BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75377 - 01/12/09 11:35 PM Please tell me what more do I need to do?
Bowldoc4u Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 30/M/U.P.WA
So being a shop operator and the general public in my area knowing me, its hard to get an unbiased and truthful answer about my game and how it looks. I am all about honest criticism, so let me know what you guys think. I'm really curious what the other lesson gurus on here think...

Short video of my style

Video of my ball roll more close-up

Thanks

"The Doc"

Corey Gardner

Check out my students in other post..

Edited by Corey (01/12/09 11:49 PM)

Turbo 2-N-1 Regional Staff Member

R.I.P. Scriber

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#75383 - 01/13/09 01:05 AM Re: Please tell me what more do I need to do? [Re: Bowldoc4u]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
What are you, 20, 25 pins better than I am?

First, your feet are finishing too early, before you release the ball. That's why you're popping up at the line.

I know the slow feet/big armswing thing is all the rage right now, but I don't think it's appropriate for you--partly because you have good legs and you're not a big fat guy with back problems, but mainly because you're releasing the ball a foot off the ground. The more speed you're generating with your feet, the easier it will be for you to sit into the release...I think you'd be best off with a Brian Voss-type approach, with your backswing never rising above shoulder level.

Cgeorge will be in later to tell you that you're turning your wrist too soon on the release. smile

#75408 - 01/13/09 07:27 AM Re: Please tell me what more do I need to do? [Re: Bowldoc4u]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I don't see much of anything wrong with your game, at least not over the net, in person I might be able to see more, but you look pretty good to me.

Welcome to the site.

#75410 - 01/13/09 07:31 AM Re: Please tell me what more do I need to do? [Re: untutored]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
It looks to me like your initial pushaway and swing aren't free. You kind of hold the ball up after you push out in the first shot, and the last 2 shots show a lot of muscle in the early part of the armswing. The muscling is messing up your armswing timing, which seems to give you a weird cadence of footwork: 1..2.3..4.5. Should be more like 1..2..3..4.5, or 1..2..3.4.5.

Originally Posted By: untutored
Cgeorge will be in later to tell you that you're turning your wrist too soon on the release. smile

I would kill for his release. Maybe not literally, but... It's nice. Look at his hand in the last shot. Beautiful.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#75413 - 01/13/09 07:55 AM Re: Please tell me what more do I need to do? [Re: untutored]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
Originally Posted By: untutored

First, your feet are finishing too early, before you release the ball. That's why you're popping up at the line.

His timing looks fine. You're supposed to stop sliding before you release the ball. If they were close to the same time, the person would have early timing. A little late is better than a little early.

Corey - The only thing I saw was that your arm and shoulder seem a little stiff. Relaxing them more (and keeping them relaxed) might give you more consistency over a longer period of time.

#75416 - 01/13/09 08:23 AM Re: Please tell me what more do I need to do? [Re: Lefty]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I think there are only two things here that I would look at. They seem to be fine, but you might be able to play and make them even better.

First is your pushaway. The pushaway should have shape to it, its not out then down, it should be more out and down. Think of it like you are taking your bowling ball out and setting it onto a glass table. If you do a drop away, the table breaks. Placing it gently into the swing keeps the table intact. This isn't something that has to be changed, but I think it could help.

Secondly, it looks like your recoil after release is a little forced. Your arm comes back down to parallel to the floor and stops. It also comes down a lot faster than it went up, which means there is some muscle involved. I think if you let it swing a little more free it would benifit your already stable look. A good example is Patrick Allen, as his hand goes forward and backward multiple times. Of course, his is a little overly dramatic but still you get the idea.

Otherwise I think everything looks great. Those are just a few things I would consider, and by no means do they have to be changed. Hope this helps.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#75468 - 01/13/09 04:48 PM Re: Please tell me what more do I need to do? [Re: cgeorg]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
Originally Posted By: cgeorg
I would kill for his release. Maybe not literally, but... It's nice. Look at his hand in the last shot. Beautiful.

Interesting. I was looking at the release at :21, and I thought he'd turned it too early. I bow to your expertise, though.

#75475 - 01/13/09 06:21 PM Re: Please tell me what more do I need to do? [Re: untutored]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
It's hard to see where his fingers are as the ball is coming down, but it looks like his hand is to the right, but the fingers are inside. The next 2 shots are wonderful.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#75511 - 01/14/09 01:28 AM Re: Please tell me what more do I need to do? [Re: cgeorg]
Bowldoc4u Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 30/M/U.P.WA
Wow guys thanks for all the responses. it really opens my eyes to some stuff that I dont hear around my home area. I lost both of my coaches and the locals cant get deep enough in my head to get me to see whats wrong. So thanks again everyone! I will have a new Video soon!

Corey

Turbo 2-N-1 Regional Staff Member

R.I.P. Scriber

#75519 - 01/14/09 06:56 AM Re: Please tell me what more do I need to do? [Re: Bowldoc4u]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Corey, if you have a problem, let me know what you think it is and I will take another look.

The next video try to play different lines, play straight up the 5 board and lets see if you can straighten the ball out and increase your speed.

Also place two pieces of blue bowlers tape, one on the 5 board and one on the 10 board, and see if you can hit both pieces of tape playing different angles, and go around and between and too the left of the tapes to play all three break point zones without moving your feet. This will check your versatility, let me know which of these if any you have trouble with.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - 02/25/20 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.