BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#73065 - 12/15/08 11:06 PM ESPN thread: Someone shut Chris Berman's mouth!!!
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 48/M/Port Townsend, WA
Do you get as ticked off as I do at Chris Berman's cheap shots at bowling in general (and certain players sceduled to be on the show) during Sunday NFL Countdown, after "Gamebreakers" when they show what's coming up next (involving the PBA) and his making fun of not only us as bowlers, but also at our great sport in which I am very proud to be an athlete and a competitor in?

Someone should make Chris "he could....go....all....the....way" Berman watch an entire PBA Tour telecast after Countdown and see how good we actually are, as not only players, but as athletes as well.

Maybe after watching us show our stuff, Boomer will think twice before he lays another cheap pop at us (i.e.: calling us "keglers" in a demeaning-type of way, and saying in fun that "he could make a 7-10 split", etc.), and then let's see how good Boomer himself is on the lanes.

I know someone who would be a great candidate to keep him honest.... Super Bowl XL champion, Jerome "The Bus" Bettis!!! He has a sanctioned 300 game under his belt and also knows how tough it is to bowl a perfecto at that as well as what our heroes go through every week on the road.
Where the fans come FIRST!!!

www.BIGHMW.com

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#73066 - 12/15/08 11:23 PM Re: ESPN thread: Someone shut Chris Berman's mouth!!! [Re: BIGHMW]
Brian Longo Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37/M/Jacksonville, NC
Umm...I think you're taking things a little too harsh, really. Personally, I don't think he's being a j erk when he says "keglers" - hell, at least he knows the term. Ask some of your fellow league bowlers if they know what a "kegler" is. I doubt many, if only a few, might know the reference.

As for what he says about picking up the 7-10 or anything else, I think you're just taking things way too seriously there. I don't have a problem with his "lighthearted" speaking about bowling. At least he didn't create a new term for strikes (no, I won't go any further than that). Berman is a recognizable figure, and if played right, can only HELP the sport, not hurt it.

I think you need to chill out a bit and not take him so literally.

#73067 - 12/15/08 11:41 PM Re: ESPN thread: Someone shut Chris Berman's mouth!!! [Re: Brian Longo]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

Yeah, you're right about it, I was going kinda off on a Dennis Miller-type rant there. It's just that we bowlers are usually put at the bottom of the proverbial food chain by the mainstream and by Hollywood when it comes to it being a sport or us being athletes or not. I just wanna make sure that while we are severely underpaid and mostly under-respected by many, that we work just as hard to make our money as the average Joe the Plumber does to make his, but on a more competitive if not a professional level.

After all there are those who are more worried about being the "man-on" in a proverbial beer frame rather than winning a game/match/title with a clutch shot for our team (in league) or to put food on our family's table (on tour), and that our image as a sport is lowered altogether (from the amateur to the Pro levels) because of this.

Maybe Boomer should watch A League Of Ordinary Gentlemen to get a true capsulization of what these guys go through on Tour rather than a Kingpin or Big Lebowski-type film that lowers our image as athletes to the "beer-league" level.

www.BIGHMW.com

#73148 - 12/16/08 02:28 PM Re: ESPN thread: Someone shut Chris Berman's mouth!!! [Re: BIGHMW]
eastwest Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: No. VA
I see where you're coming from, BIG. I get the same vibe when watching the Berman segway into the bowling each Sunday.
------------
R.I.P. DC ABT Chapter >:-|
------------
My 6th-Round.com MMA news and opinion site

#73152 - 12/16/08 03:09 PM Re: ESPN thread: Someone shut Chris Berman's mouth!!! [Re: eastwest]
General Pounder Offline
3x Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 40/M/Midlothian, IL
You can blame Chris Berman for making the comments but I think that you have to blame ESPN. Look at the commercials that they have to promote bowling. You have WRW out there disco dancing, you have Norm in hippie garb, Rash dressed like he was in a hair band, and TJ looking like a 50s greaser. When he sees that, how can he take it seriously?

#73174 - 12/16/08 06:05 PM Re: ESPN thread: Someone shut Chris Berman's mouth!!! [Re: General Pounder]
BIGHMW Offline
Team USA Contender

I know that those new ESPN PBA commercials are supposed to reflect the different decades and eras the PBA has been around in, but I see your point.

But, at least these are a heck of a lot better than the "Spare Thoughts" ads from last year, especially the really dumb one with Robert Smith doing his "Yankee Doodle"-style rendition on one of them. (I thought TJ's ST promo from last season, involving analyzing his textbook form, was the best of that series).

Now getting back to the current run of promos, we saw Norm Duke in hippy garb, now I just have one question.... where's his VW Bus parked at? (I own a 1963 VW Split-Window Bus myself that I am fixing up.) LOL

www.BIGHMW.com

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.