BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75839 - 01/17/09 11:59 AM My new Virtual Gravity
ChrisBCritter Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 30/M/Maine
I've had my own ball for quite a few years, but this is the first ball I bought on my own, a 16lb Virtual Gravity. After having it drilled (still confused about all the terminology) I found that my old ball wasn't even close to comfortable, and I was really gripping it hard. I've had to change a LOT to try and learn this new ball, but I think the worst thing I read was about the "underhand spiral football" tip.

I think I am twisting my wrist too much, as well as not getting down low enough on my approach. What do you think?

This is my first video, so be nice! smile Thanks[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceMIp7n3n-8#[/video]

16lb Virtual Gravity
14lb The Angle

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#75840 - 01/17/09 12:36 PM Re: My new Virtual Gravity [Re: ChrisBCritter]
jburt21 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/OH/USA
YOur balance looks pretty good so i wouldnt worry about getting lower until later. The only thing is when you throw the same line and the ball comes up high it looks like you are twisting around the ball instead of staying behind it. Try keeping your hand directly behind the ball until the last moment of release then let your fingers drive through it.

Avg: 202
HG: 289
HS: 744

In the bag:

Storm Mainframe
Storm Natural Pearl polished
Storm Lucid
Ebonite Mission 2.0 Polished

#75843 - 01/17/09 12:48 PM Re: My new Virtual Gravity [Re: jburt21]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
That ball really helps you. You hit a width of 7 boards at the arrows. Consistency is not your strength. But, when you swung the ball out, it recovered, and when you pulled it tight, the ball held.

You seem to be prone to early rotation that causes you to pull. Your arm rotation starts in the downswing, which is too early. Loosen the arm and let it freely swing.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#75845 - 01/17/09 12:54 PM Re: My new Virtual Gravity [Re: jburt21]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
You are trying too hard to hook the ball. That coupled with not getting a deep enough knee bend is leading to lofting the ball, and inconsistently at that. The ball isn't going to have a consistent reaction that way. You do need to work on getting down more. It should be a progression throughout the approach and not just on the last step or two. Think more about lowering the hips then bending the knee(borrowed advice from some on this site), and the bend will come. Also try to let the ball just roll of your hand instead of trying to toss it out onto the lane. The underhanded spiral advice doesn't mean twist the wrist as much as loaded(cupped) to unloaded right as the thumb comes out of the ball. It takes a little bit of work.
HS:763

#75854 - 01/17/09 02:42 PM Re: My new Virtual Gravity [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
Ditto on working to be more up the back of the ball and not turning early. The longer you wait to break that habit, the more difficulty you will have. You just have to trust the ball to do what it's designed to do.

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#75870 - 01/17/09 05:41 PM Re: My new Virtual Gravity [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
Originally Posted By: infernocal
You are trying too hard to hook the ball.

You biggest problem is right there. That ball is a hook monster. Let it do the work. Since it seems this ball is a better fit, you'll want to work on learning to get the muscle out of your game. Don't swing the ball - let the ball swing. Don't try to rip through the ball - let it roll off your hand. In bowling, less is more.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#75878 - 01/17/09 09:36 PM Re: My new Virtual Gravity [Re: cgeorg]
Camper4lyfe Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 26/m/Rocheser, NY
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
Originally Posted By: infernocal
You are trying too hard to hook the ball.

You biggest problem is right there. That ball is a hook monster. Let it do the work. Since it seems this ball is a better fit, you'll want to work on learning to get the muscle out of your game. Don't swing the ball - let the ball swing. Don't try to rip through the ball - let it roll off your hand. In bowling, less is more.

And in taking the muscle out of it, the roll and line will become more consistent.

#75879 - 01/17/09 10:12 PM Re: My new Virtual Gravity [Re: ChrisBCritter]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: ChrisBCritter

I think I am twisting my wrist too much, as well as not getting down low enough on my approach. What do you think?

I think you're right, but I'd add that you shouldn't be twisting your wrist at all

As others have said, stop trying to hook the ball. Stop trying to twist your wrist. Just let your arm relax, let the ball swing all on it's own with no help from you what so ever. Do that and then let the ball come off your hand.

#75931 - 01/18/09 02:49 PM Re: My new Virtual Gravity [Re: Lefty]
ChrisBCritter Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 30/M/Maine
WOW! Thanks for all the insight! shocked

I will have to try out all this advice for my next practice session! Staying behind the ball is obviously something I really have to concentrate on! I'll take more video if I have the chance!

Thanks again!

16lb Virtual Gravity
14lb The Angle

#75934 - 01/18/09 05:16 PM Re: My new Virtual Gravity [Re: ChrisBCritter]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Chris, remember, it takes a good deal of practice to do the recommended things we say. Don't get frustrated. Keep trying.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - 02/25/20 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.