BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73816 - 12/27/08 09:35 AM Re: Handicapping [Re: dante21]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY

http://www.lhlanes.com/events2/standings/SBB_standings.htm

That tournament uses 70% of 210 and draws a huge amount of bowlers. They also bowl on a pretty flat shot and the best bowlers always end up making the cut and cashing. It is a handicap tournament and the entry fee is only $50 so it draws a lot of bowlers. There were 1083 not counting re-entries.

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#73828 - 12/27/08 03:21 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: dante21]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
A lot of people do not want to work to get better. They are too busy or just don't have the drive and desire. They want handicap to even the field for them, when in most cases they could improve themselves with some effort. Many sub 150 bowlers are so intimidated by those over 200 that they don't even think they could ever get competative enough. This is why I think divisions are a good idea, and if you improve you can move up in division.

Erin

#73830 - 12/27/08 05:13 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: Atochabsh]
dante21 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 26/m/IN
Oh, I completely agree divisions are a great idea. If properly implemented with no people trying to sandbag. Back when I was in high school my sophomore year Indiana went to a class system for state tournaments instead of every school in the same tourney. Coming from a small school with a record (yes it was a record) 61 seniors this allowed us not have to play huge schools such as Michigan City and Indianapolis. However when we got to semi-state in basketball and baseball we ran into the same Catholic school who by ISHAA loopholes was allowed to recruit kids, but stayed small enough to compete at the lowest level. They won state 2 out of the 3 years back then, and the same thing happens with divisions and sandbagging.

Current Avg. 165
High Game 221
High Series 585

#76550 - 01/22/09 11:44 AM Re: Handicapping [Re: dante21]
superchick Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 43/ female/Texas
I bowled for the first time last week as a sub in a league. My first game was 161, 2nd was 148 and 3rd 215. Now the third game my adrenaline was flowing and the team captain told me to pull back, if i wanted to. Now I asked him WHY should I pull back, he said "you are setting an average and you dont want to set it high". Now afterwards we won all 4 games and it was due to handicaps. The team I was on was a last place team of 32 teams and we bowled against a 4th place team. They said they hadnt won a game in weeks. They asked me for my phone number and invited me to come back. Now heres my point, I hadnt bowled in 15 yrs until may of 2008. When I stopped bowling on a league in the 80's my book average was 189. There was sandbaggin then but it was only mainly at the beginning of the season when someone was setting an average and once u did that you went on and bowled your behind off also there was no prize money involved just trophies. After a 25 yr hiatus from league bowling, I come back to find it to be totally different. I have NEVER been encouraged to bowl badly or miss spares. The prize monies arent enough for me to split 6000.00 between 5 members, uncle sam and the cost of bowling weekly to make me not try to do my best. I dont care about being on the last placed team because I am truly one that enjoys the sport. I am not competitive against other people at all by I compete against myself. I truly enjoyed bowling for the first time in over 20 yrs on a league the other night but if it is that darn competitive I might rethink it. I am a very good spare bowler. I pick up 98% of my spares. I dont throw a big curve but I am extremely accurate sparer and that is why I was seeked by most teams back in the 80's. I will ALWAYS compete against myself and try to be the best but I could care less about trying to compete against anyone else. So this handicap and sandbagging stuff has ruined the sport.

Storm Virtual Gravity 14 lbs
Storm Virtual Energy 14 lbs
Storm Second Dimension 15 lbs
Storm Street Rod Solid 14 lbs
Scout Reactor 14 lbs
Brunswick Plastic 14 lbs

#76566 - 01/22/09 12:27 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: superchick]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
It should be easy for you to find another team that shares your values. I would not bowl for that team again.

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#76572 - 01/22/09 12:48 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
I find it comical when this is done. People rely on the almighty HANDICAP to win games. If you look at most handicap leagues, the higher scratch average team usually wins.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#76604 - 01/22/09 03:46 PM Re: Handicapping [Re: Dennis Michael]
sk8shorty01 Offline
Virtual League Champion x2

A/S/L: 30/M/Merritt Island, FL
I agree. I never sandbag to try and get a low average, not even week one. Here is an example, in the summer league that just passed I started the year off 690-732-702, and I had a 234 average or something like that. Now there was no way I was going to keep it there but it was worth every bit of it to start off like that. I would never consider doing anything differently and if I were you I would look for a different team and bowl with people that are their to bowl well and have fun.
IAB Staff Member

PBA Member
USBC Level 1 Certified Coach
Head Coach - Cocoa High School

Career 300 games - 5
Career 800 series - 6
High Scratch Series - 823

#77444 - 01/28/09 02:49 AM Re: Handicapping [Re: sk8shorty01]
wuphat Offline
Bumper Bowler

A/S/L: 34/M/NJ
I bowl with my duaghter in a non-sanctioned Adult Child league.

We have 3 sessions per year and we ended the fall session with my avg at 179 and hers at 120. Well, we are 9 games into the new session and I'm at 190 and she is at 135. She's 12 and I've been very adament about teaching her the right way to bowl, and I don't mean the physical aspect. We don't sandbag, we don't throw away shots. She knows more about lane courtesy than most adults. The handicap is 90% of the difference of the two teams. We take our lumps when it comes to handicap, often losing by less than 20 pins even when we are over avg. It happens. I wish there were a better way, but we press on, and I use those loses as a training tool to show her where a missed spare could make the difference in a game.

In fact, this past week we missed out on 63 pins because of 6 missed single pin spares between us in one game alone. I showed this to her and the next game she didn't miss a single single pin spare.

Wow, didn't mean to go off on a tangent like that. Stream of consious much?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.