BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72318 - 12/07/08 12:00 PM Finally, a proper video
Columbee Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 35 / Male / Singapore

Hi, i am back as promised. Took these videos on separate occasions. The top one is the earlier version. Kindly advice on my backswing and release. Can't wait to see my weaknesses.
Lanemaster - Terminator Rebellion
HG: 266
HS: 652
Avg : 190

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#72319 - 12/07/08 01:22 PM Re: Finally, a proper video [Re: Columbee]
Satyuros Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 19/m/Alberta Canada
Hello there. Well firstly, I'll start by saying that your form isn't too bad. Good 5 step approach, you're timing is pretty good. Your backswing looks a little forced, which is why the ball ends up behind you at the top of your swing. This is where things start to get a little wonky. You've probably heard of this, but what you're doing is called "suitcasing" the ball. If you pause the video when you release the ball, you'll see that your ball is pretty far away horizantally from your foot. So you have no choice but to either send the ball straight down the lane, close to the gutter, or from left to right towards the headpin. That's why I noticed you have a few shots going brookland. So this is what I would do to try and help you fix this, because at one point I had a case of suit casing it a bit too. You have to relax your armswing, so that it's falling back naturally, no muscle. This will probably cause your backswing to shorten, but to stop the suitcasing, probably necessary. Try excercises like going to the foul line with one step approaches, just letting the ball fall from your starting position, and try to relase the ball closer to your foot. Keep your ball speed nice and slow so you stayed balanced and you can focus on keeping the ball close to your sliding foot. you'll probably want to stand further right on the approach when doing this too. If you notice you're starting to cross boards, then you're probably doing it right and improving your release. Those are the big things I see. One of the other guys here will probably add some insight, since I don't know how well I explained that, so feel free for me to clarify, and I'm sure the others will help too.
Storm T-road Pearl
Ebonite Maxim Blazing Fire
Hammer Black Widow Venom
Morich Seek and Destroy(old)

High Single: 300
High Series: 747
League Average: 209

#72324 - 12/07/08 01:32 PM Re: Finally, a proper video [Re: Columbee]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
I like your form. Don't see much wrong with it. You have a good knee bend, pretty fluid swing, etc.

I see only two things. It appears you are lifting the ball up in your backswing and pulling it behind your back slightly. As it then comes down, it ends up too far away from your ankle.

In the second video, it looks like you look down at the foul line during your release and then look at the pins without following the ball's path (I'm assuming this based on watching your head). Try to keep your eyes on the target until the ball passes over it and then follow the ball to and through the pins.

Try to keep your finish position until the ball hits the pins. On some shots you step off to the left, but it doesn't look like you're completely off balance. Maybe just slightly - because of the ball being too far away from your ankle, I guess.

Oh, one more thing. Try to take a video from the side as well. Easier to see timing issues etc.

Bowling klub

#72326 - 12/07/08 01:36 PM Re: Finally, a proper video [Re: Satyuros]
Revs_300 Offline
Dick Ritger Certified Coach

A/S/L: 30/M/Ga
definitely spend time working closely on an unforced pendulum swing. You should have complete follow through after your release, in turn helping you to come out of the ball better and be much more accurate. On your second step, push the ball straight out, not up or down then out, and let your arm swing freely through your back swing. as you release the ball, all while maintaining complete focus on your target, bring your arm swing all the way through. no short arming it! This causes you to muscle it and pull the ball as you did in a few of your shot that went to the eastside of Brooklyn.

Don't try and fix too much at one time. It takes repetition, patience, and an understanding of what you are trying to accomplish.

It doesn't take muscle to hook and rev a ball, it takes technique.

Good Luck!

Glad to be back bowling after 7 years off!

#72337 - 12/07/08 06:43 PM Re: Finally, a proper video [Re: Revs_300]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
I agree with what most of my collegues have said. I think however, if you relaxed and developed a free swing that would vastly improve your game. Also I like how you get your body out the swing plane, however, you pull the ball behind your back and out of its swing plane. The combination of muscling the ball and pulling the ball behind your back and you dipping your shoulder and getting your body out of the way makes it look like you are chicken-winging every shot.

And because I have a feeling that you might ask how to stop muscling the ball. I suggest thinking of your swing in the following way: Your ball is the engine and your hand is along for the ride. Meaning let the ball do the work and fall and swing from the shoulder.
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#72341 - 12/07/08 09:01 PM Re: Finally, a proper video [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Columbee Offline
League Bowler

Thanks guys. Basically, my type of play is simple. At stance on the 20th board and target between 10th and 12th board. i noticed that my approaches were drifting too. That was why i side-stepped on the 2nd and tried to slide back on the last. Did this "side-step" caused my backswing to go behind my back ?
Moreover, i tried to release below my head but i often out-of balance.

#72358 - 12/08/08 09:50 AM Re: Finally, a proper video [Re: Luksa]
Columbee Offline
League Bowler

I will try take a side video in a few days time. Its school holidays now. Quite tough to get a lane, especially after my working hours.

On the other hand, i am experiencing some pain in my right knee. I guess the "muscle memory" is preventing me to slide and bend even more.

#72378 - 12/08/08 12:56 PM Re: Finally, a proper video [Re: Columbee]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
I agree with Satyuros that you are releasing the ball to far from your leg. Let your arm relax and bring your hand in closer to your foot. The ball should pass within an inch or two of your leg/foot.

#72685 - 12/11/08 11:05 PM Re: Finally, a proper video [Re: Columbee]
JSmith2009 Offline
Bantam

A/S/L: 16, Male, WI
While others have mentioned the release point, I wouldn't worry so much about that.

The reason for that is because of your backswing and your body, forcing the ball out and around. Someone called it suitcasing, I call it "chicken-winging". Bringing the ball behind the back forces you to either let your arm go "straight" out (which when it's started behind, going straight out is straight to the gutter) or straight across, to the wrong side of the pocket.

A few things to try to fix this next time you bowl - move your body and the ball. In every shot I can tell from, you have a very square body. Try letting your shoulder down a little bit. This will help your "pendulum" arm swing, because you won't have to muscle the ball from so far up like that.

Shift your body. Try YouTube'ing Patrick Allen. Watch a few videos of him, and I think you may see what I mean immediately. When he starts out, he has the ball in front (maybe a little off to the left) of his left shoulder, and it's straight out, with his body sort of cocked to the side. This allows him to get a high(er) backswing, but keep it loose. Your body is square to start and it appears you have the ball tucked inside a little too much, which forces you to take your arm back behind your back because you're so square. An old trick my coach would tell me - if you're bowling with a friend, or even someone on another lane, have them line up behind you (behind in the bowling area, not on the approach) and make sure they can see the ball.

Good luck.
Hammer No Mercy Beat'n
Ebonite Total NV

HG - 289 (dang 9 pin)
HS - 746
'09 Summer Avg - 219/178 (adult-jr. house shot / sport shot)

#72689 - 12/11/08 11:38 PM Re: Finally, a proper video [Re: JSmith2009]
Columbee Offline
League Bowler

Talking about PA, i actually followed quite closely on Parker Bohn's. I had a few games last night, went out quite well. Upon release, i did noticed my releasing hand is coming from below toward my face, rather than the side. My knee was bending further, my trailing leg is reaching further to the side touching the approach.From then, i knew i have done the right thing.
My average actually shot up to 195 from 180(in my profile). Quite a good progress, i can say. But more work still need to done on the swing though.
To me, PA's approach looks abit unorthodox. Cocked his body to the side and straightened out during the 2nd step, i don't think i can do that. Most importantly, i need to feel comfortable.
Will post a video in couple of days. Stay tuned.

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.