BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#7286 - 01/26/06 01:35 AM league question
Triumph Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 38/M/Wa
Hi, I have been bowling alot lately. I broke 200 and now the 200 games are comming more often. I would like to join a league but not one that is very serious right now. Are some leagues more "friendly" than outhers? I dont want to embarass my self yet! Hope this makes sense, thanks Triumph

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#7287 - 01/26/06 05:58 PM Re: league question
Led Boots Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 40/M/Delmont, PA
I used to be intimidated by league players. I'm not nearly the bowler you are. My average is around the 150 range. My wife had bowled in leagues before we had met and asked me for years to join a couples league with her but I always refused because I didn't think I was good enough.

This past summer, some friends of ours talked us into joining their league. It is the best thing I ever did for my game. I am more interested in bowling and improving my game then I ever was. On top of that, we have a great time.

Some leagues are more serious than others. You will just have to "shop" around until you find the one that's right for you. Ours is a handicap league with mixed teams. They balance the teams based on average and handicap the matches. This prevents teams from recruiting a "ringer", and the lower skilled players (like myself) are actually contributing to the team rather than just taking a roster spot. They also split up couples so there is no bickering during games smile

With a 200+ average, I don't think embarrassment will be a problem. Just get out there and bowl. You WILL NOT regret it.

#7288 - 01/26/06 08:53 PM Re: league question
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Just jump in. Summer is coming and that season is much shorter then the fall season we are currently in the middle of. So many summer leagues are not as serious as the fall leagues. But any handicap league will suit you. Ask at the front desk for the league co ordinator and ask them about the personalities of their current leagues. They will know what best to suggest for you.

Erin

#7289 - 01/27/06 12:47 AM Re: league question
Pin Bomber Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 31/Male/Central Florida
I think the only league you should probably shy away from would be a scratch league where there is no handicap at all. These are usually pretty competative. Until you get more comfortable or if you are just looking for fun, a mixed, handicap league is a great place to start out.

#7290 - 01/27/06 07:43 AM Re: league question
Just call me Al Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 63/M/ Long Island, NY - right ...
You may want to check on what the weekly fee is. The more competitive leagues charge more to get the prize fund up.
My wife, avg around 120, and I usually bowl in a summer mixed together. How did we find it? just checked the advertisements around the various houses for mixed leagues that said "fun". All these fun leagues are handicap, so don't worry about not being good enough.

#7291 - 01/28/06 10:51 AM Re: league question
Triumph Offline
League Bowler

thanks for the info, I think I will look for a handicap league to join. I dont have a 200 average, I just have afew 2oo+ games along with lots of stinkers but its great fun! Thanks agian, Triumph

#7292 - 01/28/06 12:21 PM Re: league question
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
It doesn't matter what you are averaging. In our league we have people averaging in the 90s and people over 210. It doesn't matter in handicap leagues. League play should also get you thinking about your game more and you'll get better. As you've felt, once bitten by the 200 bug you want more. But it takes work, persistance and dedication. So go for it.

Erin

#7293 - 01/28/06 08:12 PM Re: league question
Triumph Offline
League Bowler

Thanks Atochabsh, yea I think Im addicted to bowling and I love getting a nice 200+ game. I guess Ill give the league a try.

#7294 - 02/16/06 09:44 PM Re: league question
Dawnhere Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 37 / F / IL
I agree with the summer league. We had such a fun time bowling a 9 pin no tap league last summer. It was a mixed league. Me and 3 old men LOL! So our team name was Beauty and the Beasts. Was it fun to win? of course! But if we didn't, so what. Nobody really cared. We all helped each other out when we did bad, supported each other with high 5's and good job! when we did well. And we had a lot of fun inbetween smile
I'd like to bowl that same league again this summer. Gotta get a team together though. Anyone care to join me? LOL
Dawn

#7295 - 02/28/06 01:43 AM Re: league question
bigbowlla300 Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 45/male/Kansas
I made it a point to bowl against the better bowlers, I joined a league when I was just starting out, it helped me gain confidence plus I got pointers from them providing I wasn't outbowling them at the time.LOL I think it's important to jump into the better leagues right away, the longer you avoid the better ones, the longer it'll take you to make the move. You'll gain confidence that much sooner and realize that you're actually a better bowler than you give yourself credit for. Worked for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.