BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75604 - 01/15/09 12:13 AM New bowler. First 2 videos.
Methofaroketskick Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 23/F/FL

and....

Just want to see what I'm doing wrong. Hope the videos are good enough quality.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#75605 - 01/15/09 01:06 AM Re: New bowler. First 2 videos. [Re: Methofaroketskick]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
You'll get more in depth answers from the more experienced members but I'll chip in. The first video your swing went across your body causing you to throw the ball into the gutter. Imagine your arm as a pendulum, bringing the ball back straight and forward straight. Once you get this down, your consistency will improve greatly thus cause way less gutter balls.

On the second video I noticed that you pretty much dropped that ball/released the ball early. This could be due to the ball not fitting your hand properly or just user error.

That's about all I can help you with due to the fact that I'm a thumbless bowler and don't follow the basic rules =]. I just stated the obvious things that I noticed. More experienced members will give you better advice within the next day or so. Welcome to the sport of bowling and stick with it. If you put your mind to it you will improve.

Reconbbs

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#75607 - 01/15/09 01:10 AM Re: New bowler. First 2 videos. [Re: Reconbbs]
whiz Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 25/M/OK
Originally Posted By: Reconbbs
The first video your swing went across your body causing you to throw the ball into the gutter. Imagine your arm as a pendulum, bringing the ball back straight and forward straight.

also when you do this try starting with the ball inline with the shoulder....versus right in fron of your chest like you have it in the video thumbsup

#75608 - 01/15/09 01:14 AM Re: New bowler. First 2 videos. [Re: whiz]
Reconbbs Offline
Pro of the Year Contender

A/S/L: 21/Male/York Pennsylvania
haha that would be beneficial whiz. We don't want to cause any injuries...=]

Hammer Black Widow Bite
DV8 Misfit
DV8 Reckless
Visionary AMB Centaur

High Game-300x2
High Series-836

Fall League Averages
Tuesday 234
Thursday 225

#75609 - 01/15/09 01:24 AM Re: New bowler. First 2 videos. [Re: Reconbbs]
larry m Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 39 m bayonne nj usa
YOU NEED TO RELAX AND BE SMOOTH its nothing magical you are just rolling a ball,,relax and have fun

#75617 - 01/15/09 06:45 AM Re: New bowler. First 2 videos. [Re: Methofaroketskick]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You need to hold the ball lower in your stance, just below your chest, and practice for about 100 games and post another video when you can keep the ball on the lane.

#75622 - 01/15/09 07:44 AM Re: New bowler. First 2 videos. [Re: CoachJim]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
small lol @ Jim.

If you don't have a ball that's drilled for you, get one. Try to keep your grip as relaxed as you can without the ball falling off your hand.

Find some resources on a 4 step approach. Start at the foul line, turn around, and walk back 5 normal steps. That's where you should start. The steps should go left, right, left, right. The last one is your slide. Start out with the big toe of your right foot on the board that had the middle dot on it on the approach. Push the ball away when you start your first step, and just let the ball swing from your shoulder. You want your target to be the third arrow on the lanes, from the left. Follow through with your arm towards that target.

Good luck. Someone at the alley (Pro Shop owner, coach) will be able to do way more with you in 10 minutes than any of us could do.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#75623 - 01/15/09 08:27 AM Re: New bowler. First 2 videos. [Re: cgeorg]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with everything that has been stated so far. I would also add that you need to make sure that you follow through after the release, and your follow through should go directly through your target. Its similar to swinging a bat, the motion doesn't stop on contact it continues all the way to your lead shoulder. Just keep practicing and relax. The least amount of muscles you can use, the less of a chance you have of one of them being in the wrong spot.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#75630 - 01/15/09 09:16 AM Re: New bowler. First 2 videos. [Re: sk8shorty01]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Metho, you need a 'hands-on' assist. You need someone right with you to teach you to walk, how many steps, the push off, where the ball should be on each step and the release.

A short session with someone with you will go a long way rather than relying on internet communication.

A couple of years ago, we had a whole bunch of newer bowlers join leagues for the first time. The House found it very helpful to hold group sessions for all to attend. Many found that helpful. See if your House has something similar.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#75637 - 01/15/09 10:10 AM Re: New bowler. First 2 videos. [Re: Dennis Michael]
Adam Keene
Unregistered

Meth, what everyone is saying is true but I'm going to add one thing. Where you are holding your ball, move it down a little and more to the left. As you can see when you drop the ball into the swing it hits you and no matter how good of a bowler that's never going to work. you want your swing to be one fluid motion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.