BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7524 - 06/25/06 05:54 PM Upright Sliding Pins
melcfan Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 49/male/Havant near Portsmouth...
Hi everyone.
The centre in which I bowl has a problem with pins sliding when hit and not falling over.
This effects every bowler of all standards.

Example--a ball enters the pocket, all the pins leave the deck the 6 pin has been knocked over but been replaced by the pin which knocked it over leaving it standing in the 6 pin spot.

[ mainly effects the 4 or 6 pin but can and does effect other pins]

My question to yourselves is--
If the pin is not picked up, it should go back to its original spot-yes. However what should
You do if you do not know its original spot?
If it is picked up then does it become a "new" 6 pin? and stay where it is.

--This happened to me last Thursday.

I delivered my ball across the pocket an upright sliding pin hits and moved the 5 pin backwards slightly and then the sliding pin stayed [ touching the original 5pin] in the 5pin spot and was picked up as such.
The original 5pin was not picked up but knocked down by the pinspotter.
It was decided by the two team captains that the "new" 5pin stays as the 5pin and that the pin which was knocked down by the pin spotter [original 5pin which was nearer to the eight pin spot] should become the 6 pin although this was only a guess as nobody knew which place to put it as the 5 pin spot had now another pin on it.

This is causing arguments between the bowlers as to what should happen about how to respot pins
after all how can you put a pin back on its original spot if there is now another pin on that spot?

Any advice will be grateful.
Thanks from mike in England.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#7525 - 06/25/06 06:30 PM Re: Upright Sliding Pins
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 32/M/MD
I do believe the spin is spotted in its original place. For example, if the 7 pin slides to be an 8 pin, it should be re-spotted as a 7 pin.

#7526 - 06/25/06 08:43 PM Re: Upright Sliding Pins
cheetah Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Seattle, WA/Right-handed
mkee19, I think you only respot a pin at its original spot if it's knocked over by the pinsetter.

So the 5 pin was knocked down by the pinsetter because it was out of rance, but there was a new pin in its place? Maybe you'd respot it direcly behind or in front of the pin that took its place? Tricky.

Tim

#7527 - 06/25/06 10:54 PM Re: Upright Sliding Pins
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

Yea, I'm not 100% sure about this. At the tourny I went to a few weeks ago, my doubles partner threw a great shot. He's left handed so the 4 pin hits the seven pin, and it spins out of spot to the 8 pins spot but never goes down. The official watchin over told the laneman to re-spot a 7 pin.

#7528 - 06/26/06 02:02 AM Re: Upright Sliding Pins
Dick Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: Quarryville, Pa
The rule reads "no change can be made in the position of any pins left standing after a delivery,unless the pinsetter moved or misplaced any pin after the first delivery." (rule 7a) That is fairly clear as far as pins that are left standing. I believe in the case of a pin being moved and then knocked down by the pin setter the pin would be placed in the nearest spot to where it was when it was knocked down not to it's origional spot. As far as a tournament official respotting the 7 pin after it spun to the 8 pin spot, he was wrong. The pin should have been left where it was.

#7529 - 06/26/06 05:28 PM Re: Upright Sliding Pins
mkee19 Offline
Action Bowler

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to remember that one just in case it happens to me.

#7530 - 06/27/06 02:52 PM Re: Upright Sliding Pins
melcfan Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 49/male/Havant near Portsmouth...
Thanks to mkee19, cheeteh, and [censored] Alexander for their replies.
It sounds like I should have been bowling at the 5-8 combination and not the 5-6 which is what the two team captains decided upon.

[censored] has made this whole area must clearer and it will be easier to make a decision when it happens again. To everyone this Thursday evening.

However just one more thing, can anyone say why pins slide upright?
I have bowled in many centres in the UK but have never bowled in a centre where this is a constant problem, it appears to happen to nearly every bowler at least once a game.

All the best to you all.
mike

#7531 - 06/27/06 06:32 PM Re: Upright Sliding Pins
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">However just one more thing, can anyone say why pins slide upright? </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="VERDANA,ARIAL,HELVETICA,TAHOMA">New pins and newer pins have flatter bottoms. Older pins have been *******d around and the bottoms get worn. Flatter bottoms, more difficult to knock down.

Pins are also built within parameters. Here in the US, the USBC (old ABC) demanded these parameters. If the pins are built more bottom heavy (say at the lowest end of the parameter) then they are harder to fall.

Pin decks (where the pins stand) are supposed to be flat and level. But there was be a slight tilt and still be within USBC parameters. This effects pin fall also.

Then you have the oil. Oil gets carried down to the pin decks. Its stripped off there with a chemical. How often and what strength chemical used is up to the center. When the backends/pin decks are dirty pins slide more. This is more then likely the most influence on whether pins slide or fall.

Erin

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.