BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#75359 - 01/12/09 09:05 PM Re: First Video, All help appreciated [Re: sk8shorty01]
tyler Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 17/M/florida
what i see is that when you are about to deliver the ball you seem to tense up and muscle the ball and as you release you pull up alot... hot that little bit will help

High series - 778

Current Average - 207

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#75476 - 01/13/09 06:33 PM Re: First Video, All help appreciated [Re: JBB817]
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/M/NJ
So I went to practice a bit today and *tried* to get that knee bend in there. You can still see me popping a bit, but I really tried to force myself to stay down. In the video I'm still moving my feet fast, but I did start the day trying to slow down. However my timing with my armswing was completely off at that point and I figured it wasn't worth it to make everything overly complicated todya. So this is just me trying to stay a bit lower at the foul line.

Any comments?

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

Virtual Gravity, Smash Zone, Freeze - Retired

#75497 - 01/13/09 10:59 PM Re: First Video, All help appreciated [Re: JBB817]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Your shoulders are pulling up to level with the floor, keep your right shoulder down so the ball will swing tighter to your body and not pull away from your ankle like it is. You start off in good posture, but as the ball comes down from the top of the back swing, you pull up with your shoulder as the ball approaches the release zone. Reach down and through your target and let the ball swing without pulling it and see if that doesn't help.

#75502 - 01/13/09 11:30 PM Re: First Video, All help appreciated [Re: CoachJim]
Columbee Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 35 / Male / Singapore
I used to have exactly the same problem / problems.

1. Forced Armswing
2. Backswing reaching too far behind your back
3. Releasing away from the ankle.

My advice is to slow down your approach. Standing nearer to the foul line will help. Muscle memory sets in when you stand too far, causing to make bigger steps to reach the foul line. The 3rd and the sliding step is crucial for you to keep low. Here, we called it the "Power Step".

Lanemaster - Terminator Rebellion
HG: 266
HS: 652
Avg : 190

#75521 - 01/14/09 07:11 AM Re: First Video, All help appreciated [Re: Columbee]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
Quote:
My advice is to slow down your approach. Standing nearer to the foul line will help. Muscle memory sets in when you stand too far, causing to make bigger steps to reach the foul line. The 3rd and the sliding step is crucial for you to keep low. Here, we called it the "Power Step".

I do not advise slowing your feet down at all. The speed of your feet is dictated by the timing and speed of your armswing. Slowing the feet down without adjusting the armswing will cause you to slow your swing down to match up and kill your ball speed.

If you slow your feet down you will tend to have even cadence to the foul line and lose the power step as all of the steps will be of even size.

The distance you should stand from the foul line is determined by standing with your heels on the dots behind the foul line and taking 5 steps back toward the setee area, the steps should be normal walking steps for a 5 step delivery take 6 steps. Many of you who try this, will find that you should be starting at or in front of the front set of dots. I can't tell you how many people I see that stand at the back of the approach and take only 4 steps. Your steps should be normal walking steps, not giant galloping steps.

#75528 - 01/14/09 08:52 AM Re: First Video, All help appreciated [Re: CoachJim]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree with you there CoachJim. I start about 3 inches behind the first set of dots (12 feet) and I am using a five step approach. There are a lot of people that bowl in leagues I bowl in that start behind me and they are using a four step. My coach had me use the stepping method from the foul line (walking towards the concourse) and I will say that it works great. I still do it about every few months just to make sure that nothing in my approach has changed in my body structure or walking pattern.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#75583 - 01/14/09 08:33 PM Re: First Video, All help appreciated [Re: sk8shorty01]
JBB817 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 21/M/NJ
Thanks for the further input guys. Definitely gives me something to work with. I'll figure out where to start standing and try to keep that shoulder down next time I go practice.

15lb Cell Pearl
14lb Hy-Road
15lb Slingshot
14lb T-Zone

Virtual Gravity, Smash Zone, Freeze - Retired

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - 03/27/20 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.