BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75566 - 01/14/09 04:04 PM Student #4
Bowldoc4u Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 30/M/U.P.WA

This is another PBA bowler Whatcha think? His name is JAson Rockwell

Corey

Turbo 2-N-1 Regional Staff Member

R.I.P. Scriber

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#75569 - 01/14/09 04:12 PM Re: Student #4 [Re: Bowldoc4u]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Side shot looks like Norm Duke slowed down. When we get to the back view though, we see the muscled swing. Might need a grip check - looks like he's hanging onto the ball, which causes a muscled swing. If not, he needs to work on letting the ball fall freely - when he does that, his feet will probably need to speed up to keep up. Video of Norm could help him get the feel - his general style of movement seems very similar. Is he short?

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#75570 - 01/14/09 04:16 PM Re: Student #4 [Re: cgeorg]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
looks like the initial push away could be moved out a little more towards the target as well. It looks like because of the body having to avoid the ball so much in the 3rd step that it is causing the ball to walk at the top of the backswing away from the body. If you watch the swing plane, the ball changes planes at the top of the swing and then comes down at a completely different angle than the initial rising of the backswing.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#75571 - 01/14/09 05:00 PM Re: Student #4 [Re: sk8shorty01]
spr3wr Offline
USBC Bronze Level Coach

A/S/L: 54/m/MICHIGAN
agree with cgeorg about letting the ball swing free. letting the ball swing free will make his feet go faster.
agree with sk8shrty01 swing plane bounces away from his body and gives him a little chicken wing at the end. keeping his hand behind the ball on the down swing will help.

Edited by spr3wr (01/14/09 05:02 PM)
High series 810
Current ave. 213

#75599 - 01/14/09 11:05 PM Re: Student #4 [Re: spr3wr]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I'm also with CG on this one, he is grabbing the ball and catching it just after the ball is dropped into the swing. I would guess he has to squeeze the thumb to hang onto the ball and his span looks a bit stretched, I would start there.

#75614 - 01/15/09 04:21 AM Re: Student #4 [Re: CoachJim]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
on the back view shots it looked like the swing plane was not straight, maybe i am hallucinating because it is 4am, but it looks to me like mr. rockwell is moving his hand laterally to the right for a second at the top of his back swing, and then putting it back where it was. and i watched that part of the video three times, so hopefully my eyes were right for one of them.
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

#75615 - 01/15/09 06:23 AM Re: Student #4 [Re: NewEnglandBowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
That is an indication of regripping the ball to rip through it, one of my students does the same only worse, and can't seem to stop. I had him stopped just before I got hurt, and when I came back 9 months later he had reverted back.

It comes from a lack of trust that the ball would hook without forcing it. When I got my student to just throw the ball straight, he didn't move the ball like that, when he tried to hook the ball, that's when it started creeping back. I got him to stop by having him throw the ball as straight as he can with his wrist in a strong position and like magic he had an awesome swing and release, but it crept back when he thought his ball wasn't hooking.

Edited by CoachJim (01/15/09 06:26 AM)

#75627 - 01/15/09 08:59 AM Re: Student #4 [Re: CoachJim]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
This is a tough thing to overcome, since it a subconscious control. One shot that doesn't get the desired result will cause the bowler to revert to this method. And, he won't know that it happened.
What you say is a remedy, Jim. Go back to a strong wrist position to correct it. The dilemma is recognizing it when it happens. It generally happens in mid game or match, and that is no time to go through a trial correction.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#75858 - 01/17/09 04:18 PM Re: Student #4 [Re: Dennis Michael]
Fgreco Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 25/Male/Brick, NJ
I used to do the same thing. One my thumb hole was too big and second I wasnt trusting the ball like so many of you say. I think in order to correct it you have to trust the ball. Simple as that. I know it sounds so simple but, in reality it isnt.

Its was more of a mental issue for me.

Arsenal:
Ebonite Mission 2.0 16#
Ebonite V2 Sweet 16#
Ebonite Maxim Spare ball 16#
Colombia 300 Shadow/R 16#

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/22/19 03:14 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.