BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#72095 - 12/04/08 02:29 PM Important features for a center
bluesman_vt_2002 Offline
Bracket Donor

A/S/L: 40/M/VT
Recently the owner of the center that I have been bowling at for years asked to talk to me for a bit. He knows that I have 12 years of management background and 20+ years of bowling background and he is looking for a General Manager for the center. I'm interested, but because I have time before he's completely ready to move, there is time for research and a plan.

My question is: what do you consider important features in a center. Tangible or not. My plan is to create an initial pros and cons list for the center weighed against perceived important features, and then in addition to that, align my specific strengths and weaknesses to address those areas.

My initial pros are:

1.Location is good
2.Parking is excellent
3.Prices are competitive on bowling compared to local centers
4.Ample locker space
5.Decent amenities video, pool, air hockey, food, drink
6.House equipment, eg. Balls and Shoes etc are decent
7.Ample space in the concourse behind lanes
8.Has a Pro Shop
9.Decent leagues and participation
10.Consistency in league bowlers year to year.

I'm working on a cons list right now, but the start would be:

1.Staff needs work or needs to be revamped
2.Staff need training, particularly in the machine area - thought I have a resource for that.
3.Fixing the "step-child" reputation
4.Paint and polish
5.Upgrades of capitol equipment, unlikely in the short term.

Look forward to hearing thoughts.
Storm Hy-Road | Ebonite Mission | Ebonite Complete NV | Plastic

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#72097 - 12/04/08 02:58 PM Re: Important features for a center [Re: bluesman_vt_2002]
CoachJim Offline
USBC Silver Coach

A/S/L: Reston, Virginia USA
I'm +1 for an IPBSIA certified Pro Shop and a silver level coach available for lessons, this will attract bowlers to your center as word of mouth gets around.

PBA Experience league with PBA patterns and Nationals pattern practice on weekends. I would pay $40 to $50 for a couple hours of practice on tougher lane conditions so when I show up for tournaments and the Nationals I'm not blind sided by these conditions.

Good food, you don't need to charge a ton of money for good food, with fresh ingredients. Good food will get people in the door.

Clean Bathrooms.

Clean approaches, don't think about starting a league without sending someone to check for spilled drinks and the like from open play bowlers. That's how I got hurt.

High scoring conditions on all other nights but the PBA night, anyone that wants to see how good they are can bowl PBAx league, the rest of the time bowlers are just there to have fun, so let them have it and keep the shot consistent and high scoring.

#72101 - 12/04/08 03:37 PM Re: Important features for a center [Re: CoachJim]
Cryssen Offline
League Bowler

A/S/L: 29/M/Louisville, KY, USA
You mentioned it has plenty of room in the concourse, my biggest issue with houses around here is the lack of enough seating for your leagues. There's usually 1 chair short for a 5 man team, and heaven forbid someone's significant other shows up to watch.

Consistent racks, competent mechanic on duty at all times
15# Circle Rio Plastic(Spare Ball)

HGS: 274
HSS: 732

My Team's Stats:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmPIj_prGtsodGd1dTg5bEVnVFRSR0VES05QZWY4WGc

#72104 - 12/04/08 04:06 PM Re: Important features for a center [Re: Cryssen]
Atochabsh Offline
USBC Bronze Coach

A/S/L: 50/F/California
Our center has a fantastic manager. And if I could go by why our center is full 24/7 its because of him. He is easy going but still expects work from his staff. His staff don't just stand around killing time. He has consistent staff, which tells me that he 1. pays ok 2. is decent to work for He pays a mechanic premium and we have a good one. So between the two of them they are a matched set. He knows the value of keeping his bowlers happy, whether that be allowing parties, fixing lane damage balls (even replacing some), donating lineage for charity events or running specials to keep the lanes full. But I think one of his strongest pros is his relationship he has with his league secretaries. He has about 20 of them year round. He helps them out by having staff call bowlers to fill leagues, house does their stats, does their banking, accomdates them on pre and post bowls. Some of this stuff is supposed to be the league Officers' responsibilities but if the house wants to do it, they keep the leagues from going anywhere else and attract new leagues whenever space is available.

The center is old, has not been remodeled like most these days. Has auto scoring but that's about it. The bathrooms are outdated, and sometimes not 100% working. The A/C sometimes is not working and sometimes the heat works too well. There's really not much to recommend it besides a great mechanic that keeps the lanes consistent and high scoring (unless its not supposed to be) and our manager. Whose been in the bowling business for over 30 years and in our local Hall of Fame.

Erin

#72113 - 12/04/08 05:22 PM Re: Important features for a center [Re: Atochabsh]
Silent Mike Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 39/M/Poconos PA
Pros:

1) proper Pro Shop with qualified driller and a decent selection/prices.
2) equipment in good working order.
3) clean facilties, snack bar, bar, general appearance.
4) adequate seating and space in bowlers area.
5) bowling specials and/or programs for "regulars"
6) customer service!!!!!
7) might seem insignificant but having a rack below the ball return for spare balls is SO nice to have.
8) Sound/entertainment system for open play/cosmic

Cons:

1) Inconsistent oiling from day to day, week to week.
2) Equipment breaking down constantly.
3) Improper controls of heat/cooling/humidity/etc
4) Out dated lanes in poor condition.
5) Measures not in place to safe guard league pay outs. (I've been stolen from twice, ask me how this makes me feel).
6) Poor lighting in the parking lot (safety item).
7) Shortage of locker space.
8) In experienced mechanics.

This list could go on and it may be small items just a few things Ive seen in my travels over the years. Purely my opinion.
Storm - Natural

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Plastic or Urethane?
by LindaDelcamp - 11/12/19 03:19 PM
Good morning everyone...
by Mkirchie - 11/10/19 09:52 PM
What is the best ball to get?
by djp1080 - 11/10/19 09:02 PM
Which fork on the Hy-Road should I take?
by Mkirchie - 11/02/19 07:05 AM
End of Days
by BOSStull - 11/02/19 06:44 AM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.