BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74705 - 01/06/09 07:06 PM Effect particle has on hook.
asdfg68plus1 Offline
Junior Coach

A/S/L: 16/M/Florida
I have a question. How much of an affect does a particle coverstock have on hook compared to a solid coverstock?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#74708 - 01/06/09 07:20 PM Re: Effect particle has on hook. [Re: asdfg68plus1]
Jay R. Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 21/M/Tacoma, WA
I believe particle is really an additive, not a coverstock. Particles are added to either solid and/or pearl coverstocks. There's Solid Particle, Pearl Particle, and even Solid/Pearl Particle covertocks. Particle adds more traction and is said to smooth out over/under reactions.

#74709 - 01/06/09 07:23 PM Re: Effect particle has on hook. [Re: asdfg68plus1]
J_w73 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Northern CA
depending on the particle cover a particle ball will generally hook more IN the oil. It will also hook earlier compared to a similarly drilled (/core) non particle ball. Generally you need ALOT of oil(or speed) for a particle cover to work the way it should. I usually use a sanded particle cover when nothing else will move for me.
I think particles got a bad wrap when the bulk of them came out because they were used on too dry of conditions. When used for what they are intended they are a great asset to have. Just on a typical house shot there isnt enough oil to get the ball down the lane. If you are playing on soup that is when you want a particle ball. It is not recommended but I used a polished Goliath particle from brunswick for my first ball out of my bag for a while. Tossed it in the lusterking.. After the polish wore off a little this ball was a monster.. would get down the lane and make a huge turn on the back end.. this was drilled at leverage too... I got rid of it because I bought some other so called heavy oil balls.. I'm so sorry I got rid of it that I am looking for another one to drill up..

I think the ultimate particle ball for heavy heavy oil is the AMB Blue Centaur Particle drilled with a 4 1/2 to 6 inch pin to pap(depending on rev rate). All the ball wants to do is hook.

Edited by J_w73 (01/06/09 07:35 PM)

Book Average 220

#74739 - 01/07/09 01:55 AM Re: Effect particle has on hook. [Re: J_w73]
Rack Wrecker Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 19/M/Cleveland, Ohio
I have a low load particle ball, the Ebonite Predator, and I believe it is sanded. However, some sites say that the ball comes sanded and others say that the only one made was the Red Sparkle. Ebonite's own site seems to say that there was a sanded. The big difference from what I noticed was the color of the logo. The reason why is because even though the sparkle is obviously more polished, and possibly a pearl, the previous owner of the ball liked to buff the finish off of all her balls. That would take the surface similar to the sanded if I'm not mistaken, I would just look at the logo color being that the sparkle was yellow while the sanded was white, but over time, the ball no longer has a color on the engraved logo. So I'm stumped. it reacts pretty well if it were once a pearl but at the same time being low load particle, it still tends to hold line for a bit longer than most particle balls. Still, the backend can be jumpy when used on my THS just because it likes to cut into the pocket a bit deeper sometimes.

The particle will indeed make a difference in hook. but if the lanes are too dry, which lately most house shots I've been shooting have been, the ball just either cuts too much on the backend or rolls out due to not finding enough oil in the heads. Particles stopped being such a large issue in the coverstock I believe because more ball manufacturers were able to create powerful hooks without the additive, which in most cases, I think was silica, but don't quote me on it. Seeing as how so many house shots just weren't very friendly to particles, the market for them mostly died out and high oil balls took over. Some companies, like lane #1 still make a decent number of them if I'm not mistaken, but most companies seemed to have shied away from them lately.

I'm an English major, "if my doctor told me I had only 6 minutes to live I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster."

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Informal poll
by 82Boat69 - Today at 10:11 AM
Hype Versus Reality
by Dennis Michael - Today at 08:50 AM
Fall/Winter Leagues 2017-18 thread
by Richie V. - Yesterday at 10:29 PM
Made it.
by RGR - 02/18/18 07:56 AM
Ball choice and strategy for Wolf pattern
by champ - 02/17/18 10:15 PM
My Senior League wants to change Houses
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 05:21 AM
tennis elbow
by BOSStull - 02/17/18 03:58 AM
12 pound ball?
by W9JAB - 02/15/18 02:52 PM
Storm/Roto Grip MatchMaker Live
by BOSStull - 02/11/18 07:19 AM
Brunswick "The Grizz" Vintage Urethane ball
by nord - 02/11/18 04:20 AM
Hammer Purple Pearl Urethane
by nord - 02/10/18 03:24 PM
Honor Scores Not Received By USBC
by Mkirchie - 02/10/18 10:54 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2018 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.