BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72857 - 12/13/08 10:15 PM PBA money still very poor...
skybolt900 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 25/M/Detroit
I did some calculations with Walter Ray Williams Junior. He has made a little over $4 million in his 28-29 year career. After estimated expenses and taxes, he has averaged just over $62,000 per year. Now that does not include his endorsements, but they are not much.

Is it worth only $62,000 a year? And that is Walter Ray! How many guys actually give up because there is such little money, and is it worth it?

I also went to the PGA.com and the golfer in 100th place on the PGA tour was around $400,000 for the year! On the Nationwide Tour, formerly the Nike Tour, last place was a little over $100,000.

Maria Sharapova in Tennis has made over $10 million in her short career. Anrika Sorenstam has made $25 million in her 15 year golf carer.

How many guys in your league average 230 and could go pro but don't because they make $50,000 at their job and never have to leave home?

I really resent guys like Randy Pederson putting down the league player when the majority of people in my league made more than the PBA guys did last year!

Thoughts?

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#72872 - 12/13/08 11:43 PM Re: PBA money still very poor... [Re: skybolt900]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
That and with the PBA, they once guaranteed when they took over in 2001 that the champion of each non-major event would win $40,000. That would continue to 2 years into the all-exempt tour (2004-06).

But as of the 2006-07 season, that dropped significantly to a mere $25,000 to the champion in standard events, and even two of the 4 majors dropped below $100,000, when the TOC went to a mere $60,000 to the winner (down from $100,000) and a two-year tour exemption, and the World Championship went to $50,000 to the winner and a measly two-year tour exemption (down from a record $120,000 from the 2001-02 thru the 04-05 seasons, and a 5 year tour exemption).

The U.S. Open and the USBC masters remain at $100,000 to the winner a piece.

I once had the dream of being a PBA member and perhaps a champion like my idol, Brian Voss. But lack of a bowling center here in the area (I now have to travel 40 miles into Silverdale just to bowl league) and also a lack of discipline whar it comes to shotmaking shot those dreams altogether.

The poor prize money and laughable funds are two more reasons why only less than 1 million fans watch it on TV ever Sunday (me and Alice being two of them) as opposed to the NFL, NASCAR, PGA, and the NBA that "Big Four Networks" show all the time.

We bowlers are underpaid and naturally under-respected when it comes to us being athletes, in which we are.

How many miles can Tiger Woods walk (and with a bum knee like he has now) with a 16-pound ball in his hand!!!
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#72875 - 12/14/08 12:06 AM Re: PBA money still very poor... [Re: BIGHMW]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Quote:
How many guys in your league average 230 and could go pro but don't because they make $50,000 at their job and never have to leave home?

I don't have any in my current leagues. But I know of quite a few that have never gone on tour for this reason. They have families, they have a job, they make a living. Bowling cannot support them and their families.

Erin

#72926 - 12/14/08 11:37 AM Re: PBA money still very poor... [Re: Atochabsh]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Yeah, as much respect for the greatest players in the world, I think I'll just keep my amateur status and forgo my once dreams of going on the Tour altogether as far as myself and my game are concerned.

The only reason I still watch the guys (and gals) on TV every Sunday is because I have been a loyal viewer since 1988, and occasional viewer since the mid-70s, myself (at 7 years old) having watched Jim Stefanich bowl his memorable 300 back in 1974 back when I was a kid made me want to do the same out on the lanes (although I still haven't).

Back in 1989-90, I first hooked up with the Love Of My Life for the past 20 years (as of this April 2009), Alice Yantz, and debuted in league then soon after. We bowled at Key City lanes here in Port Townsend until they closed it down just 10 years ago.

Today, we are currently bowling in the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard (PSNS) Red/White League at All Star Lanes in Silverdale, just a 40-mile drive from Port Townsend, and we (our team, a.k.a. "Mr. T's Titans") have already advanced to the Championship Round (to be held at the end of the season) by winning the Position Round match three weeks ago. Yes, Alice got me into bowling, and that is what continues to hold us together, although it is only a small part of our lives together.

Also to bring something up, Randy Pedersen has no business criticizing the league player for choosing to stay at home and forgo the tour. Most of us can't afford the PBA entry fee, and certainly they (as well as I) think that in this economic crisis that between the gas/hotel/other costs it costs more to go on tour than it is worth and many of us think it is not worth it.

At least in league, I don't have to put up with garbage like "dress codes", and legal/illegal equipment/shoes/apparel, etc. We just go out there and either have fun, or go out there to win.

www.BIGHMW.com

#72932 - 12/14/08 12:33 PM Re: PBA money still very poor... [Re: BIGHMW]
skybolt900 Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 25/M/Detroit
BIGHMW, agreed! I can drive 15 minutes across town (Nashville is not that big!) and pay $50-$80 to bowl a scratch tournament and have a shot at winning $1000-$2000. Granted it is a THS or one of the Kegel Patterns, but it still carries some weight. We have a guy here, Tracy Lamberth who is a great player. He used to be on the National Tour and he has 3 Regional Titles. I think he enjoys being at home and bowling within 250 miles of home making the same money with little investment.

#73173 - 12/16/08 06:05 PM Re: PBA money still very poor... [Re: skybolt900]
eastwest Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: No. VA
We have to also keep in mind these pros make money from sponsorships, clinics, their own businesses, and sometimes a spouse's extra income. Add all that on top of a semi-successful tour season and you're doing just fine.

That being said, it's a scary thought to leave a well-paying job with weekend tournaments and dive into pro-status full-time. Bowling's just not taken as a seriously by as many people as golf, football, etc. is. This means less sponsorship dough, and this there isn't as much prize money. I'm sure badminton players and the like, have the same concerns and complaints we're discussing here.

I aspire to be a great local bowler, enjoy my wonderful daytime career, and make some good money without the stresses of the tour. I'll of course still watch every event, root hard as heck, and spread the gospel of bowling every day smile
------------
R.I.P. DC ABT Chapter >:-|
------------
My 6th-Round.com MMA news and opinion site

#73178 - 12/16/08 06:22 PM Re: PBA money still very poor... [Re: eastwest]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

I agree with the last part of that reply, we still enjoy watching and respecting our heroes on TV every Sunday, that while still holding down a good job and a life, including league about once (or how many times you bowl) a week.

It does sound kinda scary to leave your job and join the Tour and have to live out of a suitcase, fearing that either your marriage might fail (even my idol Brian Voss's former marriage to his ex Anderia failed), or that you might have to file for bankruptcy, or have to quit the Tour altogether due to not being able to afford it anymore.

It's just like playing the big hook ball out near the channel, or being a one-dimensional power player, I think Bo Burton had the best quote about it:

"high risk, high reward".

Why go across the country through a standard tour stop competing for a measly $25,000 first place check when you can make that much working at home and still enjoy the great sport that bowling is on a weekend tournament on more of a local basis.

www.BIGHMW.com

#73567 - 12/22/08 08:57 PM Re: PBA money still very poor... [Re: ]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Ball companies don't get free promotion on television. They have to pay the PBA for their equipment to be allowed to be used in the PBA tournaments. This goes for shoes, grips and anything else used in the tourneys.
HS:763

#73570 - 12/22/08 09:28 PM Re: PBA money still very poor... [Re: ]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
All I was responding to was it is not free promotion, they pay a fee. They should be making more than the bowlers they employ as staffers, if not something would seriously be wrong.
HS:763

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.