

I notice they mostly seem to come from Storm and Dyno-Thane, though I'm not saying that other companies don't make them.

Here's some more info:

STORM "PRO PIN" bowling balls are first quality bowling balls with pin distances over 5" from the center of gravity and top weight between 2 and 4 ounces. Through our testing, we have found that these balls lend themselves to a variety of drilling patterns outside the range of pins less than 5" which would require an extra hole to accomplish with standard pin and top weight specificiations. Based on the desired reaction, some Pro Pin drillings may require an extra hole for balance requirements.

STORM "PRO PIN" bowling balls are:

1. All first quality STORM bowling balls

2. Manufactured with the same high quality standards as all other STORM products

3. Manufactured with the highest integrity

4. Made with the same high quality materials as all other STORM products

5. Great for specialized layouts and drilling options

6. Potential for enhancing dynamic use of core position

7. Meet all A.B.C., U.S.B.C. and P.B.A. regulations

STORM's "PRO CG" technology is taking layouts and ball reaction to the extreme. Once only used on the PBA Tour for condition specific drillings, these balls are now being made available in limited quantities to the general bowling public.

Why? As the requests, requirements, and styles of today's bowler changes to address new lane conditions and patterns, STORM is answering by providing and packaging these items separately from the standard first run items due to their unique nature and value.

STORM "PRO CG" bowling balls are:

1. All first quality STORM bowling balls

2. Manufactured with the same high quality standards as all other STORM products

3. Manufactured with the highest integrity

4. Made with the same high quality materials as all other STORM products

5. Great for specialized layouts and drilling options

6. Potential for enhancing dynamic use of core position

7. Meet all A.B.C., U.S.B.C. and P.B.A. regulations

Hope this helps

#7601 - 07/13/06 09:04 PM Re: One of those weeks - one of those leagues
Tyveil Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: Kansas
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Originally posted by broncobilly:
Wow, they must actually have some oil where you guys are bowling - The One, The Paradigm, etc. Those balls wouldn't stay on the lane where I bowl now. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">Bronco,

Our lanes are exactly the opposite. The owner says the oil machine just needs a good cleaning which they are planning on doing this week. The oil has been a pool across the entire length and width of every lane all summer. Bowlers who have monster hooks during the winter have not been able to hook at all this summer. I just bought a Rule GP2 and am having it drilled aggressive to try and find something that will hook on these summer conditions.
15# Quantum (Forest Green) - Dry/Wood
15# White Dot - Spares

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Quitting my League
by Mkirchie - 08/09/20 03:49 PM
This is a damned shame
by Mkirchie - 08/08/20 04:33 PM
Who is itching to get back on the lanes
by Mkirchie - 07/18/20 08:37 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.