BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71919 - 12/02/08 05:48 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: JedC]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Nothing against you, eastwest. My comment actually went to the post before yours. Yes, humans are emotional. But, their choice of words used exemplifies things like their level of maturity, mental capacity, expertness, accomplishment, and sometimes their lack of formal consciousness, education, and literacy.

Believe it or not, the words you select say a lot about you. And, the perception you leave with the listener defines your formal cognizance.

As bowlers, many of us are already thought of as portly, beer drinkers. Unintelligent boor is NOT something I wish to be called.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#71928 - 12/02/08 06:42 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Dennis Michael]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael

Believe it or not, the words you select say a lot about you. And, the perception you leave with the listener defines your formal cognizance.

As bowlers, many of us are already thought of as portly, beer drinkers. Unintelligent boor is NOT something I wish to be called.

Nor I. I like how Dennis is kind of touching on the Buddhist teaching of Right Speech without knowing it (or perhaps knowing about it). I think great deal of people nowadays would benefit from Right Speech especially the part about not babbling. grin

Edited by TheDemolitionMan (12/02/08 06:43 PM)
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#71930 - 12/02/08 07:08 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Well, Buddha and I have a lot in common. We grew up together, and went to the same school.

Paulie "Buddha" Kaminski, that is.

Edited by Dennis Michael (12/02/08 07:10 PM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#71933 - 12/02/08 07:22 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Dennis Michael]
TheDemolitionMan Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: 23/Male/California, US
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
Well, Buddha and I have a lot in common. We grew up together, and went to the same school.

Paulie "Buddha" Kaminski, that is.

Ha Ha...You're funny Dennis. rotfl grin
Be like water making its way through cracks. Don't be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

#71959 - 12/03/08 04:52 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: TheDemolitionMan]
180fury Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 30/m/hatton,al
humm demo you made me google something today thank you. i was looking for something to google and wiki. laugh thumbsup

in my bag :
15# track--up rising
15# brunswick--super zone powerkoil international release
15# track--kinetic energy
16# morich--awesome finish
15# ebonite--clash
14# lanehawk-- lucky strike

#71993 - 12/03/08 03:00 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: 180fury]
TenPin_ Offline
Regional Pro Contender

A/S/L: 32/M/TX
First off, the standard disclaimers: I wasn't offended, I was a bit surprised, I've never really understood wearing the mics, and do wish all professional athletes projected themselves...um...professionally.

That said, I'm in the "double standard is the bigger issue" camp, and am surprised that the double standard was only barely touched upon by a couple others. Tiger was mentioned, as was some one punching a wall out of anger, but what about all the violence displayed by football players, hockey players, soccer players (um, the soccer fans!), etc? And many of those are seen on broadcast TV. Would you rather be exposed to strong emotional language, or some one with a broken nose spewing blood from a fist fight? Or maybe that is *exactly* what bowling needs...full contact drama! (ok, not really...I don't know what bowling really needs, if I ever figure it out, I will let everyone know).

I tend to watch football at work (tends to be the only thing on and I don't have control of the TV) and have lost track of the number of times I've seen a player / players shoving and getting physical with each other after a play is over. Same for hockey, fans can't get enough of the fights that often break out, and the networks aren't censoring those. And nobody has even mentioned the likes of the UFC which along with it's "reality" show gives the impression of short tempered always angry ready to fight to the death people.

I agree it is natural to express frustration or anger, and I agree that how it is expressed is a learned response. So is it better to be exposed to swearing under your breath (and sometimes a bit louder), or to go beat the [fill in the blank] out of somebody?

The best answer is probably "neither". But we all know that isn't going to happen.

#72020 - 12/03/08 06:39 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: TenPin_]
Calvin Pistorio Offline
State Champion Contender

A/S/L: 32/m/maryland
Football and hockey are natural aggressive violent contact sports, so any fights to come of it are just a tad above the normal contact for the sport. You can't compare that to a non contact sport like bowling or golf. Basketball is slightly less violent since they try to reduce contact but it happens. Baseball is less even violent though and they do show the shouting matches and the brawls that breakout on TV at least briefly.
HS:763

#72025 - 12/03/08 07:24 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Calvin Pistorio]
Scott Gannon Offline
Hall of Famer Contender

A/S/L: 51/M/California
I understand both sides of this story. Certainly everyone reacts differently and some people are as has been said more colorful and use more colorful language. That being said I think when you are a professional and on a professional telecast you should be held to a standard that is different from the everyday Joe in a league.

Me personally I do not cuss when bowling. I have become very good at keeping my negative emotions under control and try not to react too much when a throw a bad shot.
Fall 2013-14-League Average-178, HG-228, HS-631

#72051 - 12/04/08 04:42 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Scott Gannon]
180fury Offline
Action Bowler

A/S/L: 30/m/hatton,al
hockey rules ! hunstville havoc is my team to watch but i watch it on TV a lot. thats my sport to watch. and ufc. i work with a guy that fights. and i can tell you that you don't tell him that his sport stinks. he takes it really serious. scott's a big guy and knows his way around a ring thats for sure.
sorry i seem to love violent sports. being in the south it seems to be a rule here. but bowling isn't violent unless you make it that way. i can only imagine it but can't see it. pros shouldn't be held to no standard. they make money to do things we do for free. makes no sense. i pay they play ??? why? but thats a whole different topic there. they should just be there selfs. thats what i would want to be if i was a pro. i'm a pro at video games about it. laugh

in my bag :
15# track--up rising
15# brunswick--super zone powerkoil international release
15# track--kinetic energy
16# morich--awesome finish
15# ebonite--clash
14# lanehawk-- lucky strike

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.