BowlingFans.com, The site for the fans, by the fans....
Sponsored Links

ChatBox:

Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#71865 - 12/02/08 08:31 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: cgeorg]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
Getting the ice and snow out of your satellite dish can be a pain. And, I really don't understand the technical expert telling me to throw a snowball at it. But, it worked.

180fury, I bet bird shot would have done it too.

Edited by Dennis Michael (12/02/08 08:34 AM)
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#10100 - 1 second ago Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links Online   content
Legend

A/S/L: Mountain View, CA
#71873 - 12/02/08 09:33 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: m/ Michigan
Dennis,
See,..those techies in Idaho know a few things besides growing potatoes. Could have chucked a tater at it too I guess.

As for the bird shot, maybe a #8 shot.. keep those holes small...lol.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#71878 - 12/02/08 10:31 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: cgeorg]
eastwest Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: No. VA
Guys, I'm not knocking him for being HUMAN, lol :-) We're all human and all talk like that! I'm saying the fact they decide to broadcast that it the issue.
------------
R.I.P. DC ABT Chapter >:-|
------------
My 6th-Round.com MMA news and opinion site

#71879 - 12/02/08 10:43 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: eastwest]
Dennis Michael Offline
Virtual League Champion

A/S/L: M/Barrington, Ill
This is NOT a Human response, that would just be to show disappoitment. It is a learned response to use specific language, that is not appropriate over the airwaves.

But, the program is taking a risk that this will happen if they keep the mics on.

Sorry. We don't all talk like that.
Legends - L/M Xtreme Damage 15# Strong pearl

#71880 - 12/02/08 10:55 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Dennis Michael]
Chubbs Offline
Team USA Contender

A/S/L: 30/M/Niceville, FL
Originally Posted By: Dennis Michael
This is NOT a Human response, that would just be to show disappoitment. It is a learned response to use specific language, that is not appropriate over the airwaves.

But, the program is taking a risk that this will happen if they keep the mics on.

Sorry. We don't all talk like that.

Thank you, Dennis thumbsup. You beat me to it.

Quintana...that creep can roll, man. -Dude

Wow, that ball hit like it was plastic. -Jeff Carter

#71881 - 12/02/08 11:10 AM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Dennis Michael]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

I'm not so sure ESPN "decided" to broadcast that. Its a live telecast, and the word in question happened to be picked up by a live mic.
I think that the Sunday show is repeated on Monday on ESPN 2, and although I did not see it Monday, I bet that little comment by Simard it was edited out.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#71889 - 12/02/08 12:13 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Tim Gerard]
eastwest Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: No. VA
Heh, ok after this post I'm done with this thread. I can't seem to make myself clear here without receiving fire.

1) I don't swear when I bowl. Some guys do, and that's ok. It doesn't bother me PERSONALLY, I just think it's bad for bowling to be on TV.

2) Emotions are natural, and all humans are emotional. Emotions and words are two different things. Again, I feel the words being pipe through the mics is a bad decision by ESPN.

3) Hope everyone's dish troubles are resolved.

Ciao.
------------
R.I.P. DC ABT Chapter >:-|
------------
My 6th-Round.com MMA news and opinion site

#71899 - 12/02/08 01:23 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: eastwest]
NewEnglandBowler Offline
High Roller

A/S/L: 24/m/MA, USA
Originally Posted By: eastwest
Emotions are natural, and all humans are emotional.

millions of high school students will disagree with you on that (and would be wrong, of course). a lot of people in high school take fire sometimes for being "emo," but usually those who do exemplify it.

on another note, i try not to swear while bowling as it is a junior league, but i am usually muttering under my breath and usually at how terrible and out of focus the last shot was when i do. Probably not the best method for regrouping, hopefully when i get that book Focused for Bowling i will be able to change it.

EDIT: Finally, i am not a bracket donor anymore grin

Edited by K.M. Ryan (12/02/08 01:24 PM)
HS: 766 (4/25/13)
Career:
HG: 300 (4/11/12) VG Nano
HS: 766 (4/25/13) Jet Black Taboo

League
Innovate, First Blood, Jet Black Taboo, T-Zone Orange

#71902 - 12/02/08 01:44 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: eastwest]
Tim Gerard Offline
Virtual League Champion

Originally Posted By: eastwest

2) Emotions are natural, and all humans are emotional. Emotions and words are two different things. Again, I feel the words being pipe through the mics is a bad decision by ESPN.

No fire intended eastwest..

I don't think ESPN consciously decided to let swearing be "piped"
through the mics. Its something that slipped through. They should have a 7 second delay to nip that stuff in the bud. Maybe they don't for bowling because they don't view it as a threat for swearing, or acting badly, and its a Live broadcast. If they do have a delay,..then someone is asleep at the wheel.

I have also heard swearing in all the other sports as well. They are Live events, and I imagine its hard to catch a swear word before its broadcasted over the air.

Motiv Raptor
Motiv Sigma Tour
Motiv Octane
Motiv Sniper spare ball

#71906 - 12/02/08 02:17 PM Re: More swearing on ESPN... [Re: Tim Gerard]
JedC Offline
Junior

A/S/L: 24/m/KY
Originally Posted By: Tim Gerard
I have also heard swearing in all the other sports as well. They are Live events, and I imagine its hard to catch a swear word before its broadcasted over the air.

This. And not only do they pick up the language sometimes, you sometimes see unprofessional action from these "professionals" in other sports. Pitcher gives up 7 runs, sometimes he walks away quietly. Sometimes he punches coolers, throws things in the dugout, breaks a bat, yells at himself or his teammates in misdirected anger and no one bats an eye. That's just him "letting off steam".

Bowler says "GD" or the dreaded F bomb on TV and people want to hang him for being unprofessional. Sorry, but if I had children, I'd much rather them say a harmless word that people arbitrarily consider a "curse word" than to start punching or throwing things if they don't perform well. Words don't hurt people. Things being thrown can. The next time someone says "son of a b" after leaving a 10 pin on your league, be glad. He could've been like a baseball pitcher "letting off steam" and started throwing equipment.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Angel, Community Manager 
Savings That Support BowlingCommunity.com
We need your help!
Rather than begging for donations we're asking you to do one simple thing to help keep these forums running smooth:
When shopping for anything on Amazon.com or eBay please use these links to go to the web sites.

This won't cost you a cent!
You'll still get the exact same low prices, deals and free or low cost shipping; it doesn't change anything for you at all! The items do not have to be bowling related; all purchases made through these links help us! Amazon.com and eBay will pay us a small commission for every sale and it's helping us cover the expenses.

BowlingCommunity.com Recent Posts
Resurface is always a thrilling topic
by SteveH - 09/17/19 11:06 AM
Leading with the ring finger...
by djp1080 - 09/12/19 12:24 AM
USBC Rule 12
by Dennis Michael - 09/10/19 07:26 AM
USBC General Playing Rule 18 Change
by Mkirchie - 09/03/19 03:33 PM
Terms Of Use
Use of this community signifies your agreement to the Community Standards and Conditions of Use.

About BowlingFans.com | Contact Us | Advertise With Us | Site Map
Use of this website constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. | Material Connection Disclosure

Copyright © 1998 - 2019 - usrbingeek LLC | Copyright Policy
BowlingFans.com, BowlingFans, The Right Approach, Kegler's Connection, Tour411, BallBeat, BowlingCommunity.com, BowlSearch.com, and Bowling News You Can Use are trademarks of usrbingeek LLC. All other trademarks and tradenames are property of their respective owners.