BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75068 - 01/09/09 06:51 PM My first video, strange mechanics!
VBPbowler Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 20, M , independence, MO
This is a short video I made, was just wanting some constructive criticism. One thing I always get from folks is the muscled swing. I believe I only muscle the upswing which would be caused by virtually no push away . I also take weird steps, its quite strange really. The thing that bothers me the most is the drift, and its not a drift per se, I walk straight until the very last step and then take a big step to the right (with sliding foot), I think it has to do with my weird mechanics and hooking the ball, which might also cause the loop to be there, I feel they're connected. The loopy armswing doesnt really bother me much, I dont think it looks too terrible. I should probably work on a smooth approach and a push away which would eliminate the muscled upswing maybe.

oh yeah, and if you pause the video right as im releasing the ball, I have excellent form then, its about the only thing I have going for me apparently.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#75069 - 01/09/09 07:31 PM Re: My first video, strange mechanics! [Re: VBPbowler]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
A better angle is needed. One from straight behind but where you are seen throughout the whole approach. Not just your feet at the beginning and the last two steps and release. You are muscling the whole shot though. You are trying too hard to hook the ball. You are also loosing leverage at the release by your arm being so far away throughout the whole swing. You also seem to be rushing the line a bit, probably a result of the muscled arm swing.
HS:763

#75070 - 01/09/09 07:37 PM Re: My first video, strange mechanics! [Re: VBPbowler]
untutored Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 35/m/arizona
Originally Posted By: VBPbowler
oh yeah, and if you pause the video right as im releasing the ball, I have excellent form then, its about the only thing I have going for me apparently.

Oh, is that all. smile

It looks to me like your armswing is straight, but your upper body is turned outward so you can get that big angle on your shot--at least the first shot, it looks like that hitch at the end of your backswing is you readjusting to throw straighter. (Otherwise, the ball would probably wind up in the next lane over.) The footwork is a natural consequence of trying to move in one direction while your body is facing in a different direction.

Reminds me of Sean Rash, although he's obviously much smoother about it.

Is there some reason you're lofting the ball so much on your release? I would be concerned with that as much as with your backswing.

#75074 - 01/09/09 08:02 PM Re: My first video, strange mechanics! [Re: untutored]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
I think some of his loft is from not getting down enough with only minimal knee bend and also the effort of trying to hook the ball.
HS:763

#75079 - 01/10/09 12:20 AM Re: My first video, strange mechanics! [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Stormin Norman Fan Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 42 / M / Independence, Mo
Hey VB, I thought that house looked familiar. The Strike-N-Spare logo in the frame is a dead give away. LOL And I didn't even notice the UMKC shirt until I watched the video a second time.

I grew up bowling in that house. Matter of fact, my name should be on the honor scores board at the moment. (shot 300 at an end of league tourney in August. still waiting for my pin too.) I haven't been back there since that tourney, so I've got no idea. (Tom Burcham btw)

I primarily bowl at AMF off of 39th street by Indep. Center, but still bowl over there on occasion. Steve in the Pro Shop there, is the one who has drilled my equipment the last fifteen or so years. I'm not a certified coach, but I'm sure I could give you some valuable insight into the game, considering I've been bowling for 30+ years, averaging between 210 & 225 for the past 15 or so years. If you're out in the Indep Center area on a Thursday night, look me up. I'm the tallest guy in the place and I'm always on the concourse. (lanes 19-32)

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."

- Michael Jordan -

#75125 - 01/10/09 03:21 PM Re: My first video, strange mechanics! [Re: VBPbowler]
VBPbowler Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 20, M , independence, MO
Hey VB, I thought that house looked familiar. The Strike-N-Spare logo in the frame is a dead give away. LOL And I didn't even notice the UMKC shirt until I watched the video a second time.

I grew up bowling in that house. Matter of fact, my name should be on the honor scores board at the moment. (shot 300 at an end of league tourney in August. still waiting for my pin too.) I haven't been back there since that tourney, so I've got no idea. (Tom Burcham btw)

I primarily bowl at AMF off of 39th street by Indep. Center, but still bowl over there on occasion. Steve in the Pro Shop there, is the one who has drilled my equipment the last fifteen or so years. I'm not a certified coach, but I'm sure I could give you some valuable insight into the game, considering I've been bowling for 30+ years, averaging between 210 & 225 for the past 15 or so years. If you're out in the Indep Center area on a Thursday night, look me up. I'm the tallest guy in the place and I'm always on the concourse. (lanes 19-32)

Wow, no way, thats really cool! My uncle is the manager at strike and spare interestingly enough, Joe Gloria. Also, when I first started bowling, my first 5 league seasons were all at AMF independence, which is also where I first achieved a 200 average, its a good house. I dont know how you can go to steve at Strike and spare, he is the biggest douche ive ever seen, most rude Pro Shop owner by far!

#75127 - 01/10/09 03:26 PM Re: My first video, strange mechanics! [Re: VBPbowler]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
If you look at your arm swing, it starts out away from your body, and off to the right, then swings behind you, then back away from you. Try to keep the ball over your right foot in the push away, let it swing straight back behind your head at the top of the back swing, then follow through with your arm under your chin.

Get your swing alignment straight and post another video from the side so I can check your timing and cadence.

#75173 - 01/11/09 12:22 PM Re: My first video, strange mechanics! [Re: CoachJim]
Stormin Norman Fan Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 42 / M / Independence, Mo
LOL, yeah Steve's a little hard to stomach at times. He does have that "better than thou" attitude most of the time. But, he really is a nice guy, once you get to know him. And that's the hard part, getting to know him. He also knows his stuff too. He's been doing it for 20+ years.

Any way, I don't put much stock in looking at videos and trying to fix things, since it only gives you a limited view as to what's going on. I mean, it's not like a Sunday PBA tour crew is filming it from all sides, therefore making it a little difficult to take it all in.

And the next time you see Joe, ask him where my pin is? LOL

"I can accept failure, but I can't accept not trying."

- Michael Jordan -

#75294 - 01/12/09 01:12 PM Re: My first video, strange mechanics! [Re: Stormin Norman Fan]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I think one reason you have the looping arm swing, and also the large step to the right during the slide is due to the fact that your body is so out of alignment that you have no choice but to do that in order to get the ball to your mark. Every person has a "personal number" that is a natural foot to target number. Mine happens to be 13, so I know that staying close to 13 boards from start to finish is what I am looking for. It looks like you are starting somewhere around 39 (inside of left foot) and your target is somewhere around 15 (third arrow). That is a 24 board difference which is quite a bit to much. Most people are between 10-15, so as you can see 24 is way out of alignment based on the norm. I would try to square yourself up a little more. Maybe move your feet to 32 and aim somewhere around 17 and see what happens. I think you need to be roughly in the 15 board area based on your shoulder and hip line. Just a guess, and I could be off but just see how that works for you.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 08/22/19 03:14 PM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 08/15/19 08:37 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Dennis Michael - 08/13/19 07:06 PM
Last Online 10 days ago
by BOSStull - 08/10/19 10:03 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.