BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72138 - 12/04/08 09:37 PM Some Videos of me.
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 18/male/Tennessee
I wasn't to worried about how many pins I was knocking over, I was just focusing on my form so that everyone can help me get better. Here are some videos.

Lost my balance on this one ^^^^^^^^

Thanks for watching, let me know what you think.
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#72146 - 12/05/08 02:10 AM Re: Some Videos of me. [Re: Justinmill14]
Luksa Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Slovenia
I'm able to see only the third video, all others are "no longer available"?

Otherwise, from what I could see, the first two steps look excellent, but then when the swing starts the other steps aren't that excellent anymore.

As far as I can tell, you are not letting the ball fall into the swing and then you are lifting it up in your backswing - bending your elbow in the process. In the last two steps, you basically run and throw the ball forward. That's why you have no balance.

You need to concentrate on the pushaway. Let the ball fall, don't try to stop it from falling. Then you won't have to lift the ball up in your backswing.

Also, concentrate oh the speed of the last two steps. Don't think about running. You have to stay relaxed and walk, not run. Yes, the before-last step should be short and faster than the previous steps, but it shouldn't be as fast as you do it.

Bowling klub

#72156 - 12/05/08 06:03 AM Re: Some Videos of me. [Re: Justinmill14]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
You have "Little kid syndrome" this is what happens when kids that have been bowling for a while hit a growth spurt and still bowl like a little kid. Meaning you run to the line and chuck the ball down like a little kid who needs the extra umph to get the ball to hit the pins and not deflect into the gutter.

You need to develop an armswing and stop running to the line. In practice, hold your balance until the ball hits the pins or give yourself a gutter ball, if you hold your balance until the ball hits the pins give yourself a strike.

You need to learn a good arm swing before you really work on much else besides balance, the balance drill promotes a smooth swing without chucking the ball since chucking the ball down the lane pulls you off balance. Take a nice fluid practice swing before each shot and feel the ball swing from your shoulder on it's own without helping it.

#72160 - 12/05/08 07:34 AM Re: Some Videos of me. [Re: CoachJim]
cgeorg Offline

A/S/L: Pittsburgh, Pa
All but 1 of the videos are "No longer available". Can happen if you modify title or something after pasting the link. Please go back, get the links again, and re-paste them.

Splicing the video together in Windows Movie Maker or whatever the mac equivalent is wouldn't be bad either smile

That my boy... that's pro quality.

#72166 - 12/05/08 10:04 AM Re: Some Videos of me. [Re: cgeorg]
bryhardt Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 35/M/St. Louis
Your fast feet at the end of the approach, falling off the shot, and other items of concern can be contributed to very early timing. This means the bowling ball is ahead of your feet during your approach. Take a look at the following two still images I pulled from the video.

The above image is your second step. With a 5 step approach, the ball should be in the pushaway zone during the second step. Here you can see its in the start of the downswing. The first thing I would work with you on is keeping the ball above waist high at this point in the approach, then letting the ball fall into the swing during the next step.

Just to reiterate how early your current timing is, this is your third step in the approach. The ball has reached the top of the backswing while you have two more steps to go. Your arm is bent because you have to hold it up there during the next two steps. And your feet are fast also because you have to complete two steps during the forward downswing to the release which generally takes 1 step.

#72194 - 12/05/08 02:00 PM Re: Some Videos of me. [Re: bryhardt]
Lefty Offline
Legend

A/S/L: 37 / M / Rochester, NY
To add to what bryhardt said, look at the second picture and look how contorted your elbow and wrist are. Just let your arm relax and swing. You're loosing more ball speed and revs by trying to keep your hand in whatever position you're trying to keep it in than if you just relaxed.

#72225 - 12/05/08 11:14 PM Re: Some Videos of me. [Re: Lefty]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Thanks to everyone, and I got really lucky tonight, after my bowling match was over one of my friends and his dad that I bowl with came in, and a Bronze certified coach came in with them, I stayed after to bowl with them and get him to help me, he didn't charge anything and is going to start coming every couple of weeks and helping us. He told me pretty much what you guys were saying, he was telling me how I had early timing and also talked about how I bent my elbow. One other thing he talked about was how I started the ball which was something none of you could see because all the videos were from behind me. He helped me with that and we also got my arm straightened out to where it is almost straight so hopefully by the next time he comes I will be able to have it completely straight. Onnce I started doing everything he showed me, I noticed that I am getting almost a completely different type of rotation, which I dont guess is a bad thing either.
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

#72233 - 12/06/08 12:29 AM Re: Some Videos of me. [Re: Justinmill14]
bryhardt Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: 35/M/St. Louis
That is great. Good you have a Bronze Coach there to help you. It is always fun to watch a bowler take something very simple early in the approach to improve and it trickles all the way down the approach to the release. That is the biggest difference between getting suggestions from friends and a coach. Your friends could tell you all day long to not bend your arm etc... but without understanding what the real cause is which your coach can catch, you won't be able to change it.

#72255 - 12/06/08 01:06 PM Re: Some Videos of me. [Re: bryhardt]
Justinmill14 Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

Your right Bryhardt, and when he would tell me each of those things he would tell me what each of those things could cause, he told me how keeping my my elbow bent has been what is causing me to be inconsistent with my revs. It really helped how we would explain each thing that and tell me what I needed to do to correct it and how it would help me.
Cell Pearl
Furious
Reign
Natural
Hammer Onyx Vibe
Columbia 300 Outburst

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plugging balance holes
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 07:27 PM
Quitting my League
by BOSStull - Yesterday at 07:20 PM
2020 Nationals
by Doogie - 03/20/20 10:30 AM
This is a damned shame
by 82Boat69 - 03/17/20 07:48 PM
Belmo and the 2020 US Open
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:45 PM
COVID-10 and center closings
by BOSStull - 03/17/20 07:39 PM
Unimportant Wood Lane Advice
by 82Boat69 - 03/01/20 02:06 PM
The price of new bowling balls
by BOSStull - 02/29/20 01:54 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2020 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.