BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#74158 - 12/31/08 10:41 AM First night of League
Ty Percy Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 38/M/Vancouver, WA--USA
As some of you know, I am just getting back into the sport after about 7-8 years off. Last night was our first night of league bowling. I have probably bowled 10 games in the past couple of weeks trying to get ready and boy am I out of shape! So, last night I wasn't sure what to expect, as I hadn't ever bowled at this particular center before. 7-8 years ago, I was a 185 Average pretty consistently. My goal for this year is to work on my form and release to try to improve consistency. Last night I shot 191-180-199 for a 570. (190 AVG) I was pretty happy with that and am looking forward to the next 16 weeks! Also, it is a really fun league. They know how to have a good time! Everyone was super friendly and made us feel welcome.

HG:267
HS:684
Hammer Vibe 15#
Danger Zone 15#

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#74188 - 12/31/08 04:17 PM Re: First night of League [Re: ]
Ty Percy Offline
Bantam

I agree! I love to bowl, so that is why I am back in the sport. I am bowling with 7 other people from my work, and we all have a lot of fun together. I'm taking my 9 year old son to get his own ball on Friday. I haven't pushed him at all, but he really likes bowling and wants to go with me every chance he gets.

Hammer Vibe 15#
Danger Zone 15#

#74305 - 01/02/09 10:31 AM Re: First night of League [Re: Ty Percy]
eastwest Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: No. VA
Ty, that's great you're back to enjoying bowling and your son is interested too. That's a SOLID series you put together, so keep up the good work. Cheers.
------------
R.I.P. DC ABT Chapter >:-|
------------
My 6th-Round.com MMA news and opinion site

#74316 - 01/02/09 11:46 AM Re: First night of League [Re: eastwest]
Brandon510 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 28/Male/California/Philippines
Ty, Nice Going. That pretty consistent scores there. Welcome back to the sport.
BowlSk: Stats

#74712 - 01/06/09 08:07 PM Re: First night of League [Re: Brandon510]
Ty Percy Offline
Bantam

Well, tonight will be my second night of league play. I'm looking forward to it. On another note, my 9 year old son and I are starting an adult/child league on Saturday! He is SOOO excited, as am I. I went with him last Friday to get his ball drilled and bowled three games. He shot a 267 with bumpers, and I shot a 653 without grin Of course I was only bowling on a single lane. The good news is that between all three games, I only had 2 open frames. (yep, lots of spares)

Hammer Vibe 15#
Danger Zone 15#

#74714 - 01/06/09 08:39 PM Re: First night of League [Re: Ty Percy]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
Spares are where the scores are. Thats the difference between 190-210 average. Its not the strikes in most cases, spares improve you game so much.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#74717 - 01/06/09 08:57 PM Re: First night of League [Re: sk8shorty01]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
There is a saying, strike for show spare for dough. You can strike 9 times in one game, open the other frames and still not break 200, I know this for a fact as I did this once. Spares can also keep you in the game if you aren't striking. Keep up the spare shooting and good luck in your league tonight and in the league with your son.
HS:763

#74738 - 01/07/09 01:45 AM Re: First night of League [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
My lowest game was 205 with 9 strikes. I remember, because it was around Thanksgiving, and I posted it here.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#74742 - 01/07/09 02:06 AM Re: First night of League [Re: Dennis Michael]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
Spares are where the scores are. Thats the difference between 190-210 average. Its not the strikes in most cases, spares improve you game so much.

If you are avearging over 200 spares should be a given. At that point its not spares anymore, its repeating shots and putting strikes together. A solid spare system will get you to 200, but not much over. You at that point need to learn how to adjust entry angle and repeat shots. Spares will not help anymore,they are a given at that point.

You WILL NOT get to 210 on spares. BUT! spares are automatic at that point. So you cannot get to 210+ unless you have a very solid spare system.

I've had series in the 580s with two opens and I've had series over 750 with two opens. The difference is putting strikes together. But spares are still automatic.

But in order to get to that point you need a lot of practice and your game needs to be very keen. It'll come with practice and effort.

Erin

#75150 - 01/10/09 09:57 PM Re: First night of League [Re: Atochabsh]
Ty Percy Offline
Bantam

Well, my Tuesday night league was a bit of a disaster, but it was a good learning opportunity for strange oil patterns.

The good news is that today my 9 year old son and I started our league together and had an absolute blast! Our team mates were great and I think this will really be a great opportunity for us to spend quality time together.

You can see a couple of pictures of our day here:

http://www.percyspacificnorthwet.blogspot.com/

Hammer Vibe 15#
Danger Zone 15#

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
2019 USBC Open Championship's Las Vegas
by wronghander - 05/23/19 02:15 AM
2019 Summer Leagues
by Dennis Michael - 05/17/19 09:17 PM
Fall/Winter 2018-19 Leagues Thread
by Dennis Michael - 05/13/19 02:12 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.