BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7519 - 06/22/06 06:02 AM Having a good team...
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
makes all the difference in the world. My Winter league was MISERABLE. 2 people quit for various personal reasons and the one girl who stayed was too busy being a mom and wife to care about bowling. I constantly had to get her to the line and very rarely did I get to enjoy the sport or focus on my shot rather than screaming kids.

Fast foward to the Summer league. I have 3 team mates that come ready to bowl. We seem to pick it up when one of us is off and like last night at times we can pour it on (for a mixed league). As a team we shot 2495 scratch which isn't record breaking but good for a team with only one 200 average bowler. Personally I am having THE best Summer season ever. I've always been a 200-208 bowler but with the new team, a new ball and enough practice to choke a horse I threw my 2nd 700 (724) of the Summer with a 246-222(split in 10th)-256. The 256 game was extra nice because I needed the last 3 in the 10th (6 straight) for the tie and got it. We took over 1st place after coming in with a 3 way tie. I also pushed the average to 222.3 which is uncharted territory for me.

No more joining leagues without setting up a team first. I absolutely enjoy my Weds., this is what I was missing all Winter. I learned a good lesson this Summer about what a good team can do for you.
Storm - Natural

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#7520 - 06/22/06 02:23 PM Re: Having a good team...
luisistaz Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 49/male/Tijuana, Mexico
A good team.... so what's a good team?. Well, in the first place a good team (that's jus my point of view)consists in friends as well as players, if I'm not confortable with my partners, I'm not going to play well. Secondly, a team (specialy if it's a handicap league) has to be balanced for average and handicap. My team is very average heavy, so, every night we end up "giving" our oponents an average of 100 pins diference in handicap, and several teams even up to 250 pins diferance, that meand added preasure for all of us (witch I don't mind myself, but some of my guys do).Still, we are in good shape as a team, simply because we lift each other up.

#7521 - 06/22/06 04:38 PM Re: Having a good team...
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
A good team to me is very basic. Come ready to bowl, don't skip weeks or if you have to then pre/post bowl, don't get behind in $ owed and keep your head in it. I agree it's always best to bowl with friends if at all possible. Since my move to a new state last year I got enough exposure to put together "good" teams or to be asked to part of one already established.

As a contrast I'm only averaging 200 at another house on Fri nights. I joined blindly just to vary my game and got stuck with 3 other people without a team. One guy is an awesome bowler the other 2 well, to be nice they have challenges.

I think scratch leagues will be more to my liking but I enjoy mixed for what they offer. I plan on doing both this Winter and luckily I know all the people I'll be bowling with before hand. No more moving for me lol
Storm - Natural

#7522 - 06/22/06 10:19 PM Re: Having a good team...
Lefont Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 35/M/Atlanta
To me having a good team is

MoRich Awesome Hook - 14#
MoRich Total Shock & Awe - 14#
Brunswick Ultra Zone - 14#
MoRich Sahara - 14#

#7523 - 06/24/06 07:56 PM Re: Having a good team...
BillinPhilly Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 50 / M / Malvern, PA
A good team. Yes. This is the first time in all my years of bowling that I finally have a good team.

I joined a company league last year and at the start, we had two ladies on the team who weren't good bowlers, and we had a vacany (4 person teams) Out of the first 5 weeks, each of the 2 ladies managed to show up once and not in the same night. Then after week 5, the one lady, who was captain, by the way, sent an email and said she quit. She joined another team a few weeks later and told us we couldn't use her blind anymore after leaving us 2 bowlers short, but that's another story. Then right after the first lady quit, the second lady quit, too.

So it was me and the one other guy. We forfeited a few games because the other guy had to miss a couple weeks. Then we added another guy. When these 2 guys joined, one had his own ball, the other didn't. The guy who did have a ball had a very old urethan ball that didn't work well for him. Both were relative beginners, but both quickly improved - especially after they got more modern equipment. One of the guys turned out to be a great bowler by the end of the season, actually won league Most Improved.

We added a fourth guy a few weeks later. We bowled quite a few weeks during this with two bowlers, the weeks we didn't forfeit for only having one guy. We had a few real bad weeks where these guys were adjusting to new bowling balls. And despite all this, we were in the running right up to the end. We finished 3 games out of first. If we'd had this team together from the start, we'd have blown that league away completely.

So we stayed together for the summer, and we're planning on going back next year. I personally can't wait. Yes, its great to finally have a good team. In all my years of bowling, I never had a good team. No friends who bowl. I always got put on the team with the kid learning to bowl who threw every other bal lin the gutter and the old lady who could hardly make it to the end of the approach.

This is really different, and I'm loving it. What a difference. Makes you really enjoy the game more and makes you really want to show up and bowl. I don't know how I made it through some of those other leagues. Well, some I didn't. But yeah, having a good team makes a real difference. Who wants to show up every week with a team that doesn't want to bowl knowing they're going to lose every week and have all kinds of problems, etc? Not me.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by champ - 02/25/20 02:22 PM
This is a damned shame
by champ - 02/24/20 06:12 PM
What to do?
by Mkirchie - 02/01/20 07:45 AM
Plugging balance holes
by Dennis Michael - 01/29/20 01:20 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.