BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7298 - 02/09/06 04:35 PM What a ****** league experience (so far)
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Central Florida
So, I joined a scratch league at the start of this season looking forward to serious bowling and hopefully getting with a good team. It was more important to have a nice experience rather than be near the top, but the whole year has been the opposite.

My first week with the team there are only 3 of us, but I like the 2 others and I am friends with one of them now. But, the 2nd week one of the 3 leaves to go make up a full team. Can't really blame him for that, but that basically disbands the team and I don't have one.

Three weeks go by with no team, and I get called saying there is a spot for me, so I am pretty excited again. When I go, there are only 2 others again. Then finally we get a 4th person-you would think I would be happy.

Since then, one person dropped, then another one joined the team for 2 weeks then dropped, another one came on, then he dropped, one came on saying he had a 178 average but never bowled a game over 115. Then we kicked him out for a guy who substituted one night who bowled over 200 every game for 2-3 weeks, but now he is only bowling in the 150s-160s.

One week I had the wrong sliding sole on my Dexter shoes and was almost falling everytime I went to the line. I told my team I had accidentally put the wrong sole on, but then one of my team members said that it wasn't the shoe, it was the way I was bowling. I kept hearing all night that it wasn't the shoe, it was me. But how odd that never before that night and never after that night have I had a problem.

That same member is really good, but awfully streaky. She will bowl a 300 followed by a 150. I don't mind the streaky scores, but the problem is that everytime she has a bad game she blames how easy the condition is. She complains on and on that she can't bowl well because the condition is too easy!?!? And then when she has good games, the whole time I hear how she hates bowling and how terrible she is (sarcastically of course).

Now, it seems one member has quit without telling us, and the team doesn't feel much like a team. I just go in every week kind of doing my own thing and muddling through. I just hope we at least keep our 3 people to make it to payout time.

Even though there is decent payout for the winners in the league, we've been near the bottom the whole season. I wouldn't even mind that if the experience itself was worth the $20 a week, but it isn't. Right now I am staying in it just so at least I can get a tad of the payout at the end of the year.

Finally, everytime we bowl someone now, we have this huge looking roster because of all the people we have had come and go. The other teams jokingly ask, "Are you a bowling team or a baseball team"? Some also say we are a football team, and others say we are a basketball team. I sure would like to substitute players if I could.

I'd love to bowl in this league again next year, but only if it is with a better situation. Luckilly I am on 2 other leagues which I am enjoying, but they are handicapped leagues and the competition isn't there as much-that's what I like about the scratch league.

Thanks all for letting me rant, rave, and cry

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#7299 - 02/10/06 04:20 PM Re: What a ****** league experience (so far)
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
Too bad your first experience has been this way. Try another league, don't let this get you down. Don't lock yourself into thinking that it has to be a scratch league. You can have just as much fun and sometimes more, in a competitive handicap league.

#7300 - 02/10/06 07:47 PM Re: What a ****** league experience (so far)
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

I've been in a lot of handicapped leagues, and I am also in one now in addition to the scratch league. They are fun, but I like the competetive atmosphere and the kind of focus that the scratch league requires. The people on the handicapped leagues are fun and nice, but I feel sometimes it's hard to want to focus and concentrate on my game when most the people on my team want to laugh and chat it up.

#7301 - 02/10/06 09:10 PM Re: What a ****** league experience (so far)
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
If you don't have a consistent rouster of teammates then you cannot ever get to the top of the pack. Also if you use bowlers that are not familiar with the house and come in with an inflated average from another house, you can expect a lot of losses. If you have an team average cap, and your team is not close, you will always be at the bottom. So in scratch leagues who you bowl with is of utmost importance. Its almost more important then the average they carry. Because if they carry a high average, but miss many weeks and possibly a roll off or position round here and there, they are not helping you. When I join scratch leagues, I am doubly selective in who I bowl with for this reason. $20 a week is a lot for just the pleasure of throwing three games.

Your situation is frustrating and at this point I don't see a lot of answers that will help you besides quitting the league yourself. And if enough people quit, then the officers will lose teams. Then the house will not be as willing to hold open lanes for their league next season.

