BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74783 - 01/07/09 12:46 PM National Bowling Stadium Championship
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/VT
As usual with the Holidays and a short break from our own leagues, I hadn't looked at pba.com until today at lunch. In looking at the details for the National Bowling Stadium Championship, all of qualifying and match play (and I am assuming the whole tournament) have one lane with the Shark Pattern and opposite lane with the Cheetah pattern.

That's an interesting concept that I think I like. It's at the very least a testament to a pro's versatility.

Who do you think will make the five for the finals? Not necessarily in order

1.) Walter Ray
2.) Mike Scroggins
3.) Norm Duke
4.) Chris Barnes
5.) Steve Jaros
Wild Card - Mika

Storm Hy-Road | Ebonite Mission | Ebonite Complete NV | Plastic

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#74785 - 01/07/09 01:00 PM Re: National Bowling Stadium Championship [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
1) Tommy Jones
2) Norm Duke
3) Parker Bohn III
4) Patrick Allen
5) Bill Oneil

Just a guess, who knows whats going to happen with the two oil patterns. This ought to be interesting though!
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#74789 - 01/07/09 01:17 PM Re: National Bowling Stadium Championship [Re: sk8shorty01]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
I think that with playing on 2 oil patterns you have to pick the guys who are really good at making adjustments or who play well on multiple patterns.

1) WRW
2) Duke
3) Malott
4) Bill O'Neil (dude has been on fire)
5) Mike Scoggins

WRW and Duke are no brainers I think. Malott, O'Neil, and Scroggins just plain bowl well week after week.

#74791 - 01/07/09 01:32 PM Re: National Bowling Stadium Championship [Re: sk8shorty01]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
Dual patterns (one short, the other long) is what you find at the world championships or european championships. It has become a norm for tournaments of that magnitude.

Bowling klub

#74792 - 01/07/09 01:38 PM Re: National Bowling Stadium Championship [Re: General Pounder]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/VT
I was thinking about TJ in the top five too, because he's won on both patterns, but he's been hot and cold this year... He might be a wild card too. I was also thinking PB3, but he struggles on the longer pattern because of his ball speed.

I agree with GP that WRW is a lock. He's in the top four in average on Animal pattern.

O'Neill is definitely been lights out. He's just a little too emotional right now, but once he conquers that... watch out.

One way or the other, great concept for a tournament though. be interesting to hear how the players feel about it.
Storm Hy-Road | Ebonite Mission | Ebonite Complete NV | Plastic

#74802 - 01/07/09 03:06 PM Re: National Bowling Stadium Championship [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
No order

Duke
TJ
Malott
Barnes
Mika

WRWs 2 worst patterns are the Cheetah and the Shark. TJ and Mika have won on every pattern, and I believe Wes has won on both Cheetah and Shark. Duke has actually made the show on the Shark before, and he makes lots of ToCs on long patterns.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#74829 - 01/07/09 10:45 PM Re: National Bowling Stadium Championship [Re: cgeorg]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
I have to agree with cg's picks. I think at least three out of those five will be on the show. Anything can happen of course, but those seem like the obvious choices.

#75046 - 01/09/09 02:28 PM Re: National Bowling Stadium Championship [Re: Jay R.]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
well so far 4 of my 5 made the top 32. Parker was the only one that didn't and he finished 44th overall. Not a very good weekend for him.

Edited by sk8shorty01 (01/09/09 02:28 PM)
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#75105 - 01/10/09 10:48 AM Re: National Bowling Stadium Championship [Re: sk8shorty01]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
3 out of 5, with with the other 2 at 9 and 11. Not bad. Kudos to Walter Ray. From what I've seen on Xtra Frame, the Shark is playable outside at this center and a lot of guys are doing that to stay moderately consistent lane to lane.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#75107 - 01/10/09 12:07 PM Re: National Bowling Stadium Championship [Re: cgeorg]
Smooth Stroker Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 45/M/Long Island
I assumed Walter Ray would make it, but I didn't expect so many straight guys to make match play. Just goes to show you, on the PBA tour today, straighter is greater. I look at guys like Malott, Barnes, Rash, and Oneil, guys who can pack a bunch of revs and speed into a delivery that's between straight and big hook. I figure they're a good bet to make most shows, no matter what pattern they put out there. You aren't supposed to be able to play the shark pattern straight. But guys like Walter Ray, Duke, and Barnes do it all the time.

IQ Tour Fusion
IQ Tour anniversary edition
Lights Out
Natural

USBC level 1 certified coach

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by BOSStull - 34 minutes 15 seconds ago
USBC Rule 12
by BOSStull - 50 minutes 34 seconds ago
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by BOSStull - Today at 10:16 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.