BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73549 - 12/22/08 02:27 PM Handicapping
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/VT
Just received an email from our Association Manager regarding the preparation for our local Association Tournament. Last year, we used 100% of 210, in a house that only has 8-10 200+ average bowlers. This year, the number of 200+ is roughly the same, but the proposal is that we should go to 100% of 220.

My concern is that this will drive away scratch bowlers because of what they consider insurmountable odds.

Can anyone tell me their experiences with this? I remember when every tournament was 100% of 200...
Storm Hy-Road | Ebonite Mission | Ebonite Complete NV | Plastic

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#73550 - 12/22/08 02:36 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Usually, handicap is based on the highest average bowler. 100% of the difference levels the playing field. Everyone has the same chance.

But, you are right. The higher average bowlers enjoy the advantage of a lower base or a lower %. This might discourage them. But, attract many more lower bowlers.

My Coach has finished top scratch score in each of the last 3 Association tournaments, but has never finished in the top 10 when handicap has been added.
He still comes back.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#73558 - 12/22/08 05:09 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: Dennis Michael]
jsigone Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 28/m/San Diego, CA
100% of 220 is HARD for a scratch bowler to beat.....most handicap tournys here are 90% of 210-220. That few pins give us some type of hope.

Storm Dimension 4" PAP 2000grit
Track Kinetic 4 3/4" PAP x 4" 600grit
Old Plastic Rhino

#73563 - 12/22/08 08:10 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: jsigone]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
My concern is that this will drive away scratch bowlers because of what they consider insurmountable odds.

I wouldnt' have bowled the previous year either. There's something wrong when everyone has to be made equal, without putting in equal amount of effort. Those that work harder at this sport, get coaching, knowledge, practice,information etc......have earned what little advantage 75%-90% handicap might give them. Even so, we still have WAaAAaaayyyyyy too many sandbaggers for me to bowl any association tournaments that are not divided up into divisions.

Maybe your association could consider a scratch city tournament that's in divisions and/or [censored]. Then the ladies won't have to compete with the men, the 140 average bowler wouldn't have to compete against a 180 or 200 average bowler.

Erin

#73572 - 12/22/08 10:05 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: Atochabsh]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

"There's something wrong when everyone has to be made equal, without putting in equal amount of effort."

This I agree with completely. It's frustrating when you invest time and money into studying the game, getting coaching and buying equipment to compete. The problem with our association is that it's small and multiple divisions just isn't possible.

The concept was brought up by a team that is in the cellar, only won 3 matches all year and just got beat a couple weeks ago by a team that tied the house record. I tried to explain that the reason that they lost wasn't due to the handicap, but rather that two of the guys had 700 (one of them 781). I also explained that their loss only proved my point. One of the women on the team, who averages 165-170, shot 660 on the night with a 266 her first game. Now, she earned it. She's worked on her game and quite frankly just had one of those nights because normally she's low to mid 500's, but when you have a 170 average bowler shooting 660, even if your scratch bowlers are -10, you aren't going to win...

#73580 - 12/23/08 01:45 AM Re: Handicapping [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
bryhardt Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 35/M/St. Louis
This article was originally in the Bowlers Journal about this subject.

http://www.mnbowling.com/openframenotevrybodycanbeawinner.shtml

#73584 - 12/23/08 06:03 AM Re: Handicapping [Re: bryhardt]
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

Thanks Bryhardt, I went looking for that article and couldn't the edition that it was originally printed in.

One clarification too. Earlier I stated that the team in the cellar didn't lose because of handicap and that reads wrong, the handicap was there with the woman that shot 266 and when you factor in her handicap she was well over 300. And that's not something that I would complain about. She threw a great game and a great set.

But they didn't lose the game or all the matches that they have lost this year because they don't have enough handicap, because trust me, when you bowl these cats and your giving up almost 250 pins per game, they have plenty. They lost because they are simply out bowled by other teams.

Unfortunately as I mentioned, we're a small association so a Senior League just wouldn't get the turnout to start up. But I also don't think that starting the mentality of bumping the handicap solves that either. More handicap doesn't make you a better bowler.

#73606 - 12/23/08 01:51 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Many of our local tournaments see the same group of people cashing every time. They come in with mediocre averages and always shoot better in tournaments. Its difficult to rerate someone but we do it. It takes gathering years of information. Even so, some still fly under the radar. Mostly now we are seeing people switching hands so they have a lower average. Then they go to a tournament where the tournament manager wouldn't necessrily know what hand they normally bowl with and then they bowl lights out. Or the rerated ones are now bunching up with lower average bowlers for team events, like 120 average bowlers. Then in tournaments those 120 average bowlers shoot 160s. That's flying under the radar.

Give these people 100% handicap too? You got to be crazy. I think if we went back to something like 66 1/3% like it used to be that would not give the sandbaggers that much advantage.

Erin

Edited by Atochabsh (12/23/08 01:52 PM)

#73607 - 12/23/08 02:21 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: Atochabsh]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
Problem is that going to 66 1/3% handicap kills the bowlers who are there for fun and not sandbaggers.

#73608 - 12/23/08 02:22 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: Atochabsh]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
Originally Posted By: Atochabsh
Mostly now we are seeing people switching hands so they have a lower average. Then they go to a tournament where the tournament manager wouldn't necessrily know what hand they normally bowl with and then they bowl lights out.

Anybody who does this deserves to have their kneecaps busted, and then get Monsoned. mad I can't overstate how much this kind of stuff ticks me off.

Great article, BTW. Thanks for posting that, it gave me some hope!

GP-

I understand what you're saying, but if those "for fun" bowlers are really there just for fun then it shouldn't matter what the system is. I'm sure there are alot of bowlers who roll in league and tourneys for the social aspect and purely for enjoyment, but there are also alot who say that as a front for their 'bagging. If you want to be there for something more than a good time and be competitive, then GET BETTER. Don't just play with the house odds until they're in your favor.

Edited by Chubbs (12/23/08 02:28 PM)

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by Mkirchie - 4 minutes 16 seconds ago
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.