Erin

#7302 - 02/16/06 09:35 PM Re: What a ****** league experience (so far)
Dawnhere Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 37 / F / IL
I feel your pain. I went through a similar thing 2 years ago. Girls quitting, you get a sub, a new girl joins, sub says she might want to join permanently if someone else quits... which does happen, but then the sub says she can't..... same problems with one girl complaining about her bowling (oh I suck tonight) after bowling a 200 game, etc. I got so fed up with it. Then we had 2 girls that wanted to 'share' a permanent spot on the team. So you never knew from week to week who was going to show up and bowl (if either of them did show). We of course came in last that year and nobody could understand why???? HELLO!!!

Of course I told them that I wasn't able to bowl next season. I had to find a new team, which I didn't happen to do until the first night of bowling the following fall. Another teams member dropped out at last minute. So I got lucky that year. I didn't "fit in" as well with the new team (they're all quite a bit older than I am, have different tastes in things), but I at least got to bowl.

Dawn

#7303 - 02/17/06 02:13 PM Re: What a ****** league experience (so far)
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
I've never had luck bowling with people I dind't know before the start of the season. I'm doing that in 2 leagues this year and I want to strangle both people.

#7304 - 02/17/06 03:40 PM Re: What a ****** league experience (so far)
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

The one nice thing about all this is that at the end of the league, all the teams get together and form before the start of bowling the following fall. So maybe I will wait and see who all I get paired up with for the following fall and go from there. Some of the teams I know I would love to be on, but just not the one I am on now.

#7305 - 02/19/06 09:52 AM Re: What a ****** league experience (so far)
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
My team is having similar issues. We started out well but midway through our anchor quit due to work hours supposedly. Just 2 weeks ago we got notice our younger 2nd spot bowler quit for personal reasons and now we are left floundering with 2 bowlers and 2 vacants. I don't expect to win much, I look at it as a chance to polish my game for the Summer leagues. The good to come from it is I have a few offers to join Winter league teams this coming Fall as well as some Summer teams. Being new to the house I knew I ran this risk, no more joining teams when I don't know anything about them it makes it hard to enjoy the night out.
Storm - Natural

#7306 - 02/22/06 01:58 PM Re: What a ****** league experience (so far)
SouthShoreBowler Offline
Junior Master

A/S/L: 42/M/Righty (for now)
I feel your pain Pin Bomber. This past summer, I joined a league late and wound up in an aggravating situation. We had a bf/gf couple who would fight constantly (sometimes loudly) and then go on 10 minute smoking breaks in between games (and sometimes in between frames). (*Note* in NY you cannot smoke indoors at bowling alleys.) It was also annoying being the last ones out every week. Luckily that was only a summer league that ended in August.

#7307 - 03/07/06 02:12 AM Re: What a ****** league experience (so far)
Coach04 Offline
Legend

A/S/L: Male/Texas
Your first year in a scratch league, should be spent on making acquaintances, and improving your ability.

The idea is like the old door to door salesman, just get your foot in the door, then make the best of the opportunity.

Most scratch leagues are capped, causing the need for specific entering averages. You need to be one of the people who bowled consistently, and regularly to be considered by an established team needing you next season.

It's just like going to college, somebody has to pay for the education. Right now you are paying with your sweat, and humility. Make sure you get all you can from the experience. Make as many friends as you can, talk to everyone, and make good lasting impressions. You may just be the guy in demand next season.

PS. Forget about the prize fund. If that is what your motivation is, you're on the wrong league. In every scratch league I have seen there are 4 or 5, very experienced teams, that know how to stack against a cap. They will be at the top of the list at season end. Learn what you can from them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Arthritis?
by 82Boat69 - 12/12/19 09:43 PM
Friends made a dumb bet
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:50 PM
Difference between shammy & microfiber towel
by Dylan585 - 12/05/19 07:49 PM
Bowler turns 100
by Dennis Michael - 11/19/19 05:04 PM
Our Bowling Ally is now Chuckie Cheese
by djp1080 - 11/18/19 07:59 PM
Major News in the Industry
by Mkirchie - 11/17/19 04:35 PM
Good morning everyone...
by djp1080 - 11/17/19 12:50 PM
Plastic or Urethane?
by Dennis Michael - 11/17/19 12:45 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.